Bret Boone - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minnesota Twins

Bret Boone

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bret Boone

Postby The Thrill » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:33 pm

Anyone think we should've stuck it out with Boone? I don't know, I don't realisticly think anyone else is going to do much better.

Boone, in fact, supplied more Double Plays (per start) than any of our other secondbasemen. I think maybe we could've used his defense still (and hoped for the spark to start on offense).
Name DPs - GSs - %
Boone 10-14 71%
Rivas 23-34 67%
Punto 38-57 67%

When he joined this club, we pretty much towered over him and implied that if doesn't hit, he'll be gone. Nothing like giving a guy some confidence. And really, it's not like any of our other options are going to hit that much better. :-?

Overall, I don't disagree that hitting is a problem, but we're not that far off from last season.

Last season, Twins stats
YEAR AVG OBP
2004 .266 .332
2005 .261 .328

The Twins are 55-52. They were 60-45 at this point last year (which is where Oakland is at now and is in the WC spot). They were 55-55 at this point in 2003. The Sox are simply playing well. Other teams in the rest of the league have improved and we've stayed the steady course hoping it gets us by again. Unfortunately, it just isn't so far this year. :,-(
The Thrill
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 33)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Bret Boone

Postby Crimedogg32 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:30 am

The Thrill wrote:Anyone think we should've stuck it out with Boone? I don't know, I don't realisticly think anyone else is going to do much better.

Boone, in fact, supplied more Double Plays (per start) than any of our other secondbasemen. I think maybe we could've used his defense still (and hoped for the spark to start on offense).
Name DPs - GSs - %
Boone 10-14 71%
Rivas 23-34 67%
Punto 38-57 67%

When he joined this club, we pretty much towered over him and implied that if doesn't hit, he'll be gone. Nothing like giving a guy some confidence. And really, it's not like any of our other options are going to hit that much better. :-?

Overall, I don't disagree that hitting is a problem, but we're not that far off from last season.

Last season, Twins stats
YEAR AVG OBP
2004 .266 .332
2005 .261 .328

The Twins are 55-52. They were 60-45 at this point last year (which is where Oakland is at now and is in the WC spot). They were 55-55 at this point in 2003. The Sox are simply playing well. Other teams in the rest of the league have improved and we've stayed the steady course hoping it gets us by again. Unfortunately, it just isn't so far this year. :,-(

If Gardy would ever start Luis Rodriguez he would do better. To bad they start Punto and he bunts no matter what...
Crimedogg32
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Bret Boone

Postby The Thrill » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:13 pm

Crimedogg32 wrote:If Gardy would ever start Luis Rodriguez he would do better. To bad they start Punto and he bunts no matter what...

I made it over to Saturday's game. They started Abernathy. Boy, that sure was exciting. ;-7

Actually, I do hope he does well. He's battin' .360+ since, so let's hope that continues. ;-D
The Thrill
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 33)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Return to Minnesota Twins