56 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:57 am

I don't think I will see it broken in my lifetime. For someone to break it they will have to be a great contact hitter with little patience to take a walk. I also think they would have to be on a team with a great offense mostly likely a AL cause of the DH. I'd put my money down on Ichiro or Vlad but like I said I don't see it happening.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dannyolbb » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:24 am

How about someone from the Rockies? Obviously, they don't have a great team right now but with Ian Stewart coming up, maybe they'll have some players that can challenge.
dannyolbb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AT » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:31 am

dannyolbb wrote:How about someone from the Rockies? Obviously, they don't have a great team right now but with Ian Stewart coming up, maybe they'll have some players that can challenge.

Good call man. Ian Stewart should definitely challenge that record because he plays in Coors Field. 56 Straight. Absolutely. Even though Todd Helton and Larry Walker have never even come close while hitting close to .400. You guys are getting out of control.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:43 am

Not gonna happen. Does anyone think we'll ever see someone hit .400 again?
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby dannyolbb » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:48 am

Atrophying Testicles wrote:
dannyolbb wrote:How about someone from the Rockies? Obviously, they don't have a great team right now but with Ian Stewart coming up, maybe they'll have some players that can challenge.

Good call man. Ian Stewart should definitely challenge that record because he plays in Coors Field. 56 Straight. Absolutely. Even though Todd Helton and Larry Walker have never even come close while hitting close to .400. You guys are getting out of control.

Why so touchy? The question was asked if someone could hit in 56 straight again. We all agree that it probably, most-likely, 99 44/100ths percent sure that it won't happen again. But we're speculating. Of those with the best chance, I'd put my money on a good young hitter coming up with Colorado or Texas and having a long homestand or two. Will it happen? Probably not. Could it happen. Sure.

If this is your demeanor all the time, I think I've figured out why your testicles are atrophying.
dannyolbb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AT » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:08 am

dannyolbb wrote:

Why so touchy? The question was asked if someone could hit in 56 straight again. We all agree that it probably, most-likely, 99 44/100ths percent sure that it won't happen again. But we're speculating. Of those with the best chance, I'd put my money on a good young hitter coming up with Colorado or Texas and having a long homestand or two. Will it happen? Probably not. Could it happen. Sure.

If this is your demeanor all the time, I think I've figured out why your testicles are atrophying.

Why so touchy? Because you are just another in the long line of people who are cheapening the record by even suggesting that anyone, nevermind a player in the minor leagues, could break the 56-game streak. Someone needs to stick up for the sanctity of certain baseball records. I just happen to be the one sticking up for this one. And as for why my name is "Atrophying Testicles", it has nothing to do with me. It's a play, or a "pun" if you will, on the condition of baseball players in today's game. It's a joke. Apparently you don't get it. It's ok. You're not the only one.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby WharfRat » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:20 am

dannyolbb wrote:

Why so touchy? Because you are just another in the long line of people who are cheapening the record by even suggesting that anyone, nevermind a player in the minor leagues, could break the 56-game streak. Someone needs to stick up for the sanctity of certain baseball records. I just happen to be the one sticking up for this one. And as for why my name is "Atrophying Testicles", it has nothing to do with me. It's a play, or a "pun" if you will, on the condition of baseball players in today's game. It's a joke. Apparently you don't get it. It's ok. You're not the only one.

How does discussing the potential for breaking a record cheapen it again? I guess we all owe Hank Aaron an apology for talking Bonds' likelihood of breaking his record? Yeah, some guys have gone a little overboard (the minor leaguer being an example), but Christ on toast, I don't think we're defiling the Church of Dimaggio or anything. And some valid points have been brought up.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby AT » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:44 am

I don't have a problem with talking about it and I certainly think there are guys who are capable of it. It'd be stupid for me not to think it could be done. However, there are just some names that were thrown out there that were downright ridiculous. There's just certain names that you shouldn't speculate as having a shot to break it. I mean, look at Aaron's HR record. Don't you think it was a little ridiculous when ESPN ran that thing of players under 30 who had the best shot to break his record about a month or 2 ago? They mentioned like Adam Dunn and Miguel Cabrera as 2 that came to mind and made me think they were out of their mind and although those 2 guys are good players and definite power hitters, the fact that they mentioned them was kind of a joke and almost insulting to the record. Mentioning ARod and Pujols as possibilities is different. Just like DiMaggio's record...If you mentioned Ichiro at least he has the record for most hits in a single season and you could have some ground to stand on other than "this guy bunts well and is fast" or "this guy has had some great years, maybe he'll do it" or "this guy's field is going to propel him to one of the most untouchable records in all of sports" or "how about a prospect?". Those are the types of things that are practically insulting to the record.

For example, let's use Dunn as an example for that one. the guy's career average for HR/AB is 1 per 13.98. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt that he continues above that pace to 1/13 since he's just entering his prime (He turns 26 in November). Over 550 AB's (Also giving him the benefit of the doubt) he would average 42.30 HR's per season. With 367 AB's this season and 150 Career HR's at an average of 1HR per every 13 AB's giving him 550 AB's for the season he would hit another 13.8 HR's, make it 14 getting him to 164 entering the 2006 season at Age 26. If he plays 12 more years to get to age 38 with 42.30 HR's per season (I'll use 43 to compute), he will reach 680 HR's for his career at the end of the 2017 season. He would still need 2 more seasons of slightly below his career average to tie the record. Or, he could do it by age 38 if he were to average 49.25 Home Runs per season for the next 12 years. To say that a guy has a chance to do that is pretty ridiculous. And I use the same logic to say it's pretty ridiculous to say that certain guys have the chance to hit in 56 consecutive games.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:50 am

Ichiro is the only guy I would think could break the record. He's the only one with enough bat control and speed to do it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby taw856 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:46 pm

I still don't get why it's ridiculous to say that someone has a chance to do something. Heaven forbid we acknowledge baseball isn't played on paper, and that improbable events are nevertheless possible, even statistically!

I mean, look at your own list of recent players with 30-game hit streaks... it includes Benito Santiago!

Besides, the whole point of the thread in the first place was to discuss which "ridiculous" guys might be able to do it. If it's appropriate to discuss Pujols and A-Rod for the all-time HR record, then it's appropriate to discuss young players whose careers haven't reached their turning point yet, since, after all, Pujols and A-Rod were once prospects themselves. (It's true! I looked it up!)

Did you think David Schoenfield's article on future Hall-of-Famers was ridiculous for including some young players too? (After all, he could have just chosen 40 established players and pretended not a single current player with less than four years in the majors will make it to Cooperstown. And that might have been more appropriate too, right? Not insulting true Hall of Famer's credentials by including them in the same discussion as that imposter of a creature known as the player who hasn't turned 25 yet.)
taw856
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers