Brandon Wood Interview - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Brandon Wood Interview

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brandon Wood Interview

Postby theclefe » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:49 am

Not much in the way of content, but I think this guy is going to be a better prospect than both Uptons.

Their is also an interview with Matt Cain.

http://www.baseballnotebook.com/essay.a ... don%20Wood
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:59 pm

Somewhat of an odd statment to make about him being better then both Upton's. One cause Justin hasn't even played yet and going by just scouts seems to be much better at the time they were both drafted. Two cause B.J. is the same age and playing just as good if not better at AAA.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby theclefe » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:30 pm

hybrid wrote:Somewhat of an odd statment to make about him being better then both Upton's. One cause Justin hasn't even played yet and going by just scouts seems to be much better at the time they were both drafted. Two cause B.J. is the same age and playing just as good if not better at AAA.

I guess I should have clarified more. I think Wood will have better long-term fantasy value.

1. Because he is playing solid defense at short, and is not a threat to be moved to a different position. Though he does have Ackbar and Cabrera ahead of him in Anaheim (thats right) short of a move to OF, I think he will stay at SS. Upton has been tried at 3b and his defense has been shotty. Justin has been rumored for a move to the OF and has Stephan Drew to contend with. Time will tell, but a quality SS has move value.

2. He has easily surpassed BJ offensively this year. 35 Hrs, 90+ Rbis and a .311 avg at this point compared to 14hr. 59 rbi .301 avg. A knock against the numbers is Wood is in A, Upton in AAA facing better pitching. I understand that, but the power is still there and he is a year younger. Time will tell on Justin.

3. He will be coming up in the American League, with one of the top spending teams in baseball, in a strong lineup someday featuring McPherson, Kotchman and others. BJ will head to the Devil Rays, dealing with a <50 million dollar payroll and facing the Boston and New York rotations 38 times. Justin should be surrounded by quality players in the national league. push.

They could all be quality players, even superstars, but those are some small factors I have for taking Wood over Both of them. Most important to me is #1 because I have a young team, minus shortstop. So, staying at that position is important. They could all be a top guy at SS... and 2b, but only an above average contributor elsewhere.

I do value your opinion, Hybrid. Do you think I am off base?
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hybrid » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:42 pm

Well I will just take a look at B.J. and Wood since Justin hasn't had an AB yet.

Both of where they will end up is suspect to me, I can see both of them moving to 3B. Wood has Cabrera & Aybar in front of him as you mentioned. If the Angels didn't have Kendrick at 2B then I might agree Wood would stay at SS and Aybar move to 2B. Kendrick however makes that a mute point, the most logical explanation is moving Wood off to 3B. As Aybar has greater range and arm, though he still tends to be erratic. Also Aybar is nothing to dismiss with the bat, after a slow start hitting only .226 after 40 games, he has his avg. up to .290 ... hit .330 in High A last year.

California League stats should all be taken with a grain of salt, primarily cause it is a great hitters league. Wood's year defiantly has him climbing up prospect lists, but his power stroke doesn't have me convinced he is more then a 20-30 HR guy. It will be interesting to see how he handles AA, IMO it will be more telling then what he is doing now.

Upton is still an easily better hitting prospect and I don't see how Wood would have any contention to that unless you were strictly talking power. If you want to get technical Upton is only 6 months older and is 2 level above Wood. They are basically hitting the same avg. with Wood in a more hitter friendly league. Upton last year breezed through AA and AAA as a 19 year old. Wood is turning into a very good prospect, but I don't see how you can make a case for Wood being better. Upton has a MLB ready bat and much better plate discipline, you can't say the same for Wood who is only 6 months younger.

The power area of their games seems fairly even to me, I see both as 20-30 HR hitters. I don't see Wood having the plate discipline to carry this type of stat much further, not to mention I question how much of this power is legit coming from his league.

On the line ups of each team, the Rays and the Angels. Just cause the Angels have more money doesn't mean they will have a better offense. This year is a perfect example, believe it or not the Rays are scoring more runs this year then the Angels. Both have good hitters coming up to, not just the Angels ... Upton, Delmon, Rocco, Bankston.

Anyways IMO, Upton has the advantage in runs, avg, sb's. Depending on where Wood would bat he could have more rbi's... and I think HR's are pretty much about the same. Just my take on it.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Jenkins » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:52 pm

I wouldnt get too high on Wood until he gets out of High A ball. For one he hits in the most hitter friendly park in the most hitter friendly league. There is a reason he hasnt gotten pushed ahead of Aybar. Dont get me wrong, this guy has potential (obviously), but lets not get ahead of ourselves. Not trying to burst your bubble, just trying to keep everyone grounded on this guy.
Jenkins
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby clarkw267 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:22 pm

Clefe you amaze me... 1 day you are saying not to get high on Verlander because he had 2 below average starts in the big leagues, and he only dominates AA because of his stuff, then I find you touting Wood over the likes of Upton, when 1 is in A ball, and the other is in AAA. That's light years of difference and it can't even be compared. Who's to say Upton wouldn't have 40+ HRs, facing A-level pitching , and playing in hitter friendly parks every night.
clarkw267
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 10)

Postby theclefe » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:47 am

clarkw267 wrote:Clefe you amaze me... 1 day you are saying not to get high on Verlander because he had 2 below average starts in the big leagues, and he only dominates AA because of his stuff, then I find you touting Wood over the likes of Upton, when 1 is in A ball, and the other is in AAA. That's light years of difference and it can't even be compared. Who's to say Upton wouldn't have 40+ HRs, facing A-level pitching , and playing in hitter friendly parks every night.

A fair comment.

I tend to value hitter's production in the lower levels over pitchers production. I have never been all that high on Verlander and I feel he has been over-hyped here.

I have no doubt Upton would be killing the ball in High-A. It is tough to compare their numbers because Upton was 18 when when in A, and shot through the TB system. Still, almost 40 homeruns with a +315 avg. from a shortstop is pretty darn impressive and he should be placed in the top tear of shortstop prospects until he proves us wrong.

I am certainly contributing to over-hyping of Wood with my comments here, but I think he deserved more recognition.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby King Tim » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:27 am

I just saw his stat line from yesterday in the AFL...............

5-6 with 4 homers, 6 rbi, 5 runs scored!!!

The guy has 7 bombs already in the first week of play with a .435 avg. ;-D
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcqfesijiba » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:56 am

King Tim wrote:I just saw his stat line from yesterday in the AFL...............

That is one unreal performance. And amazingly enough, there's no reason to think he'll slow down with the way he's mashed the ball all year long. There has apparently been quite a bit of offense going on in the AFL so far, but I would be surprised if anyone other than Wood walked away with MVP.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:02 am

King Tim wrote:I just saw his stat line from yesterday in the AFL...............

saw that as well... awesome performance,,, but dang what a lineup he has around him as well....... with kendrick, butler, bourne and wood on one team..... 8-o
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball