56 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Trot Nixon » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:53 pm

Mark Bellhorn ;-D
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kingctb27 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:13 pm

I think it will get broken sooner or later. Some guys that could do it now would be......

Ichiro, Pujols, Vlad, Miggy, and possibly Johnny Damon.

My bet would be on Ichiro.
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby slomo007 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:11 am

I'm with the group that says the record is not untouchable.

Ichiro, Michael Young, Reyes and Carl Crawford are the guys who come to mind to have a chance at the record at some point in their respective careers.

Obviously Reyes and Crawford will need to progress substantially at the plate before being legitimate threats, but they're still young so it's definitely possible.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby The_Met_Threat » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:09 am

It wont be untouchable thats for sure, someone will just have a crazy season and do it. I dont know how soon it will happen but it will. I dont think Reyes will do it this season.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mweir145 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:11 am

The_Met_Threat wrote:It wont be untouchable thats for sure, someone will just have a crazy season and do it. I dont know how soon it will happen but it will. I dont think Reyes will do it this season.

I've always wanted someone to come close in breaking this record, are you guys saying Reyes has a shot? I'm not sure, 56 games, that's a lot of games to hit safely in continually. :-o
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby AT » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:49 am

I can't believe I just read a thread that was started by a guy who thinks Jose Reyes has the best shot at DiMaggio's streak. Even being in that discussion is unbelievable and the only name that should get some "mention" of doing it could be Ichiro but I'm not even inclined to mention his name. This is ridiculous.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby matmat » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:15 am

hmmm...

do you think there would be any assinine managers in the majors that would look at some guy with a 50+ game hit streak and just tell his pitchers to walk him every time he's at the plate?
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LooseCannon » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:19 am

matmat wrote:hmmm...

do you think there would be any assinine managers in the majors that would look at some guy with a 50+ game hit streak and just tell his pitchers to walk him every time he's at the plate?

there was a thread about this before......if you're walked every time then it doesn't end your hitting streak......and I think that Reyes might have a shot to come close a few years from now......I picture someone who dominates to do it later on......It seems like to break this record you have to dominate in your career as leadoff hitter... Reyes is good and all, but him dominant...not really...just my 2 cents.

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:40 am

Yes, I know it's waaaay too early in his career to say he has a chance at breaking this amazing record, but with his infield single ability i've got to imagin Willy Taveras has atleast an outside shot. I mean this kid can flat out fly... shit he might be able to break the record on infield hits alone! haha :-D
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AT » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:56 am

Wily Taveras, Jose Reyes, Michael Young, Carl Crawford, Ichiro, Pujols, Vlad, Miggy, Johnny Damon, Juan Pierre, Rickie Weeks have all been seriously mentioned as guys who could hit in 56 straight games. Read that again. The only guys to "come close" in the last 27 years of note:

1978 Pete Rose 44 (All time hit king)
1987 Paul Molitor 39 (Hall of Fame)
2002 Luis Castillo 35
1987 Benito Santiago 34
1999 Vlad Guerrero 31 (Future HOF)
2003 Albert Pujols 30 (Future HOF)
2005 Johnny Damon 29

The full list is below of guys who have gone over 30...
http://www.thebaseballpage.com/stats/li ... treaks.htm

After you go through that list of guys who have gotten within 12 or more games of catching Joe go back to this thread and read the names people have thrown out there and then maybe you will have 1/2 the reaction I'm having right now. You guys are out of your minds. There are certain records in sports that you just don't put certain names to as "maybe this guy could break it" and this is one of them. It's sacred, and for guys who are as baseball educated as most cafe members are, a lot of you should be ashamed of yourselves. No joke. Think about it. This whole thread is insulting to that record and it cheapens it quite a bit.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers