Top 12 power hitters.......interesting numbers comparison - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top 12 power hitters.......interesting numbers comparison

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BigMusky » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:45 pm

There is alot of reading to catch up to speed here...but how hard would it be for someone passionate about this topic to find out how AROD performs in the 6th inning and later in games decided by 3 runs or less? We could argue that playing the redsox is pressure and etc, but that is too hard to quantify.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:51 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:
blankman wrote:
And Alex's .484 OBP Close and Late; thats flat out incredible. 8-o

I just love the way you blatantly use half hearted, incomplete stats to disguise the truth.

A-Rod with RISP in close and late games this year is hitting a paltry .222.

His OBP is .364 and his Slg is .333. That, is flat out incredible considering his overall numbers.

Can you provide a link to where I can find this type of information?

Also, against the main two division rivals, in games that are always must wins, A-Rod this season is hitting .233 against Baltimore with an OBP of .261 and has a .255 BA against the Red Sox.

Always must-win games? You mean the same Baltimore Orioles who are 11 games out of first place, currently 4.5 behind Toronto?Those amazing division rivals?

And the Red Sox? The same Red Sox who went 11-8 vs. the Yankees during regular season play last season? And STILL lost the division to the Yankees?

Yeah, those games are freakin' pressure cookers... ;-7
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:54 pm

Also, the Yankees are 8-6 vs. Boston this season, and still 4.5 games out of first.

Who wins more does not have direct bearing on who leads the divison.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby NZF » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:09 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Can you provide a link to where I can find this type of information?

MLB.COM

Also, against the main two division rivals, in games that are always must wins, A-Rod this season is hitting .233 against Baltimore with an OBP of .261 and has a .255 BA against the Red Sox.

Always must-win games? You mean the same Baltimore Orioles who are 11 games out of first place, currently 4.5 behind Toronto?Those amazing division rivals?

And the Red Sox? The same Red Sox who went 11-8 vs. the Yankees during regular season play last season? And STILL lost the division to the Yankees?

Yeah, those games are freakin' pressure cookers... ;-7

I'll give you a tip, if you gave some thought to your comments before you wrote and posted them, you wouldn't look so ignorant.

When the Yankees played the O's in 2 series in late June and early July, Baltimore were very much in contention in the division. They were pressure, must win games and A-Rod did very little. They haven't played each other since the O's downward spiral.

You really don't have any idea do you ?
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:13 pm

That was in June. The Orioles are now 11 back. They were not must-win games. For further proof, look at my Red Sox argument.

Red Sox vs. Yankees:

2004: Red Sox 11, Yankees 8

Yankees won the division.

2005: Yankees 8, Red Sox 6

Red Sox lead the division.

How are they must win games if the team that wins the most winds up being in 2nd place? Maybe it seems like there is more pressure, but in reality, a game against the Indians or Athletics is just as important as a game against the Orioles. It's whoever wins more collective games, not who beats their division rival the most.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby blankman » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:16 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:How are they must win games if the team that wins the most winds up being in 2nd place? Maybe it seems like there is more pressure, but in reality, a game against the Indians or Athletics is just as important as a game against the Orioles. It's whoever wins more collective games, not who beats their division rival the most.

Exactly.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:17 pm

Why does every thread have to be about the Yankees?

I was interested in the initial topic (top hitters hitting better with men on base) but now the hijack has gotten stupid.

Can't we have a discussion without all of the Yankee navel gazing?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:21 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Why does every thread have to be about the Yankees?

I was interested in the initial topic (top hitters hitting better with men on base) but now the hijack has gotten stupid.

Exactly ;-D

And a question for you Mookie: how long till you go back to your original avartar?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:22 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Why does every thread have to be about the Yankees?

Mook, I apologize but NZF started this thread to show that A-Rod is bad with RISP. That's why on the first page he wrote "with the notable exception of one, everyone hits better with RISP."

If you were part of the "HOLY A-ROD BATMAN!!!" thread, you know exactly why he started it.

Again, I apologize that it turned into something that you aren't happy with, but you have to realize that NZF started this thread in order for this conversation to take place, which is largely why he hasn't objected to what this thread has turned into.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:24 pm

I even tried to change the subject ..

To no avail ..

Oh well ..Maybe its time to "Agree to disagree"
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero