Big Trade controversy... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Big Trade controversy...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Jury » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:43 pm

wake wrote:Sometimes a person who is out of the running in a fantasy league will stop checking their team but still get the emails about trade proposals. The last place team could have seen the proposal and decided that they would benefit from the trade.

When a manager becomes inactive in our leagues, we lock him from making external moves until he decides that he wants to play again and updates for a couple weeks. Disinterested managers can ruin (the competitive balance of) leagues by making unruly transactions.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:58 pm

The Jury wrote:
wake wrote:Sometimes a person who is out of the running in a fantasy league will stop checking their team but still get the emails about trade proposals. The last place team could have seen the proposal and decided that they would benefit from the trade.

When a manager becomes inactive in our leagues, we lock him from making external moves until he decides that he wants to play again and updates for a couple weeks. Disinterested managers can ruin (the competitive balance of) leagues by making unruly transactions.

This is exactly the type of rule I was looking for. I will definitely push to get this implemented next year, but the trade will go through.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby saxeT1979 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:20 am

The Jury wrote:

Thanks for the idea The Jury. I also play in the league being discussed in this thread. I would like to see something like your idea above put in place next year.

As for this year, I'm sure its going to go thru. The team in 3rd has technically done nothing wrong and the trade isn't vetoable by most people's standards. There's just something not quite right about watching an inactive team that's currently in dead last (50-60pts out) decide to come in one day and potentially change the outcome of the top 3 with less than 8 weeks remaining in the season.
saxeT1979
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Hbj79 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:45 am

I would be interested to know if anyone else in the league offered a similar deal to the last place team (i.e.offering to send him a top ten player). If someone did and he never responded due to inactivity then you have a complaint. If no one tried offering him their best player then they can't really talk.
An unemployed jester is nobody's fool.

[b]25[/b]
Hbj79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby rotterdam_82 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:17 am

slomo007 wrote:It has to do with the points he'll be gaining, we'd have to post the standings for you to understand. He is basically using the last place team to gain points,

Isn't that why you trade in the first place? To make your team better :-?

The guy is giving up Manny for christ sake!!!
Rate my team, leave me a link!
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby saxeT1979 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:09 am

rotterdam_82 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:It has to do with the points he'll be gaining, we'd have to post the standings for you to understand. He is basically using the last place team to gain points,

Like slomo said, to understand you would have to see our standings. The tight races in our league are in WHIP, SBs and saves which in essence makes WHIP, SBs and saves more valuable. The R, HR, RBI categories are much more seperated therefore making the value of R, HR, and RBIs less in our league.
saxeT1979
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rotterdam_82 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:25 am

saxeT1979 wrote:
rotterdam_82 wrote:

Like slomo said, to understand you would have to see our standings. The tight races in our league are in WHIP, SBs and saves which in essence makes WHIP, SBs and saves more valuable. The R, HR, RBI categories are much more seperated therefore making the value of R, HR, and RBIs less in our league.

Fine, then good for him for making the trade while the rest of you sit back. I hope he wins the league.

No hard feelings :-]
Rate my team, leave me a link!
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BigMusky » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:21 am

something like this happened in a basketball league I was in...funny part is the last place team left the all star they received on their bench. If this guy does not even insert Manny into his lineup then I would definitely not let this go.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mortician » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:19 pm

I don't understand why most trades are vetoed. Most of the vetos that i've seen recently are between teams whose owners hate each other, so there is obviously no cooperative going on, which should be the only reason for a veto. I would trade manny for a closer in a heartbeat. I have MCab, Ensberg, Manny, D. Lee, Dunn, soriano, and Varitek hitting home runs for me, but only 1 closer still closing. I tried trading manny for izzy but it was vetoed. I tried trading delgado for Ryan but it was vetoed. I'm averaging almost 15 homers a week but i get about 1-2 saves a week. Bunch of vetoing idiots in my league. Dont they see that it isnt lopsided considering that I have too many HR's and not enough saves. If anything, those trades are lopsided in MY favor. I'm not giving away any category wins by trading one of my sluggers. I'll still win HR's every week!
Mortician
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers