Next years first round? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Next years first round?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby clevername » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:26 pm

Beltran hasn't proven himself over an extended period of time like Helton has. He's shown flashes and was extremely overhyped after the way he finished last year, but he doesn't deserve to be conisidered with Helton based on their career performances.

Thome is old and injury prone. Please don't try to compare Helton and Thome.

Helton has already begun to put things back together. If he returns from this injury hitting like he did for the month before it for the rest of the season, he's back in the first round.

(maybe I'm a little biased as he's now on my keeper team, but, then again, I also have Vlad, Sori, Manny, and Carp on that team...Helton slipping a little won't hurt.)

Lee is already showing his return to career type numbers. If his avg continues to fall, I don't see how he can be in the first round next year based on a career season...Beltre all over again, though I don't think he'll crash and burn as badly as Beltre has.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1156
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 23 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The_Met_Threat » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:27 pm

mweir145 wrote:
The_Met_Threat wrote:
bigken117 wrote:it's too early to get specific about positions where to draft, but no way IMO Carpenter is in the top 12. Most definitely put in Cabs, plus also Crawford or Helton (a down season sure, but he'll be back. I'd give him a long look in a 1 season league at #12) over Jones...


Ok if you want to put helton in there please throw in Beltran and Thome. Two other first round busts. Who's to say helton will get back into form and these guys wont, and beltran prolly went 6 spots higher than helton last year.


Whos to say that Santana gets back into form for next year. ;-7


Hey buddy check the stats, you wanna compare santana to beltran, thome and helton as busts? please, your expectations must of been crazy for santana. Rigth now hes only slightly off his game, hes still putting together a crazy season. I nderstand the wins arent there, his team has been struggling. 1.07 whip ill take that any day from a first round sp. 9.5k/9 Ill take that. 3.68 era i dont like but he is slighlty off form. The only reason why these people consider Santana a bust is because they all thought he would go 22-3, 2 era, .8 whip 12k/9. This is not the season we all hoped for but hes the guy everyone would take a chance on before the other busts. Lets say you had the 12th pick, and the only people you could choose were Santana, Beltran, Thome, Helton. All first rounders likely last year. Tell me who ud pick.
Image
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2210
Joined: 14 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:33 pm

The_Met_Threat wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
The_Met_Threat wrote:
bigken117 wrote:it's too early to get specific about positions where to draft, but no way IMO Carpenter is in the top 12. Most definitely put in Cabs, plus also Crawford or Helton (a down season sure, but he'll be back. I'd give him a long look in a 1 season league at #12) over Jones...


Ok if you want to put helton in there please throw in Beltran and Thome. Two other first round busts. Who's to say helton will get back into form and these guys wont, and beltran prolly went 6 spots higher than helton last year.


Whos to say that Santana gets back into form for next year. ;-7


Hey buddy check the stats, you wanna compare santana to beltran, thome and helton as busts? please, your expectations must of been crazy for santana. Rigth now hes only slightly off his game, hes still putting together a crazy season. I nderstand the wins arent there, his team has been struggling. 1.07 whip ill take that any day from a first round sp. 9.5k/9 Ill take that. 3.68 era i dont like but he is slighlty off form. The only reason why these people consider Santana a bust is because they all thought he would go 22-3, 2 era, .8 whip 12k/9. This is not the season we all hoped for but hes the guy everyone would take a chance on before the other busts. Lets say you had the 12th pick, and the only people you could choose were Santana, Beltran, Thome, Helton. All first rounders likely last year. Tell me who ud pick.


Whoah there. I never called him an outright bust, in fact I never called him a bust at all. I just wouldn't consider him anywhere in the first round next year, but he's obviously still going to be quite high based of his k rate.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Postby Yoda » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:35 pm

It's so funny that people STILL put Teixeira over Miggy Cabrera.

Folks, Teixiera was tearing up AA when he was 22 years old.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:39 pm

There's one guy who has been ranked in the top 15 hitters each of the last three years who isn't even on the list yet (only Pujols. ARod, and Manny have been as consistent a top 15 performer). Maybe he's fading a little with age, but Sheffield ought to at least get some attention.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5516
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Postby warrick95 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:41 pm

A-Rod
Pujols
Vlad
Soriano...very scarce position...gives you power and speed, which is a huge edge in strategy.
Abreu (Sori and Abreu are neck and neck IMO)...love the power and speed.
Tejada...elite SS. Power and average.
Manny...drops a little on my list due to his position. You can find power/average elsewhere, but that coupled with speed is rare (Abreu).
Santana...he's fine. Just giving up a few too many dingers this year. All of his numbers but his ERA are looking good.
Teixeira...absolute animal at Arlington.
Ortiz
Cabrera
Pedro...somebody's probably going to take him in the mid-first, IMO based on this year, but he's too much of a risk, but he is a first rounder.

Other considerations: Clemens, Ichiro, Crawford

To be perfectly honest, I'd take Crawford before a couple of the late first rounders. Look at the power this year...he could do 20-50 next year easily. That sort of production is extremely hard to get. His batting eye has decreased this season, though.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5440
Joined: 27 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The empty seat next to the Tampa Bay heckler

Postby The_Met_Threat » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:43 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:There's one guy who has been ranked in the top 15 hitters each of the last three years who isn't even on the list yet (only Pujols. ARod, and Manny have been as consistent a top 15 performer). Maybe he's fading a little with age, but Sheffield ought to at least get some attention.


Ya sheffield is a great consistant hitter, but people just dont like the baggage. He whines alot, and you never really know if he will just quit baseball. Also I may throw in pedro instead of santana at 12, but mwier142 where who would u pick at 12?
Image
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2210
Joined: 14 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The_Met_Threat » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:45 pm

and warrick i realize that crawford has soo much potential but there is no way hes touching the first round in h2h leagues. I could find the same speed easy in the 10+ rounds. I mean look at Jose Reyes, if he didnt start off the season so shaky, now has a 19 game hit streak he could be a 4th rounder next year. but speed is not a commodity in h2h leagues, normally most guys can win wiht 3 or 4 sb a week.
Image
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2210
Joined: 14 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:47 pm

The_Met_Threat wrote:Ya sheffield is a great consistant hitter, but people just dont like the baggage. He whines alot, and you never really know if he will just quit baseball. Also I may throw in pedro instead of santana at 12, but mwier142 where who would u pick at 12?


I might care about his baggage if I really had to deal with him as a human.

I'd be concerned about having Soriano on that list, if he does leave Arlington. Check out his road numbers the last two years.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5516
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

Postby warrick95 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:48 pm

The_Met_Threat wrote:and warrick i realize that crawford has soo much potential but there is no way hes touching the first round in h2h leagues. I could find the same speed easy in the 10+ rounds. I mean look at Jose Reyes, if he didnt start off the season so shaky, now has a 19 game hit streak he could be a 4th rounder next year. but speed is not a commodity in h2h leagues, normally most guys can win wiht 3 or 4 sb a week.


Definitely. I had roto in my mind when I wrote that. In H2H leagues, I love plugging in players like Gathright or Alex Sanchez when I have power locked up. SBs is definitely the category to ignore in those leagues. In roto, SBs is a category that you have to heavily consider, hence my high value for power/speed guys.

So yes, my top 12 is in regard to a Roto 5X5 league. If it was H2H, Abreu would drop a few spots. Soriano would probably stay because of his position.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5440
Joined: 27 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The empty seat next to the Tampa Bay heckler

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: neuronss and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Aug. 20
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Texas at Miami
(12:40 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Philadelphia
(1:05 pm)
Toronto at Milwaukee
(2:10 pm)
NY Mets at Oakland
(3:35 pm)
Houston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Atlanta at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Arizona at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
LA Angels at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Cincinnati at St. Louis
(7:15 pm)
San Francisco at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Baltimore at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Cleveland at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Kansas City at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
San Diego at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact