100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Next years first round?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:09 am

The_Met_Threat wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
The_Met_Threat wrote:
Dude he can just be benched or choose not to play. The guy has so many contract issues, hell likely sit out a whole season if he gets an extra few million in the end.

Can you share what you are smoking?

What team is going to bench one of its best hitters for any extended period?

And for all the nonsense Sheffield talks, he's never played fewer than 130 games in the last 13 years.

Worry about things that matter, not the hallucinations induced by whatever drugs you are taking.

Dude its just seriously Sheff is very unpredictable, did you not follow his contract negotiations at the beginning of the year. Hes been whining about thsi and that all season hes a bubble waiting to burst. I bet one day he could just wake up and say im not gonna play today. All he thinks about is himself, and even tho hes a great producer, he is now old and as i said very unpredictable. Maybe you dont remember Sheff's early days but he actually tanked a whole season just so the Brewers would trade him. Does this count as unpredictable?

That's got nothing to do with him as a fantasy player. He puts up incredible numbers year in and year out no matter what he says or does. What he did 15 years ago or something to force a trade suddenly has an impact on his fantasy value? Thats laughable.

This isn't Manny who just decides he doesn't feel like playing; I guess you have no concept of the injuries he played through all of last season, just to play; he couldn't lift his left arm over his head and had something torn in his finger for the entire season, and missed only 8 games. Sure sounds like a guy that just doesn't feel like playing ;-7

If you really think Gary Sheffield talking about his contract, or the World Tournament or lack of family values or being selfish as you say has a negative and unpredictable effect on him as a fantasy player maybe you should try a new sport.

He looks like a steal the way these lists are shaping up.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The_Met_Threat » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:41 am

blankman wrote:
The_Met_Threat wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
The_Met_Threat wrote:
Dude he can just be benched or choose not to play. The guy has so many contract issues, hell likely sit out a whole season if he gets an extra few million in the end.

And for all the nonsense Sheffield talks, he's never played fewer than 130 games in the last 13 years.

Worry about things that matter, not the hallucinations induced by whatever drugs you are taking.

Dude its just seriously Sheff is very unpredictable, did you not follow his contract negotiations at the beginning of the year. Hes been whining about thsi and that all season hes a bubble waiting to burst. I bet one day he could just wake up and say im not gonna play today. All he thinks about is himself, and even tho hes a great producer, he is now old and as i said very unpredictable. Maybe you dont remember Sheff's early days but he actually tanked a whole season just so the Brewers would trade him. Does this count as unpredictable?

That's got nothing to do with him as a fantasy player. He puts up incredible numbers year in and year out no matter what he says or does. What he did 15 years ago or something to force a trade suddenly has an impact on his fantasy value? Thats laughable.

This isn't Manny who just decides he doesn't feel like playing; I guess you have no concept of the injuries he played through all of last season, just to play; he couldn't lift his left arm over his head and had something torn in his finger for the entire season, and missed only 8 games. Sure sounds like a guy that just doesn't feel like playing ;-7

If you really think Gary Sheffield talking about his contract, or the World Tournament or lack of family values or being selfish as you say has a negative and unpredictable effect on him as a fantasy player maybe you should try a new sport.

I was waiting for ayankee fan to come and talk about me bashing sheffield. Actually a players past does affect their fantasy value. My whole post was describing how he is very unpredictable not how he may just tank a season again so that he can be traded, cmon its not hard to come with that conclusion from my post. I realize he puts up great numbers, but i dont see him as a first round value, and thats what i was trying to convince this other guy of. And you added by talking about how he had very serious injuries last year, who says those are not still lingering. He is old, hurt and unpredictable. Id take a lot of people over that.

P.S it can have a negative affect on his fantasy value if he choses to take off time because of these issues. Anything can happen, its just ive always seen Sheff as the kind of person to do this. He seems like the Vince Carter of baseball except not as extreme. But a big whiner none the less.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mweir145 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:46 am

The_Met_Threat wrote:
blankman wrote:
The_Met_Threat wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
The_Met_Threat wrote:

I was waiting for ayankee fan to come and talk about me bashing sheffield. Actually a players past does affect their fantasy value. My whole post was describing how he is very unpredictable not how he may just tank a season again so that he can be traded, cmon its not hard to come with that conclusion from my post. I realize he puts up great numbers, but i dont see him as a first round value, and thats what i was trying to convince this other guy of. And you added by talking about how he had very serious injuries last year, who says those are not still lingering. He is old, hurt and unpredictable. Id take a lot of people over that.

P.S it can have a negative affect on his fantasy value if he choses to take off time because of these issues. Anything can happen, its just ive always seen Sheff as the kind of person to do this. He seems like the Vince Carter of baseball except not as extreme. But a big whiner none the less.

Except Vince Carter is a huge wuss.

It's nice how he averaged about 25 points in New Jersey and about 14 in Toronto last year, keep it up VC. :-t
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:49 am

As of now, I'd go:

Pujols
A-rod
Vlad
Tejada
Soriano
Manny
Abreu
Cabrera
Teix
Peavy- bold prediction
Ortiz
Lee
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Yoda » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:54 am

superfly wrote:
Yoda wrote:
superfly wrote:
Yoda wrote:It's so funny that people STILL put Teixeira over Miggy Cabrera.

Folks, Teixiera was tearing up AA when he was 22 years old.

Let's get something straight here. Teixeira started at a later age only because he went to college. He was the most feared hitter for 2 years in college baseball. He was probably going to get called up after a half season of A/AA ball, but he got injured which ended that idea. The next season he started for the Rangers and hit 26 homers with 84 RBI. We all know the rest from there.

As far as top 12 next year. Top 10 will be A-Rod, Pujols, Vlad, Tejada, Manny, Soriano, Teix, Ortiz, Miguel Cabrera and the last 2 will be anyone's guess but probably Abreu will be one of them.

So you discount what Miggy's doing at age 22? That makes sense.

Do you have no reading comprehension skills or something? I'd assume so since I didn't say anything about Cabrera at all.

Well, didn't you quote me on Cabrera/Texeira comparison? Obviously you came running in to defend Tex saying what a feared hitter he was and the reason why he got a later start was due to the fact that he was in college.

Teixeira is a fine hitter and arguably belongs in the top 10. However, given what Teixeira was doing at age 22 versus what Cabrera is doing at the same age is vastly different. Night and day. Cabrera's ceiling far exceeds Teixeira's at this point.

So maybe you need to pay more attention to what you are posting.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby jzfran » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:13 am

1. Pujols--best hitter in baseball...period!
2. ARod--just slightly worse than Pujols.
3. Vlad--great hitter
4. Tejada--head and shoulders above any other SS
5. Soriano--Puts up great #s at the worst fantasy position
6. Manny--great power, RBI, AVG will be better next year
7. MCab--finally realizes his potential
8. Abreu--Power/Speed combo is lethal (when hot)
9. Teixera--can his AVG improve next year?
10. Ortiz--A consistent 30/100/.300 guy
11. Sheff--very good power, over .300 AVG
12. Crawford--More power this year than last, lots of SB.

Other Possibilities
Beltran--If he heats up soon
Santana--Still the top SP
Peavy--#2 SP
jzfran
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:22 am

mweir145 wrote:
The_Met_Threat wrote:
blankman wrote:
The_Met_Threat wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
The_Met_Threat wrote:

Except Vince Carter is a huge wuss.

It's nice how he averaged about 25 points in New Jersey and about 14 in Toronto last year, keep it up VC. :-t

Exactly. Comparing the two is a huge insult to Gary Sheffield's toughness. He had offseason surgery to repair the injuries and even if they are lingering (which I don't believe they are) and he's still putting up these numbers it really doesn't matter. He put up huge numbers last season with some horrible injuries and that didn't effect his production.

As a fantasy player he is not unpredictable which is ALL that matters in fantasy baseball. What he says doesn't have any effect on his numbers, which is unique, but thats who Gary Sheffield is. He's one of the few that is motivated and plays better when everything around him is in disorder. He thrives on chaos and when there isn't any, he just creates it for himself. And he does all of this, while posting numbers (all that matter in fantasy) that are far from unpredictable.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby RAmst23 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:00 pm

I'm suprised no one is questioning the 1st round pick of Derrek Lee. This is his first year that he's putting up these numbers, and has no supporting stats to say he'll do it again. Sure, he should be drafted higher than he was last year, but 1st round?
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Yoda » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:03 pm

RAmst23 wrote:I'm suprised no one is questioning the 1st round pick of Derrek Lee. This is his first year that he's putting up these numbers, and has no supporting stats to say he'll do it again. Sure, he should be drafted higher than he was last year, but 1st round?

I wouldn't put in up there.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:19 pm

The_Met_Threat wrote: My whole post was describing how he is very unpredictable not how he may just tank a season again so that he can be traded, cmon its not hard to come with that conclusion from my post. I realize he puts up great numbers, but i dont see him as a first round value, and thats what i was trying to convince this other guy of. And you added by talking about how he had very serious injuries last year, who says those are not still lingering. He is old, hurt and unpredictable. Id take a lot of people over that.

I'm not saying that Sheffield definitely is a first rounder, but simply that it is surprising considering his performance that he was not even mentioned by anyone.

Because your comment that Sheff is "unpredictable" is simply not true, in terms of his performance the last 3 years. When this thread started, what I did was list the guys who were ranked in the top 15 hitters in 2005, 2004, and 2003. There were only a few guys that made that list all 3 years...ARod, Manny, Pujols, and Sheff.

IOW, he's been VERY predictable in his performance the last three years, and deserves at least as much attention as many of the guys on this list who have not been nearly as consistent in being a top performer.

I think there are lots of reasons you might not list Sheff--he is older, he is declining somewhat, etc. But, the fact is, he has been a very consistent high performer for the last three years and, as other said, is undervalued by many, as shown by this debate.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers