56 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

56

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AT » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:49 pm

I don't think it's untouchable. I've been saying throughout the entire thread that the discussion begins with Ichiro and ends with Ichiro. The rest is just kind of ridiculous.
Image
AT
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3920
Joined: 23 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On Parole

Postby slomo007 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:08 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:I don't think it's untouchable. I've been saying throughout the entire thread that the discussion begins with Ichiro and ends with Ichiro. The rest is just kind of ridiculous.


So Ichiro is the only player in the league better than Luis Castillo?

I think it's pretty obvious that any fast player who is a good contact hitter (ie, Castillo, Damon) has a shot at threatening the record. There are a number of players who fit this mold, most of which have been mentioned in this thread at some point or another. I think we all agree that Ichiro, statistically speaking, has the best chance because of his raw skills, but nobody predicted Castillo to go on that sort of streak and therefore I think it's entirely possible that a guy like Michael Young or Carl Crawford threaten the record as well. The truth is, nobody knows for sure, but saying Ichiro is the only one who might be able to do it seems pretty close-minded. If Luis Castillo can get to 35, a lot of other players can do better, given the right luck.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:41 pm

slomo007 wrote:So Ichiro is the only player in the league better than Luis Castillo?

If Luis Castillo can get to 35, a lot of other players can do better, given the right luck.


Saying a lot of other players can do better (with such a high certainty as you are acting) because they are better than Castillo seems a bit insane to me when only 2, that's 2, players have had longer streaks than Castillo since DiMaggio and countless numbers of them are/were better than Castillo.

As for the record, and your paraphrased logic "well Castillo got to 35, and he's not good, so someone good could break it." You're acting like Castillo was close to the record, and that someone better than him could break it. Castillo's 35 is still a whopping 22 games short.

Again, only 2 players have had longer streaks than Castillo since DiMaggio. Just because players are better than Castillo, that has little bearing on them actually doing better than Castillo, as countless better players have come and gone and not reached Castillo.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:49 pm

blankman wrote:
slomo007 wrote:So Ichiro is the only player in the league better than Luis Castillo?

If Luis Castillo can get to 35, a lot of other players can do better, given the right luck.


Saying a lot of other players can do better (with such a high certainty as you are acting) because they are better than Castillo seems a bit insane to me when only 2, that's 2, players have had longer streaks than Castillo since DiMaggio and countless numbers of them are/were better than Castillo.

As for the record, and your paraphrased logic "well Castillo got to 35, and he's not good, so someone good could break it." You're acting like Castillo was close to the record, and that someone better than him could break it. Castillo's 35 is still a whopping 22 games short.

Again, only 2 players have had longer streaks than Castillo since DiMaggio. Just because players are better than Castillo, that has little bearing on them actually doing better than Castillo, as countless better players have come and gone and not reached Castillo.


Why not quote my whole post? I went on to say that "The truth is, nobody knows for sure, but saying Ichiro is the only one who might be able to do it seems pretty close-minded. If Luis Castillo can get to 35, a lot of other players can do better, given the right luck."

If you're going to acknowledge the fact that Ichiro has a very slim shot at it (as AT did) then why not acknowledge the fact that every hitter in the game similar to Ichiro has the chance as well? That list (IMO) would include M. Young, Crawford, Reyes (in a couple of years if he progresses), Damon, and Juan Pierre. Castillo was definitely not the best hitter in the game when he semi-threatened the record.

Also, Pete Rose does not fit this mold, yet he got the closest. This tells me that if you're an EXTREMELY talented hitter, you don't really have to be a speed demon. Therefore I would open the list up to Miguel Cabrera, Albert Pujols, and possibly A-Rod (though I don't like his Ks at all). Manny is a little too slow to be included, IMO, plus, he's on the downhill side of his career.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:53 pm

slomo007 wrote: That list (IMO) would include M. Young, Crawford, Reyes (in a couple of years if he progresses), Damon, and Juan Pierre. Also, Pete Rose does not fit this mold, yet he got the closest. This tells me that if you're an EXTREMELY talented hitter, you don't really have to be a speed demon. Therefore I would open the list up to Miguel Cabrera, Albert Pujols, and possibly A-Rod


what about Adam Dunn? O:-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 692)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:55 pm

wrveres wrote:
slomo007 wrote: That list (IMO) would include M. Young, Crawford, Reyes (in a couple of years if he progresses), Damon, and Juan Pierre. Also, Pete Rose does not fit this mold, yet he got the closest. This tells me that if you're an EXTREMELY talented hitter, you don't really have to be a speed demon. Therefore I would open the list up to Miguel Cabrera, Albert Pujols, and possibly A-Rod


what about Adam Dunn? O:-)


Adam serves his own purpose....just not as hit king. lol.

A-Rod probably won't have a chance because he doesn't put the ball in to play enough, there would definitely have to be a luck factor involved with seeing eye singles and opposite field bloops. Go ahead and knock him off the list I gave.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:57 pm

slomo007 wrote:
blankman wrote:
slomo007 wrote:So Ichiro is the only player in the league better than Luis Castillo?

If Luis Castillo can get to 35, a lot of other players can do better, given the right luck.


Saying a lot of other players can do better (with such a high certainty as you are acting) because they are better than Castillo seems a bit insane to me when only 2, that's 2, players have had longer streaks than Castillo since DiMaggio and countless numbers of them are/were better than Castillo.

As for the record, and your paraphrased logic "well Castillo got to 35, and he's not good, so someone good could break it." You're acting like Castillo was close to the record, and that someone better than him could break it. Castillo's 35 is still a whopping 22 games short.

Again, only 2 players have had longer streaks than Castillo since DiMaggio. Just because players are better than Castillo, that has little bearing on them actually doing better than Castillo, as countless better players have come and gone and not reached Castillo.


Why not quote my whole post? I went on to say that "The truth is, nobody knows for sure, but saying Ichiro is the only one who might be able to do it seems pretty close-minded. If Luis Castillo can get to 35, a lot of other players can do better, given the right luck."

If you're going to acknowledge the fact that Ichiro has a very slim shot at it (as AT did) then why not acknowledge the fact that every hitter in the game similar to Ichiro has the chance as well? That list (IMO) would include M. Young, Crawford, Reyes (in a couple of years if he progresses), Damon, and Juan Pierre. Castillo was definitely not the best hitter in the game when he semi-threatened the record.

Also, Pete Rose does not fit this mold, yet he got the closest. This tells me that if you're an EXTREMELY talented hitter, you don't really have to be a speed demon. Therefore I would open the list up to Miguel Cabrera, Albert Pujols, and possibly A-Rod (though I don't like his Ks at all). Manny is a little too slow to be included, IMO, plus, he's on the downhill side of his career.


I didn't quote the whole post because it was too much to read again.

The fact that only 2 players have done better than Castillo and the fact that Castillo was still a very long way away is a true testament to the greatness of the record and I think you are underrating that.

I really don't think anyone in the game today will ever reach the record.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:59 pm

I have a strange feeling that if it were an old Boston Red Sox record, you'd be driving the bus right to breakville.

Yes, it's an outstanding record, and when it gets broken it will be a moment that all of us will be able to truly remember. I do, as opposed to many, think it will happen within our lifetimes.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Balco » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:05 am

Miggy ;-D
Balco
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 270
Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Praying for a Win.

Postby CeeLoGreen » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:09 am

dorje3 wrote:I got a '41 Yankee ball signed by the team after they won the WS. The year Joe hit in 56 straight. Some great players; Lefty Gomez, Chase Red Ruffing, Bill Dickey, Phil Rizutto...
Really cool ball but unfortunately I am a Red Sox fan. :-?
Can't see that record broken though.


Whats a Red Sox fan doing with this ball. Ill take it off your hands, if you can't stand the sight of it.
CeeLoGreen
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2534
Joined: 22 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Where Ever I'm At

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Sunday, Oct. 26
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact