NCAA Bans Indian Named Teams from tournaments... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

NCAA Bans Indian Named Teams from tournaments...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:21 am

Overreacting. :-t
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby theclefe » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:19 am

Good thing my school is no good at sports. Our nickname was the Springfield College Raging Redmen Scalp Collectors.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:20 am

Todd Wright (All-Night host on ESPN radio for you non-insomniacs O:-)) had a guy on last night who basically said that the NCAA was getting involved in something it has no business getting involved with in the first place. Since this whole mess started (I believe) as a difference in opinion between the FLA and OK Seminole tribes, the NCAA really had no reason to even join the discussion. And second, the NCAA only has "jurisdiction" over postseason tournaments, and the only one of consequence is the D-I college baseketball tourney since the BCS is run by an outside organization. So really, all the NCAA is trying to do here is make a splash and appease an apparently (based on all reactions I've seen) very small minority.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby acsguitar » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:47 am

I personally think this is a good idea...Come on now we totally are treating the entire race as a "Fairytale" Mascot. Now maybee a lacrosse team named after a Native American Culture would be appropriate since it is their sport.

I mean we did rape, kill, and steal all their land and money the least we could do is respect there culture and not name our sports teams after them like they are animals or fictious beings like leprachauns.

Ok the following isn't me joking its being serious so don't send hate mail and no yellow card please.

How is "Redskins" different then Nigger or Chink or Spic? its not.

I'm a "Redskins" Fan by the way and I still feel its messed up. We treat this culture like they are dirt...

On a side note I find it interesting that showing boobs of Western Women is blured and censored yet we can show African women's boobs and its ok.. Kinda makes them look like animals or something... "Oh its ok they aren't real people thats what there boobs look like because they are savages."

:-t
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BigMusky » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:54 pm

You should do some more research on your Native American modern history before you make such strong judgement on who is disrespecting who's culture.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby acsguitar » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:07 pm

BigMusky wrote:You should do some more research on your Native American modern history before you make such strong judgement on who is disrespecting who's culture.

how so?
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby TheRock » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:18 pm

Nobody is going to name their team after something they consider inferior and want to mock. "Indians", "Braves", and "Seminoles" is no more disrespectful to American Indians than "Steelers" is to Pennsylvania steelworkers and "Cowboys" is to rural Texans. At one time our country did horribly mistreat the indigenous peoples, and they no dount had to endure narrow-minded bigots for years. In some parts of the country perhaps this is still an issue. But by and large, Native American heritage is revered. The Indian brave is a symbol of strength and bravery, who wouldn't want to be associated with that?

I have some Native American ancestry(1/4 Sioux), so I feel a bit more "entitled" to an opinion than someone who's a fan of a team. I'm proud of my heritage, and anything which celebrates my ancestors is a good thing. If we're going to start making a big deal about the way my people were treated 100 years ago, here's my solution - why stop at being "sensitive" with team names? Y'all need to get the hell out! :-D
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:55 pm

I respect your points but I still don't feel like its appropriate
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby BigMusky » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:47 pm

acsguitar wrote:I respect your points but I still don't feel like its appropriate

what about The Fighting Illini? What is your beef with them? They were whiped out by another Indian tribe so the white men never did anything to them.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby warrick95 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:35 pm

acsguitar wrote:I personally think this is a good idea...Come on now we totally are treating the entire race as a "Fairytale" Mascot. Now maybee a lacrosse team named after a Native American Culture would be appropriate since it is their sport.

I mean we did rape, kill, and steal all their land and money the least we could do is respect there culture and not name our sports teams after them like they are animals or fictious beings like leprachauns.

Ok the following isn't me joking its being serious so don't send hate mail and no yellow card please.

How is "Redskins" different then Nigger or Chink or Spic? its not.

I'm a "Redskins" Fan by the way and I still feel its messed up. We treat this culture like they are dirt...

On a side note I find it interesting that showing boobs of Western Women is blured and censored yet we can show African women's boobs and its ok.. Kinda makes them look like animals or something... "Oh its ok they aren't real people thats what there boobs look like because they are savages."

:-t

Just curious, what are your opinions about "Ragin Cajuns" and "Fighting Irish?"
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk