Anyone know about car stereos? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Anyone know about car stereos?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anyone know about car stereos?

Postby BobbyRoberto » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:26 am

When I play the radio, my FM stations come in fine but the AM stations have a lot of static and the static gets worse when I accelerate. There seems to be some connection with the engine revving that makes the AM stations come in worse.

Anyone have any idea why this would be happening?

It's a 1995 Ford Thunderbird, V-8 engine.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Oat Soda » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:19 am

Did you get a friend or somebody to install your stereo?
My first car was a 1976 Toyota Corolla I called the Toyovette. When I honked the horn the sound came through the speakers. Great conversation starter.

Sorry, but I know nothing about electronics or cars or anything.
Oat Soda
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cubsrock » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:48 pm

its not your radios fault, it just happens. AM signals frequencies are close to the frequencies of electricity, so anything electric will change the reception. When your accelerating, your engine is making more electricity and that makes more static. when your honking the horn, its a new electric signal, so static. Whenever I turn the lights on in my truck, I loose just about all AM stations. Thats AM radio for ya, nuthin you can do about it.
cubsrock
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheRock » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:15 am

Yeah, AM and FM are recieved differently. The antenna sticking out your windshield pillar is for FM, the AM one is usually internal. Could be something messed up with it, or maybe you just get lousy reception. Engine noise can get in your system from improperly run speaker wires, or poor grounding. This a new stereo? New problem? Anything else change recently?
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby BobbyRoberto » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:31 am

I bought the car a couple years ago and it's been this way ever since I've owned it. The car I had before got AM fine, so it's not that the reception where I live is bad, it's definitely something going on with this car. Maybe the wiring or poor grounding, like you mentioned. I haven't looked into any of that yet, I just thought I'd ask on here to see if anyone could point me in the right direction, if someone's heard of this before.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby TheRock » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:30 am

Probably not much you can do about it, really. Unless it's a top of the line aftermarket system you'll spend more money trying to find it than you would just buying a new stereo. Especially if it's the manufacturer's system still in it, they notoriously suck. Or... '95 T-bird, time to trade up?
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby davidmarver » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:24 am

You can change antennaes. Some materials work better than others and you can get nice antennaes that pick up reception where some wouldn't. That said, AM frequencies are weaker than FM frequencies, so it will be harder to pick up reception of those stations regardless.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Madison » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:31 am

TheRock wrote:Yeah, AM and FM are recieved differently. The antenna sticking out your windshield pillar is for FM, the AM one is usually internal. Could be something messed up with it, or maybe you just get lousy reception. Engine noise can get in your system from improperly run speaker wires, or poor grounding. This a new stereo? New problem? Anything else change recently?

That was my first thought ;-D .

Two choices, either try to chase the wiring yourself to see where it's grounded, and switch grounding points, or buy a new stereo. If you pay someone to find the grounding point, it's cheaper to just buy a new stereo and have it professionally installed. Take your pick. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:29 pm

I immediately thought of a grounding issue as well. AM stations are very finicky but the static during acceleration is odd. Is it a factory stereo?? Aftermarket?? Either way, I would try a ground loop isolator. I had a similar issue in the past and it did the trick. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Return to General Talk