Leiter over Small - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

Leiter over Small

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Leiter over Small

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:57 pm

It would seem that Clueless Torre has joined the ranks of Clueless Cashman and the inmates are truly running the asylum. This is just plain insanity.

Rootoworld:
It sounds as if Al Leiter will remain in the Yankees rotation for the foreseeable future, despite his poor record.
Leiter's experience makes him the frontrunner to remain in the rotation when the Yankees have to make a move, even though Aaron Small and Shawn Chacon haven't lost in a combined five starts while Leiter is 0-3 with an 8.31 ERA since a solid first start against the Red Sox. Carl Pavano and Jaret Wright are due back soon, but it sounds like Leiter's not going anywhere. ''Obviously he would have the inside track,'' manager Joe Torre said, ''unless I see something really terrible and I haven't seen that yet.'' Interesting take, as Leiter was available to the Yankees for a reason. Small is the likely bet to move to the bullpen, meaning Leiter - at least for the time being - can pitch without worrying about losing his job. ''Obviously he would have the inside track,'' Torre said, ''unless I see something really terrible and I haven't seen that yet.''
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rirruto » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:59 pm

''Obviously he would have the inside track,'' manager Joe Torre said, ''unless I see something really terrible and I haven't seen that yet.''

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby AT » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:01 pm

I have a bad feeling that we won't see useful action from Pavano this year so it's likely going to be a 2 out of 3 for Chacon, Leiter, and Small. Personally I like what I've seen from Small and Chacon while Leiter makes me want to crap my pants but Joe probably doesn't notice when that happens to him because he's had a full load all season.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Leiter over Small

Postby Pokey » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:03 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Leiter is 0-3 with an 8.31 ERA since a solid first start against the Red Sox.

That's not terrible enough for him?
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby reznorsboy » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:03 pm

Maybe it is time for Torre to hang up his cleets and let someone else run the team.
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AT » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:19 pm

Apparently Al throws 55% of his pitches for strikes (lowest in the majors) and 20.4 pitches an inning, the most in the majors. That's good for the bullpen Joe ;-D
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:19 pm

I mean what in an 8 ERA is not horrible enough? He is in a pennant race. He is short on pitching. He wants to send arguably his best starter over the past 2 or 3 weeks to the pen to keep the veteran AA pitcher with a 8 ERA in the rotation. What is he smoking?

It is delusional and outright insane. He does not have a 10 game lead that he can afford to coddle vets. He has to play guys getting the job done. Small and Chacon are getting it done. Leiter is WW material. Geez this annoys me. Let's throw away 1 game in 5 in a pennat race because Torre likes the Vet and thinks anything under a 10 ERA is OK.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby blankman » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:26 pm

I'm just going to wait and see what happens. That said, Small is one of the team's 2 best starters.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:40 pm

I would NOT leave him in the rotation, but he'd probably be more effective there than he would in the bullpen. It's the same reason why the Mets keep Ishii in the rotation over Heilman. Ishii can't throw strikes and that's a disaster for a bullpen guy.

But I would still give Small and Chacon the nod over Leiter.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby davidmarver » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:41 pm

blankman wrote:I'm just going to wait and see what happens. That said, Small is one of the team's 2 best starters.

That means that Small is better than either Mussina or Johnson. Seeing as Small's major league track record, before his 20 inning sample this season, is atrocious (107 walks in 238 innings), it's safe to say he's not one of the Yankees best 2 starters. Should he be in the rotation? Sure. That said, he isn't one of the Yankees best 2 starters. He was 9-9 with a 5.06 ERA as a 32 year old in AAA last season.

Al Leiter at least has a good track record. I'd trust Torre, the man who coached you to 4 World Series victories on this one.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Next

Return to New York Yankees