Anything more annoying than ignored trade offers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anything more annoying than ignored trade offers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby theskaboss » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:47 am

Whats more annoying for me is when i want a player but hes on a dead team.... :~( :~( :-t :-t
theskaboss
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fantasy Guru » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:50 am

theskaboss wrote:Whats more annoying for me is when i want a player but hes on a dead team.... :~( :~( :-t :-t

One dead team has: Clemens, Carpenter, Hudson, Beuhrle, Clement, Harden

..needless to say, pitching is tough to come by in this league.
ImageYeah.. this "fantasy guru" thing is just a user name, folks.
Fantasy Guru
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wshnats20 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:55 am

another thing that really annoys me is when i send someone a legitamate trade proposal, a pretty fair offer and the other manager counters with a "EDITED FOR LANGUAGE" offer and acts like the trade offered was completly unbalanced
wshnats20
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Pedantic » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:05 am

Fantasy owners can be a funny bunch. So what if the offer is bad? An offer is a beginning, not an end. Are fantasy owners as a whole so sensitive that they can't take a little hardball? They're just words. But of course we can't let such a vicious attack on our precious male egos go unpunished, so we ignore the offers. Oh, wait, except in our pride-induced hissy fit, we forget that we're only hurting ourselves. Whoops. At least we get a free pass on being because we're big, bad men.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Sultans of Squat » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:54 am

Pedantic wrote:Fantasy owners can be a funny bunch. So what if the offer is bad? An offer is a beginning, not an end. Are fantasy owners as a whole so sensitive that they can't take a little hardball? They're just words. But of course we can't let such a vicious attack on our precious male egos go unpunished, so we ignore the offers. Oh, wait, except in our pride-induced hissy fit, we forget that we're only hurting ourselves. Whoops. At least we get a free pass on being assholes because we're big, bad men.

LOL! I have to agree w/ this.

And don't forget that you can have legitimate reasons for valuing players in a trade/offer differently than others, especially if the league setup is non-standard and/or quite different than what the various owners are used to. Just the other day there was one long thread debating about youth vs proven veterans in keeper leagues. If you're on opposite sides of that debate, you'll probably look at offers very differently. But even then, that does not mean you cannot eventually negotiate a workable deal, particularly one where both sides feel like they got the better end of it.

To me, the only time lopsided offers are truly annoying is when the other owner obviously makes zero attempt at making reasonable offers over and over again despite whatever feedback I give him. And to date, I've only encountered one owner like that -- and he's a regular in the non-keeper league I play every year, and because of the way he plays, he has never made a single trade w/ anyone else in the league. Funny thing is I almost managed to make a useful trade w/ him this year where he thought my offer was too good to be true -- and I felt like the whole thing was a challenge that would finally yield some personal satisfaction all on its own :D -- but for some reason, he suddenly became inactive, so I ended up canceling to make some other move instead of waiting forever.

Oh, the other thing that can be rather annoying is people who'd rather use the public message board to air out their displeasures about trade offers (or lack thereof) than actually make any real attempts at trading. ;-7
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 10)

Re: Anything more annoying than ignored trade offers?

Postby The Jury » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:04 am

Doughhead wrote:What do you do when you make a legitimate trade proposal and it just sits there? Is this not the height of fantasy rudeness? :-o

Yes, there is something more annoying that ignored trade offered:

Viewed trade offered that are just left to sit there by the receiving manager, deciding to keep that option available for when he feels like it or when his player gets injured.

A guy in my league does this, eventually I have to just cancel my offer.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:31 am

I do not see why people get upset about it. It happens all the time with non-interested or semi-interested owner.

It also happens a lot from people like me who if someone repeatedly makes me idiotic offers, I will simply leave them out there to rot in an attempt to annoy in retaliation for that owner having wasted my time once too often.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Matthias » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:21 pm

i agree with yanks. not answering a trade proposal is innoccous; as long as it's not in the middle of a trade negotiation. i get ticked at stupid trade proposals... someone hoping that you're entirely out to lunch or just going to hit the wrong button or what not. and it is different if you've been sending proposals back and forth.

but if you just send someone an offer out of the blue... they have no responsibility to you to reply or counter-offer or well... do anything. you don't like it hanging out there? withdraw it. bfd.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:25 pm

my least favorite thing is when I get a low balled offer that comes attached with it a 3 page document stating why it is a good trade for me...... i hate stuff like that with a passion and even if i like the trade will always turn it down,,,,, just for the other owner thinking that i was a idiot......

as far as leaving offers out there,,, i have done it in the past for 2 different reasons,,,,, i was tired of his low ball offers to me--- so i just decided to quit hitting decline.... i also would leave it out there if a guy in the trade offer was also involved in another trade offer with another owner.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby discodv05 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:48 pm

nope nothing more anoying at all
----------------------------------------
They call me shakezoolla, the mic rula, the old schoola, if you want a drink, ill bring it to ya!

Bonds did it with roids and Ruth did it with hot dogs and beer!
Disco
discodv05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers