Kent + Armas for Pierre + Kim? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kent + Armas for Pierre + Kim?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kent + Armas for Pierre + Kim?

Postby Dark Treb » Sun Apr 14, 2002 9:30 pm

I've been offered Jeff Kent and Tony Armas Jr. for Juan Pierre and Byung Hyun Kim

While Kent would be a great upgrade at second over Fernando Vina (power-wise), and Kim wouldn't be too much of a loss (I'm loaded with closers), this move basically eliminates two good base-stealers, Pierre, and Vina. Armas Jr. is just gravy in this trade.

Perhaps if I could trade for Patterson, should I take this deal? Would I be better with Sosa, Alou, Dunn/Patterson, and Kent, over Sosa, Alou, Pierre, and Vina?

Also, would Dunn for Patterson be worth it? Patterson seems more of a lock, but Dunn could bust out, and I'd hate to see him do it for a different team.

What other steals options do I have?
Dark Treb
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Mon Apr 15, 2002 6:01 am

Intriguing offer (the kind that'll keep you awake nights), but I'd pass and submit a counter-offer. Pieere isn't all that far below Kent in value, and Kim is worth much more than Armas. Kent would be a significant upgrade, but I think you'd be giving up a bit too much.

Dunn and Patterson seem about equal at this point, with neither being a true lock. If you're hoping for one of them to bust out, I'd say Dunn has a slightly better chance, although Patterson's potential remains higher.

Furcal is another sb option, of course, if he's still on your roster.

I think you should be careful about trading Pierre, especially since it isn't a given that Alou will return at full strength. If you can afford to lose Kim, try a Kim + Vina for Kent offer and see what happens. A deal here might take a bit of negotiating, but adding Kent would definitely be worth it.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dark Treb » Mon Apr 15, 2002 6:33 pm

I can get Patterson for Brian Lawrence (who seems like a very good young starter), should I do it?

Oh yeah, another problem with getting Patterson would be having 3 outfielders from the SAME TEAM, that could pose some problems on Cub off days.
Dark Treb
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Mon Apr 15, 2002 7:52 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about having three Cubs outfielders, and Patterson vs. Lawrence seems pretty even to me. Both have a lot of talent (Patterson may have slightly more) and look as if they're putting everything together nicely, but both will struggle at times.

Basically, it depends on your needs. I think I remember you having a relatively low number of starters on your team - if that's the case, stick with Lawrence even though Patterson's upside is a bit higher. If you have enough arms and need a bat, go with Patterson.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dark Treb » Tue Apr 16, 2002 4:26 pm

All right, thanks, I'm still waiting on a reply to my counteroffer.

One thing I'm afraid of is falling in love with Cubs players, I'm a diehard Cubs fan, which gives me a good idea of how some guys are going. However, I'm afraid I may be somewhat blinded to some weaknesses, so that's why I'm asking for opinions here.

BTW, I've been watching Patterson, and this kid definitely looks solid! He doesn't strike out much right now, has improved his plate discipline, and ropes the ball every time! His speed is unbelievable, and if he puts it together, I'll be very happy.
Dark Treb
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Tue Apr 16, 2002 4:35 pm

Yeah, Patterson looks like a completely different player from what we saw last year.

Don't worry too much about falling in love with your Cubbies - while you shouldn't be blinded to their flaws or overpay radically for hometown heroes, it's always fun to have two reasons to root for someone!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jetsfan1771 » Sun May 27, 2007 9:16 pm

Its close but I think I'd stick with Pierre and BK Kim (whatever the reason is you own him). I guess if you're really lacking in 2B you might think about it but Kent's obviously on the decline and Pierre while not one of my favorites still gets the steals. Armas might get a chance later this season if Chacon keeps on sucking. Still stick with what you have. Drop BK Kim for a prospect like Gallardo and you win.
jetsfan1771
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigh0rt » Sun May 27, 2007 9:17 pm

jetsfan1771 wrote:Its close but I think I'd stick with Pierre and BK Kim (whatever the reason is you own him). I guess if you're really lacking in 2B you might think about it but Kent's obviously on the decline and Pierre while not one of my favorites still gets the steals. Armas might get a chance later this season if Chacon keeps on sucking. Still stick with what you have. Drop BK Kim for a prospect like Gallardo and you win.

Duuuude, you just bumped a 5 year-old thread.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby rjforlife » Sun May 27, 2007 9:19 pm

AND IN THE WRONG FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Postby J.C.Fighter » Sun May 27, 2007 9:28 pm