Explain this. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Explain this.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Rkiivs » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:36 pm

The way I see it Kenny physically hurt another person while Raffy only hurt himself. So, yeah, Kenny got the higher penalty. If Raffy gets burned again though it'll be a different story.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby garf112 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:21 pm

I believe the original post posed the question: Why is a team allowed to add a player to its roster when someone tests positive for steroids, while a team that has a player suspended for other reasons must go with a 24 man roster?

Don't know the answer... just wanted to get the thread back on topic.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby ZAZ » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:17 pm

I'd like someone to explain how the Player's Union fought for years to allow players to use illegal drugs w/o punishment. However, they regularly allow for contracts that let the team walk away from a player if he hurts himself playing basketball or riding a motorcycle or something like that. I guess Donald Fehr considers a player's rights to break the law much higher than the player's rights to physical activity in the off season. How ironic and sick is that?
ZAZ
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tokugawa » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:00 am

garf112 wrote:I believe the original post posed the question: Why is a team allowed to add a player to its roster when someone tests positive for steroids, while a team that has a player suspended for other reasons must go with a 24 man roster?

Thanks.

The question wasn't about the length of punishment, but just about the whole steroid testing regime in general, that really doesn't seem to punish either players or teams all that harshly.

Regarding the punsihments, however the difference between assault and steroid taking is that steroid taking is a form of cheating. By analogy to the business world someone who commits assault may simply have to pay a fine and be reprimanded by the company, in most cases they wont be fired, but insider trading, a form of corporate cheating, is punished far more harshly, with a definate sacking and often criminal sanctions.

Slightly odd analogy but perhaps you see the point.
Tokugawa
College Coach
College Coach

Postby theclefe » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:59 am

Tokugawa wrote:
garf112 wrote:I believe the original post posed the question: Why is a team allowed to add a player to its roster when someone tests positive for steroids, while a team that has a player suspended for other reasons must go with a 24 man roster?

I think it is just a blacket policy for steroid punishment, as ffurther offenses incur longer punishments. You can't expect an MLB team to play a full year a player short.

With other supensions, the guidelines are arbitrary so Selig could allow teams the ability to replace a player. Short of an Artest incident, I doubt the suspensions handed out would be long enough to make a team uncompetitive.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby rotterdam_82 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:17 pm

theclefe wrote:
Tokugawa wrote:

I think it is just a blacket policy for steroid punishment, as ffurther offenses incur longer punishments. You can't expect an MLB team to play a full year a player short.

But it's not a full year is it, it's a paltry 10 games.
Rate my team, leave me a link!
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers