Post your Movie Reviews.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Post your Movie Reviews..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby WharfRat » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:26 pm

Rkiivs wrote:
WharfRat wrote:Ella Fitzgerald-type jazz soundtrack...

Something tells me that a Jazz music thread is going to be needed very soon.

I could handle that. ;-D
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ironman » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:39 pm

Walk the Line

My wife and I went a saw this on friday night. We originally intended to see Goblet of Fire but it was all sold out, alas we went to the Cash biopic instead.

Overall "Line" was a good movie. Joaquin Phoenix did a decent job portraying Cash as did Reese Witherspoon as June Carter. I thought the filmmakers did a so-so job though with the other characters. Its hard to tell that the actor playing Elvis is actually Elvis until someone in the movie calls him by his name.

I thought the story played out well, although it does jump from year to year with a degree of choppiness that seems better suited for a documentary, not a cohesive drama. It also seems to end rather abruptly leaving with a feeling of, "Oh, that's it?"

Here's my biggest issue with the film. With "Ray" coming out last year it will be hard for anyone to take this film seriously without thinking they are merely riding on the coattails of success from that film. The parallels between them are pretty clear.

Overall I give this movie 3 out of 5 stars. Its a good movie about one of the great musical artists. I'd suspect a best supporting nod to Witherspoon and perhaps a best actor for Phoenix, but I doubt either would win.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby Coppermine » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:45 pm

Thanks for the review of Walk the Line... I want to see it, but I'll probably wait to Netflix it... I've heard a lot of buzz about it on NPR since documentary dramas are all the rage these days (thanks to the success of Ray, although it seems that the director started making plans for this movie years ago since he personally asked Cash's permission to make the movie... Cash's only request was the the guy who plays him doesn't 'suck'... or something like that).

This weekend my girlfriend's parents suggested we watch Out of Time starring Denzel Washington. This movie sucked. I've seen better episodes of CSI than this movie... CSI: New York. Yeah, it was that bad.

Critics gave this movie fairly good reviews because Denzel Washington was in it... apparently everyone's kissing his ass nowadays. Aside from Training Day, I have yet to see a Denzel movie I enjoyed (I could be wrong though, anyone have one off hand?).

So there's my contribution.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ironman » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:50 pm

Coppermine wrote:Aside from Training Day, I have yet to see a Denzel movie I enjoyed (I could be wrong though, anyone have one off hand?).

Have you seen "Glory"? If not put it on your queue.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Coppermine » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:53 pm

ironman wrote:
Coppermine wrote:Aside from Training Day, I have yet to see a Denzel movie I enjoyed (I could be wrong though, anyone have one off hand?).

Good point, I've seen Glory, it was fantastic. It was just so long ago I forgot all about it. Saw it back in the VHS stone age.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:31 pm

Out of Time did suck. Big time. But there have been a lot of DW films I liked. I really like him as an actor but he doesn't always choose the best roles (like Out of Time, the new Manchurian Candidate, etc.) Two of my favorites are the ones you guys mentioned: Training Day and Glory.

Some other great ones (IMHO):

Man on Fire
Antwone Fisher
Remember the Titans
Crimson Tide
Philadelphia
The Hurricane
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:57 pm

Coppermine wrote:
ironman wrote:

Good point, I've seen Glory, it was fantastic. It was just so long ago I forgot all about it. Saw it back in the VHS stone age.

Glory was excellent - so were The Hurricane and Crimson Tide.

We also went to see Goblet this W/E and it was sold out - thankfully it was multi-google-plex that had it showing every 20 minutes.

Golbet was pretty good. I've said this before but Hermione is going to be a real babe in 5 years and it makes me uncomfortable looking at her now and knowing that she's only like 14.

It was a well done, fast paced movie. Potter fans are going to complain about all the cutting that they had to do - entire characters are missing from the story. The only solution though is to make it two movies or hit Rowling on the head with a brick when she gets up to page 300 or so.

The holdover cast from the original movie is superb. The new characters are not as good. Cho Chang and the French girl are not nearly good looking enough and Mad-eye looks a little ridiculous. Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort more than make up for it though.

Overall this Potter fan gives it 7/10
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby WharfRat » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:13 pm

Amazinz wrote:Out of Time did suck. Big time. But there have been a lot of DW films I liked. I really like him as an actor but he doesn't always choose the best roles (like Out of Time, the new Manchurian Candidate, etc.) Two of my favorites are the ones you guys mentioned: Training Day and Glory.

Some other great ones (IMHO):

Man on Fire
Antwone Fisher
Remember the Titans
Crimson Tide
Philadelphia
The Hurricane

Don't forget Mo Better Blues! Awesome flick.

Another one most haven't seen: Cry Freedom. It's pretty old (20 years maybe?) but it's definitely worth a spot on Netflix.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Pacman » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:00 am

Thought I'd revive this one to ashamedly admit I finally got around to seeing Anchorman the other night. I'd heard it was lame, and even tho Will Ferrell makes me laugh, I'd not rented it yet.

But finally I saw it, and yeah, it was pretty weak, but had enough laughs to make me okay with investing the 90 minutes into watching it.

But the one thing I came away from, and felt inclined to post here about is: Christina Applegate is still HOT! Guys, Kelly Bundy has grown into a smokin hot 30-something woman.

Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby ironman » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:27 pm

I thought I'd try and revive this thread.

We recently just saw The Matador starring Pierce Brosnan and Greg Kinnear. It was good. Interesting story with a good mix of quirky humor. Of course I also drank 3/4 a bottle of Cabernet before I watched it so I was feeling pretty good to start with.

Anyway, red wine or not, I'd recommend it.

8 out of 10.
;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk