Steriod Bust Rumors .. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Steriod Bust Rumors ..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:11 pm

BurlyMan wrote:Imagine what would happen if it was a major player....and I mean a major one, like A-rod or Pujols. That would be 100 times more damaging to the sport than any players named to date, including Palmeiro.

Someone also mentioned it might be someone (if this rumor turns out to be true) that no one has really mentioned yet or looked at. That seems reasonable. I mean, a lot of people looked at 'before/after' pictures of guys like Bonds and Sosa and suspected they were on steroids due to their massive increase in muscle mass (and head size 8-o )

But it seems to me that a lot of these steroids are designed to boost recovery time, not specifically promote bulk muscle growth. Palmeiro wasn't a huge muscle guy, so who knows...maybe it WILL be a guy who everybody says "him?!".

I agree, that would really hurt baseball. I don't see much of a positive there. Palmeiro was a big name, but he's not a household name like Pujols or A-Rod. It's not like people adore him like people from St. Louis (or even all around baseball) adore Pujols. The casual baseball fan probably barely knows who he is. If one of the "faces" of baseball like Albert or A-Rod or Clemens got busted, it would hurt the sport much more than it would help it.

I thought there was some positive when Raffy got caught, because it proved that they weren't protecting anyone, and big names could get out. But if one of the premeir players got busted it would most certainly be a bigger black eye for baseball.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby matmat » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:26 pm

superfly wrote:It's David Eckstein.

damn you. falling off chairs hurts!
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby -Slap- » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:46 pm

Had to love Joe Morgan on Baseball Tonight. He decided to come out kick Raffy some more and say what a shame it is that so many players from this generation have cheapened the game by taking steroids. Needless to say, he didn't have a word to say about B*rroid and gutless Karl Ravetch wouldn't ask him.
Aaron 755
Ruth 714
Mays 660
Griffey 593
Robinson 586
Killebrew 573
Jackson 563
Schmidt 548
Mantle 536
Foxx 534
-Slap-
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KaiserSoze » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:40 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:Yeah, he's not taking anything NOW but to say DEFINITIVELY that he didn't have anything left in his system after he stopped taking them is kind of ignorant, no? I mean 48HR's and the rest of his numbers last year at Chavez Ravine in a contract year and now look at him. Look at his body/head compared to last year and the look of his body last year. That year last year had all the tell-tale signs of use.

His body and head look the same, IMO. I don't think you can say someone did roids just because they had a fluke great season.
KaiserSoze
College Coach
College Coach

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:17 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:

I thought there was some positive when Raffy got caught, because it proved that they weren't protecting anyone, and big names could get out. But if one of the premeir players got busted it would most certainly be a bigger black eye for baseball.

Hmmm thats intresting. I look at it the complete opposite way. I think it showed they DO/DID and WERE protecting someone. From most accounts they knew about this weeks ago and kept it quiet while Raffy went thru the whole '3000' hit celebration. Were it say alex sanchez or another much less known player would they have delayed announcing it this long? Then again, in their defense, there is a thin line between "waiting long enough to get confirmation before announcing" and delaying till a more convenient time"

INKcogKNEEdough
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rich101682 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:37 pm

In all of these discussions on steroids, how come no one ever seems to mention Brady Anderson and his magical 50 HR season?

Sorry if this is off topic, but I just thought of that. Seems he would be brought up sometimes, retired or not.
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 53)

Postby wrveres » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:42 pm

rich101682 wrote:In all of these discussions on steroids, how come no one ever seems to mention Brady Anderson and his magical 50 HR season?

Sorry if this is off topic, but I just thought of that. Seems he would be brought up sometimes, retired or not.

to me that was just a fluke season and we have zero evidence to suggest other wise.

Roger Maris hit 61 and never came close again, was he on roids too?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby blankman » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:45 pm

INKcogKNEEdough wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:

Hmmm thats intresting. I look at it the complete opposite way. I think it showed they DO/DID and WERE protecting someone. From most accounts they knew about this weeks ago and kept it quiet while Raffy went thru the whole '3000' hit celebration. Were it say alex sanchez or another much less known player would they have delayed announcing it this long? Then again, in their defense, there is a thin line between "waiting long enough to get confirmation before announcing" and delaying till a more convenient time"

INKcogKNEEdough

Investigation and appeal process- there's your delay. With such a big name, they needed to make sure it was right, Raffy appealed and an independent arbitor had to investigate the issue.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby bd3521 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:47 pm

wrveres wrote:
rich101682 wrote:In all of these discussions on steroids, how come no one ever seems to mention Brady Anderson and his magical 50 HR season?

to me that was just a fluke season and we have zero evidence to suggest other wise.

Roger Maris hit 61 and never came close again, was he on roids too?

Um Brady Anderson hit 13-24 HR's (besides his *magical season) during his prime. He averaged much closer to the 13. If memory serves me right Maris hit 20+/30+ a few times in a much tougher era to go deep. Your comparision blows
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tavish » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:49 pm

Unless Bond's name is on the press release it isn't going to do all that much more harm to the game. The people who would upset by the news are already upset. The ones who don't really care will still not really care. It would just be more fodder for AM talk radio and SportsCenter to fill time with.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers