Superfan99 Sentenced to Death - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Superfan99 Sentenced to Death

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Superfan99 Sentenced to Death

Postby AT » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:50 am

This story is just a disaster.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/m ... ml?cnn=yes

Florida sports fan sentenced to death
Posted: Friday August 5, 2005 12:55AM; Updated: Friday August 5, 2005 12:55AM

PANAMA CITY, Fla. (AP) -- A man who got angry with his wife because she wanted to cuddle after sex when what he really wanted to do was watch sports on television was sentenced to death for killing her with a claw hammer.

Christopher Offord, 30, was sentenced Wednesday by Circuit Judge Dedee Costello, who said the brutality of the crime outweighed any mental problems Offord may have had.

"The defendant struck his wife approximately 70 individual blows after spending a happy interlude with her," the judge said. "Her desire to cuddle after sex does not justify the extremely violent, brutal response of the defendant."

Offord pleaded guilty to first-degree murder in the 2004 slaying of Dana Noser, 40, at his apartment.

He confessed to a bartender at a sports bar before his arrest. He told investigators that his wife had been nagging him to come back to bed.
Offord did not speak in court but said in a jailhouse interview in June: "I figured I killed her so I deserve to die."

Yikes. Must've been a big game.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Laean » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:39 pm

that poor woman.

on a side note, i thought if you plead guilty you get a reduced sentence. if he's getting the death penalty, he might as well have plead not guilty and fought for murder 2 or something no? it seems like he could've lowered it to a murder 2 as well, since the killing doesn't seem to have been predetermined.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby reznorsboy » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:44 pm

It says in his apartment but I'm sure they ment Trailer :-b
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AT » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:46 pm

Laean wrote:that poor woman.

on a side note, i thought if you plead guilty you get a reduced sentence. if he's getting the death penalty, he might as well have plead not guilty and fought for murder 2 or something no? it seems like he could've lowered it to a murder 2 as well, since the killing doesn't seem to have been predetermined.

I think you mean premeditated and getting a rock hammer qualifies as premeditation since it's pretty unlikely he just had it lying around in his bedroom and picked it up in the heat of passion. Also, in a case like this where he issued a verbal confession to someone and shows no contrition he likely confessed to police as well, possibly even written by the looks of it. Once that happens, it doesn't matter how he pleads. It goes to the judge and he just has to have his fingers crossed. Doesn't look like he showed contrition or apologies or anything to give the Judge any leeway in reducing his sentence based on the guilty plea. With a rock-hard case and no contrition from the defendant the prosecution probably never offered him a deal and the judge had no room to give him a lesser sentence. Especially considering the nature of the crime.

<--------------- Criminal Justice Degree from U of Maryland.

Surprisingly I learned a couple things in college.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Laean » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:02 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:

I think you mean premeditated and getting a rock hammer qualifies as premeditation since it's pretty unlikely he just had it lying around in his bedroom and picked it up in the heat of passion. Also, in a case like this where he issued a verbal confession to someone and shows no contrition he likely confessed to police as well, possibly even written by the looks of it. Once that happens, it doesn't matter how he pleads. It goes to the judge and he just has to have his fingers crossed. Doesn't look like he showed contrition or apologies or anything to give the Judge any leeway in reducing his sentence based on the guilty plea. With a rock-hard case and no contrition from the defendant the prosecution probably never offered him a deal and the judge had no room to give him a lesser sentence. Especially considering the nature of the crime.

<--------------- Criminal Justice Degree from U of Maryland.

Surprisingly I learned a couple things in college.

yeah my mistake, i meant premeditation - little brain spaz there. yeah, i suppose most people don't have a rock hammer just lying around.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DK » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:10 pm

Minority Report?
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby acsguitar » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:18 pm

Psycho! :-t Wow that was crazy
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby go_jays_go » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:03 pm

Thats freaking terrible. :-°

His life was probably on the line also with a big bet, so he wanted to watch the game... :-b
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby The_Met_Threat » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:10 pm

Whats wrong with having a hammer lying around? Anyone could just have it there, maybe after fixing up the house. Its just a normal hammer.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:16 pm

:-t :-t
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk