Is M-cab a first rounder next year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is M-cab a first rounder next year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Secret Avatar » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:04 am

This is off-post, but I surprised at how many people posted on this thread and had Tejada still in the top 10 and even 5. I think I'd pass on Tejada in the 1st and grab a guy like Mike Young a few rounds later. His numbers are not too far off from Tejada's right now, and I think he's gonna have a monster season very soon. He's an excellent hitter and he's approaching that age (30) when a lot of guys have power spikes. As it is, he should hit 20+ this year and maybe even 25.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sultans of Squat » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:11 am

Secret Avatar wrote:This is off-post, but I surprised at how many people posted on this thread and had Tejada still in the top 10 and even 5. I think I'd pass on Tejada in the 1st and grab a guy like Mike Young a few rounds later. His numbers are not too far off from Tejada's right now, and I think he's gonna have a monster season very soon. He's an excellent hitter and he's approaching that age (30) when a lot of guys have power spikes. As it is, he should hit 20+ this year and maybe even 25.

I don't think I'd want to draft Tejada 1st round either -- not unless he does better to finish this year -- but what's this about Young's "power spikes" at age 30? Never heard that one before. What makes you think that?

AFAIK, most good players start hitting their peaks around age 27, maybe 28, and then level off more or less until they decline. Both Young and Tejada have already reached that point, so it's not that likely for Young to improve further. Yeah, lots of players will have a "career year" beyond 27-28, so maybe Young will have one of those at some point, but then again, "career years" are usually produced by average-to-mediocre players.

Personally, I don't think Young will keep this up for very long. Maybe he'll have another couple similarly good years and then start declining significantly, reverting back to his old .700 OPS self. Given his stats and how long it took him to get here, I just don't see him sustaining his current production for very long.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby seniorpaul » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:50 am

dannyolbb wrote:My top 12 prediction is:

Arod
Pujols
Vlad
Tejada
Soriano
Abreu
Cabrera
Pedro
Johan
Teix
Andruw

It's going to be tough next season with these as 4 or my 5 keepers... :-) :-) :-)
seniorpaul
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers