Is M-cab a first rounder next year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is M-cab a first rounder next year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Webster11 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:15 pm

BaseballFann0008 wrote:I know mcab looks like a 1st rounder on paper, but I dont know if I would even take him over a healthy Barry Bonds...I can think of 12 players I would rather have on my team than him...

Pujols
Arod
Soriano
Tejada
Guerrero
Bonds
Sheffield
Ortiz
Manny
Beltran
Lee
Crawford/Pierre

I can understand most of those picks at least to some degree but Pierre!? I mean seriously Juan Pierre over Miguel Cabrera :-?
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BaseballFann0008 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:52 pm

Webster11 wrote:
BaseballFann0008 wrote:I know mcab looks like a 1st rounder on paper, but I dont know if I would even take him over a healthy Barry Bonds...I can think of 12 players I would rather have on my team than him...

Pujols
Arod
Soriano
Tejada
Guerrero
Bonds
Sheffield
Ortiz
Manny
Beltran
Lee
Crawford/Pierre

I can understand most of those picks at least to some degree but Pierre!? I mean seriously Juan Pierre over Miguel Cabrera :-?
Juan Pierre is having a bad year but his 300 + avg with SB's and R's is better than MCAB's AVG HR RBI there is less players out there that bring what juan brings to the table
BaseballFann0008
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Webster11 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:50 pm

Cabrera is better in Average, way better in home runs, way better in RBI and runs is basically a wash. Granted Pierre is way better in sbs but the huge advantage cabrera has in HRS and RBI more than makes up for it.

Pierre in the first round is just crazy, even before this bad year hes having no one considered him a 1st round pick. If youre going for steals youre much better off taking figgins or reyes and having those steals at 2nd or SS instead of in the outfield...and you wont even have to use a 1st round pick }:-)
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BaseballFann0008 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:24 pm

nice avatar... of course hes a #1 round pick to u there are adam dunns who can give u HR and RBI's that u can get later on...there arent that many juan pierres out there
BaseballFann0008
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Sultans of Squat » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:42 pm

BUT when you're talking about 1st round pick, you want to make sure you get someone (assuming batter) who'll produce very well in at least 4 of the 5 roto stats, if not all 5. You can't win the league by killing everyone in one stat and completely giving away 2 others. If you're looking for SBs first, would probably make more sense to draft Vlad, Abreu or maybe Beltran in the 1st round (or ARod if you're high enough), then Crawford (if he still steals) in the 2nd round, Pierre in the 3rd, etc. etc., rack up the SBs and lock up a high ranking for that stat maybe by mid-May and trade away Crawford and Pierre for sluggers who started the year slow.

I don't personally recommend this route, but it's probably doable depending on how other owners play in your league.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:15 pm

BaseballFann0008 wrote:nice avatar... of course hes a #1 round pick to u there are adam dunns who can give u HR and RBI's that u can get later on...there arent that many juan pierres out there

you are saying this like mcab is a 2 cat player... he is hitting almost 350 and is doing better than the league average in runs scored... the only cat he hinders u in would be steals,,, and considering at least half of the power hitters hurt u in steals as well,,,, i see no reason why a lack of steals lowers mcabs value to below a pierre type........
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TB13 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:21 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:i see no reason why a lack of steals lowers mcabs value to below a pierre type........

To even compare the two does not do MCab justice.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby davidmarver » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:44 pm

Guys I'll take over MCab next season non-position-wise:
Abreu, ARod, M. Ramirez, Guerrero, Pujols, Ortiz.

Middle infielders that will be taken due to position scarcity in front of MCab:
Tejada, Soriano. Kent and M. Young may be darkhorse candidates as well.

Players someone will grab early due to this one season:
D. Lee, Ensberg, A. Jones.

I think Jason Bay may have to be considered in here, especially if he continues to run as successfully as he has. Basically, though, I find that I'd draft Cabrera around pick 7-10, but he may go later than he should due to position scarcity, pitching picks, and players who made a huge statement this season that someone will fall for.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Vetterstrom » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:53 pm

The idea of Kent/Young going ahead of Cab is laughable. I don't see why people are so hesitant to put him in the first round class. He's a good bet for 40/120 with at least a .300 avg and 100 runs. That's not too much different from Ortiz and Manny. And unlike those 2, he'll only be 23 next season, so there's still a great deal of room for improvement. Couple that with the possibility of gaining 3B eligibility, you have a player that should be an easy 1st rd selection.
Vetterstrom
College Coach
College Coach

Postby davidmarver » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:59 pm

Vetterstrom wrote:The idea of Kent/Young going ahead of Cab is laughable. I don't see why people are so hesitant to put him in the first round class. He's a good bet for 40/120 with at least a .300 avg and 100 runs. That's not too much different from Ortiz and Manny. And unlike those 2, he'll only be 23 next season, so there's still a great deal of room for improvement. Couple that with the possibility of gaining 3B eligibility, you have a player that should be an easy 1st rd selection.

I wouldn't personally draft Kent, Young, Soriano, or Tejada in front of MCab, but I'm saying that there are managers who will sacrifice production to have the best at a particular position. When drafting you don't strictly draft based on where you think a player should go, but in relation to where he will go based upon your league's managers. Someone will take Soriano early on and I think that should contribute to where you would draft M. Cab. He may be the 7th best player but that doesn't necessarily mean you draft him 7th if you have that pick.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers