Hockey bombshell trades - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Hockey bombshell trades

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BigMusky » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:01 pm

Rule 65 Icing the Puck

(a) For the purpose of this Rule, the center red line will divide the ice into halves. Should any player of a Team, equal or superior in numerical strength to the opposing Team, shoot, bat or deflect the puck from his own half of the ice beyond the goal line of the opposing Team, play shall be stopped and the puck faced-off at the end face-off spot of the offending Team, unless on the play, the puck shall have entered the net of the opposing Team, in which case the goal shall be allowed.

For the purpose of this Rule, the point of last contact with the puck by the Team in possession shall be used to determine whether icing has occurred or not.

(NOTE 1) If during the period of a delayed whistle due to a foul by a player of the side NOT in possession, the side in possession "ices" the puck, then the face-off following the stoppage of play shall take place in the neutral zone near the defending blue line of the Team icing the puck.

(NOTE 2) When a Team is "short-handed" as the result of a penalty and the penalty is about to expire, the decision as to whether there has been an "icing" shall be determined at the instant the penalty expires. The action of the penalized player remaining in the penalty box will not alter the ruling.

When a Team is "short-handed" by reason of a major penalty, and they have neglected to ensure there is a player on the penalty bench to exit upon the expiry of the penalty, they will continue to play short-handed but are not permitted to ice the puck. Icing will be called. They may substitute for this penalized player at the next stoppage of play.

(NOTE 3) For the purpose of interpretation of the Rule, "icing the puck" is completed the instant the puck is touched first by a defending player (other than the goalkeeper) after it has crossed the goal line and if in the action of so touching the puck, it is knocked or deflected into the net, it is NO goal.

(NOTE 4) When the puck is shot and rebounds from the body or stick of an opponent in his own half of the ice so as to cross the goal line of the player shooting, it shall not be considered as "icing."

(NOTE 5) Notwithstanding the provisions of the section concerning "batting" the puck in respect to the "icing the puck" rule, the provisions of the final paragraph of Rule 59(e) apply and NO goal can be scored by batting the puck with the hand into the opponent's goal whether intended or not.

(NOTE 6) If while the Linesman has signalled a slow whistle for a clean interception under Rule 77(c), the player intercepting shoots or bats the puck beyond the opponent's goal line in such a manner as to constitute "icing the puck," the Linesman's "slow whistle" shall be considered exhausted the instant the puck crosses the blue line and "icing" shall be called in the usual manner.

(b) If a player of the side shooting the puck down the ice who is on-side and eligible to play the puck does so before it is touched by an opposing player, the play shall continue and it shall not be considered a violation of this Rule.

(c) If the puck was so shot by a player of a side below the numerical strength of the opposing Team, play shall continue and the icing violation shall not be called.

(NOTE) If the Team returns to full strength following a shot by one of its players, play shall continue and the face-off shall not take place.

WASH-OUT

(d) If, however, the puck shall go beyond the goal line in the opposite half of the ice directly from either of the players while facing-off, it shall not be considered a violation of this Rule.

(e) If, in the opinion of the Linesman, any player of the opposing Team is able to play the puck before it passes his goal line, but has not done so, play shall continue and the icing violation shall not be called. If, in the opinion of the Referee, the defending side intentionally abstains from playing the puck promptly when they are in a position to do so, he shall stop the play and order the resulting face-off on the adjacent corner face-off spot nearest the goal of the Team at fault.

*NEW*
If, in the opinion of the Linesman, the goaltender leaves the crease on a potential icing and feigns playing the puck at any time, the potential icing shall not be called and play shall continue.

(NOTE) The purpose of this section is to enforce continuous action and both Referee and Linesmen should interpret and apply the Rule to produce this result.

(f) If the puck touches any part of a player of the opposing side, including his skates or his stick, or if it touches any part of the opposing Team's goalkeeper, including his skates or his stick, at any time before or after crossing the goal line, it shall not be considered icing.

(NOTE) If a goalkeeper takes any action to dislodge the puck from the back of the net, icing shall be washed out.

(g) If the Linesman shall have erred in calling an "icing the puck" infraction (regardless of whether either Team is short-handed), the puck shall be faced-off on the center ice face-off spot
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:51 pm

To dumb it down, the old rule was that unless you were shorthanded, if you shot the puck from behind center ice and it went past the goal line without going through the crease, it was icing.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:13 am

reznorsboy wrote:Madison How can you not like the fastest game on earth. Say what you want about hockey but it is the most exciting pro sport to watch live. I think the reason it has trouble is because it requires a little brain power to keep up.

I didn't say I don't like it, just that I don't watch it. Due to tie games and penalties for the puck travelling too far without being touched (like icing) just doesn't make sense to me. Completely turned me off the sport.

It's not the brainpower part, it's just a preferance not to have silly rules and dumb things like ties. Now that ties are no longer a part of the game, I'll probably give it another chance because that was the biggest thing that bugged me. Who wants to watch and cheer for 3 hours and have it wind up in a tie? That's no fun to me at all. :-P

Oh, and if you check around on the boards, I've always said hockey players are the toughest athletes of any of the major sports. They lose 3 teeth, get 17 stitches, and are right back out on the ice. None of the other sports players come close to doing anything like that. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby reznorsboy » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:51 am

Madison wrote:
reznorsboy wrote:Madison How can you not like the fastest game on earth. Say what you want about hockey but it is the most exciting pro sport to watch live. I think the reason it has trouble is because it requires a little brain power to keep up.

I didn't say I don't like it, just that I don't watch it. Due to tie games and penalties for the puck travelling too far without being touched (like icing) just doesn't make sense to me. Completely turned me off the sport.

It's not the brainpower part, it's just a preferance not to have silly rules and dumb things like ties. Now that ties are no longer a part of the game, I'll probably give it another chance because that was the biggest thing that bugged me. Who wants to watch and cheer for 3 hours and have it wind up in a tie? That's no fun to me at all. :-P

Oh, and if you check around on the boards, I've always said hockey players are the toughest athletes of any of the major sports. They lose 3 teeth, get 17 stitches, and are right back out on the ice. None of the other sports players come close to doing anything like that. ;-D

Well said. I too have a couple war wounds from beer leagues ;-D

Are you a Stars Fan?
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:14 am

reznorsboy wrote:
Madison wrote:

Well said. I too have a couple war wounds from beer leagues ;-D

Are you a Stars Fan?

Stars? Ehhh, if I had to choose, I'd want them to win, but like I said, I really haven't watched in the past, so I don't have a favorite team. Also, I'm kind of torn since Hicks owns the Stars and Texas Rangers. He spends money on the Stars, but won't get my Rangers any pitching, so if the Stars stink, I do get to laugh at Hicks. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby stomperrob » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:49 am

I'm surprised my Flames opened their wallets after all the stars they've let go over the years because they were too cheap to re-sign them (Mullen, Roberts, Otto, Fleury, Vernon, Nieuwendyk, Hull, etc). They gave Iginla $21 million for 3 years and even grabbed a couple free agents.
The Flames owners used to be such tighta$$es, when they farted only dogs could hear it! :-D
Still holds the MLB record for Grand Slams with 23
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Football ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby go_jays_go » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:44 am

Thanks for the definition of icing Musky, I tried to explain..and I failed..Oh Well...

Mark my words, with Forsberg and company Philly will kill. That's not goodnews for the leafs :-°
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:14 am

Madison wrote:

Mad.......You share the opinion of many but I just wanted to clarify a few things. Icing is not a "penalty" per se. It was basically implemented to stop tired players from sending the puck down so that fresh players can come on the ice. It was also implemented to stop teams taking the easy way out if the other team is putting on some good pressure. IMHO, it's kinda weak to just let 1 team shoot it down the other end every time they are in any sort of danger. That would be too much like soccer or chess and nothing would ever happen. As for ties, I don't like them but any time that you have top defensive systems in place as well as great goaltenders with increasing equipment sizes, ties happen. Think about basketball. If every team had Manute Bol standing in front of the hoop at all times, there might be some ties there as well. :-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:07 am

Madison wrote:I didn't say I don't like it, just that I don't watch it. Due to tie games and penalties for the puck travelling too far without being touched (like icing) just doesn't make sense to me. Completely turned me off the sport.

It's not the brainpower part, it's just a preferance not to have silly rules and dumb things like ties.

Hey Mad, come over to the Hockey Cafe and try to explain the infield fly rule, when does pitchers get a save, when can a pitcher put his hand to his mouth, what is a balk etc. :-b

Hockey players are pretty simple. Put puck in net. Wearing different colour = hit it. Whistle blows = stop. Thats about it. Most hockey players don't care about icing except that it usually leads to a whistle.

I agree about the ties, but that's now a thing of the past. You should get out to a few Stars games, beautiful arena and great fans there (tons of hot chicks wearing Modano jerseys).
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:49 pm

Personally, if anything, I would like to see more overtime. Having a shootout to me is like settling a baseball game with a HR Derby or having QB's throw a football through a hanging tire. Maybe I'm a traditionalist but that's the way that I see it. They give them points for a tie anyway so it's not like the game means nothing.
Lofunzo

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk