Manuel Says HR Derby Messed Up Abreu - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Manuel Says HR Derby Messed Up Abreu

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby NZF » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:01 pm

A feeble excuse IMO.

Abreu had been very quiet leading up to the All Star break as well. He had only 2 HR's in his previous 100 AB's.

Leading up to that point he had hit 14 HR's in 6 weeks including 11 in 17 days 8-o

He will go on a tear very shortly so grab him before the trade deadline ends off a frustrated owner.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:03 pm

RyanK wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I have trouble believing that a hitter of Abreu's quality could go into a slump because he adjusted his swing during the HR derby. Maybe but it's sounds pretty far-fetched.

What I think is more likely is that we are just seeing a bit of natural (maybe expected) regression.

Didnt it use to happen to Griffey?

Griffey's .313 lifetime average in July is by far his best. Plus, his post ASB numbers are generally better than pre (fewer ABs however, due to injuries). I don't think the HR derby had much of an affect on him. If anything, it helped.

I don't think Abreu's swing has changed due to the HR derby. You don't play baseball for nearly your entire life and not be able to find your swing after a 2 hour event one night....sure, people get in slumps and lose their swings, but I don't think it's due to the derby. It is probably just a coincidence.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby jimmyvegas » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:01 pm

Whatever the case, he's primed to break out any day now. Two hits last night against an otherwise highly effective Zambrano is a good start...im sure alot of other owners need him to heat up soon
jimmyvegas
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers