Is M-cab a first rounder next year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is M-cab a first rounder next year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Vetterstrom » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:04 pm

davidmarver wrote:
Vetterstrom wrote:The idea of Kent/Young going ahead of Cab is laughable. I don't see why people are so hesitant to put him in the first round class. He's a good bet for 40/120 with at least a .300 avg and 100 runs. That's not too much different from Ortiz and Manny. And unlike those 2, he'll only be 23 next season, so there's still a great deal of room for improvement. Couple that with the possibility of gaining 3B eligibility, you have a player that should be an easy 1st rd selection.

I wouldn't personally draft Kent, Young, Soriano, or Tejada in front of MCab, but I'm saying that there are managers who will sacrifice production to have the best at a particular position. When drafting you don't strictly draft based on where you think a player should go, but in relation to where he will go based upon your league's managers. Someone will take Soriano early on and I think that should contribute to where you would draft M. Cab. He may be the 7th best player but that doesn't necessarily mean you draft him 7th if you have that pick.

I know. I wasn't saying that you're stupid for saying you would be drafting those two there, rather I'm saying that the notion or thought of those two going over him is laugable. While I agree he is probably the 7th best player available, I see no reason he should slip past the 12th pick. No way should the likes of Crawford, Young, Kent, or Pierre be taken ahead of him.
Vetterstrom
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:33 pm

slomo007 wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
KaiserSoze wrote:Well I drafted 6 teams this year, and they are all in first place.

Here's a hint: I never took Beltran.

Just b/c you are in first place doesn't mean you are wrong. For whatever dumb reason, you think Miggy is not up there with Manny, Pujols, Etc.

A lot of people passed on Beltran. That doesn't mean you will be right about Cabrera.

Miggy is certainly not up there with Pujols. Pujols has done better than MCab for what, 5 years now?

How can you say that? Do you really value past production that much? Adrian Beltre did better than Pujols last year too......

Look at their futures, and MCab's is brighter. He is the absolute best young player in the game IMO...and we're just now getting a glimpse of the potential he has. We haven't even come close to seeing his peak yet....not that we've seen Pujols' either, but I do think his production has somewhat leveled off, while Cabrera's is obviously still rising.

Pujols has been a stone cold lock for a .330+ average for most of his career, and 100 some Runs and RBIs, and mid 40s in homers. And hes going to keep doing that for quite a while. Until MCab surpasses those numbers and puts them up consistently, there is no way he is a better keeper than Pujols, nor his is future brighter. Pujols is only 25 years old, and players peak at 27.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Secret Avatar » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:33 pm

No doubt MCab will be a 1st rounder next year. In keeper leagues, he'll probably go top 6. If he gets 3B eligibility, forget it: top 6 easily. People will pay for this years production with the prospect of even more in 2006.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby stevethumb » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:39 pm

how does everyone's projections/predictions for mcabrera translate to a 13 team NL only $260 AUCTION league.....$32-36 ?
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby dannyolbb » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:40 pm

My top 12 prediction is:

Arod
Pujols
Vlad
Tejada
Soriano
Abreu
Cabrera
Pedro
Johan
Teix
Andruw

Not in that order, mind you, but that's the order that they occured to me. The weak crop of dominant pitchers makes it more likely that Cabrera jumps into the top 12 next year. With good reason.
dannyolbb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheMeXiKaN » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:23 am

You people had BETTER stop this debate right now!!!

Too much projection and anticipation, your setting yourself up for dissappointment. DONT JINX THE KID.

We had this argument over Beltran at the end of last season, and you all were singing his praises to the tune of a clear cut top 3 pick. After one dissappointing year hes a laughing stock, and everyones ready to bash him as a has been/never was. The guy was a bonified five-tool stud for four years straight.

Be careful when you start setting the bar sky high, hes only human.

P.S. If anything, the fact that hes 22 hurts his value more than it helps. A 22 year old is less predictable than a 26-28 year old in his prime. Beware. That said, just draft him in the first round (if not only just to save face). . . . . . because you'll look like a fool if you dont. ;-D
- - - - - - - - - There Is No Spoon - - - - - - - - -
TheMeXiKaN
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:07 pm

A 22 year old with a track record like Miggy's is definitely worth a 1st round pick. He was a 2nd round pick in most leagues this year.

To say he is worse than players like Pierre and Crawford is simply wrong.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:05 pm

Yoda wrote:A 22 year old with a track record like Miggy's is definitely worth a 1st round pick. He was a 2nd round pick in most leagues this year.

To say he is worse than players like Pierre and Crawford is simply wrong.

Hes certainly worth a first round pick. Just with his numbers, he is this year.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby 011472 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:14 pm

Arod
Pujols
Soriano
Vlad
Abreu
Tejada
Cabrera
Manny
Johan
Pedro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby clarkw267 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:09 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:No doubt MCab will be a 1st rounder next year. In keeper leagues, he'll probably go top 6. If he gets 3B eligibility, forget it: top 6 easily. People will pay for this years production with the prospect of even more in 2006.

Exactly what I've been thinking.. Lowell out... M-Cab to 3rd... duel eligibility = STUD, worth a top 5 pick.
clarkw267
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 10)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers