Mazzili fired - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mazzili fired

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:30 pm

Aren't the O's a co-GM between the fool Jim Beattie and someone else?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:52 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:They've lost 14 of their past 15 games. How can anyone be surprised by this?

As a lot of people have said in the Dusty Baker thread, it really doesn't matter if it is his fault or not. The GM can't fire the entire team and the fans are demanding that something be done or else they will stop coming out to the games.

The O's are 10 1/5 games out of first. They have to still pretend like they are trying to get to the playoffs.

8-o

wow the responses on here are drastically different than what I expected.

interesting..

Now I'd gamble that nobody on these boards has ever met both Mazzili and Baker, but yet their "Opinions" apparently forged by scribes are so drastically different ..

Fricking amazing.

Mazzilli had Two 500 HR hitters on his squad.
He had Tejada, Roberts .. Mora ..

and a decent picthing staff .. A solid bullpen ...

But yet here one is love and "going to be missed" and the other is hated beyond belief, and should quit NOW and go and be a broadcaster.

I can't help but notice there is one glaring difference between the two. ;-)

shocked I am...
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby tomkatt » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:28 pm

I was just thinking about Lee's job security last night when I was watching Bedard self destruct. I'm not saying it was all his fault, but I also can't say I'm shocked by it or anything.
tomkatt
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:31 pm

wrveres wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:

shocked I am...

RACIST!! RACIST!! RACIST!! RACIST!! RACIST!! RACIST!! RACIST!! RACIST!! :-o

Just kidding ;-)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:51 am

wrveres wrote:I can't help but notice there is one glaring difference between the two. ;-)

shocked I am...

No difference here. He's got a team that's 4-16 in their last 20 games (before today). They are not living up to expectations, so the manager is the one to take the heat and get fired. I don't see an issue or a surprise that this happened. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby stumpak » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:38 am

This is like the Reds situation: management is totally inept at the executive level and the manager, although no great shakes, ends up being the fall guy even though he was provided personnel that John McGraw could not coak into the playoffs.

Mazzilli was supposed to win with worthless Ponson and 4 up and down young guys in his rotation? Please, none of this is his fault, it is Beattie and Flanagan's. You could argue that there were few opportunities to go after starting pitching in the offseason, but Matt Clemeent would have done a hell of a lot more for that team than blowing equivilant money on the completely washed up Sosa.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:54 am

wrveres wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:They've lost 14 of their past 15 games. How can anyone be surprised by this?

As a lot of people have said in the Dusty Baker thread, it really doesn't matter if it is his fault or not. The GM can't fire the entire team and the fans are demanding that something be done or else they will stop coming out to the games.

The O's are 10 1/5 games out of first. They have to still pretend like they are trying to get to the playoffs.

8-o

wow the responses on here are drastically different than what I expected.

interesting..

Now I'd gamble that nobody on these boards has ever met both Mazzili and Baker, but yet their "Opinions" apparently forged by scribes are so drastically different ..

Fricking amazing.

Mazzilli had Two 500 HR hitters on his squad.
He had Tejada, Roberts .. Mora ..

and a decent picthing staff .. A solid bullpen ...

But yet here one is love and "going to be missed" and the other is hated beyond belief, and should quit NOW and go and be a broadcaster.

shocked I am...

I have absolutely no idea, zero, what you are getting at here wr. My position on both of them is the same. They are both very good guys and IMO good coaches too.

Both have managed teams that are underperforming and/or not meeting expectations. They are both taking the fall for their team's lack of performance.

I'm not surprised that Maz got fired and I will not be surprised when it happens to Dusty. Is it fair that these guys take the fall for their team's performance? Not really but I'm not crying for them. Both are making much more than me and IMO have it pretty easy. Sure there is pressure but they don't work as hard as football coaches and there are literally hundreds of people who could do their job with a similar degree of success. So they get fired - big deal, happens every day.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers