??Can someone explain how Adam Dunn has value?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

??Can someone explain how Adam Dunn has value??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

??Can someone explain how Adam Dunn has value??

Postby wrveres » Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:55 am

Yes thats right, Mr Dunn is dunn for '03. :-P

This is Adam Dunn's career stat's.
. AB .. R .. H . 2B HR RBI ..BB .. K .SB CS .AVG OBP SLG
980 179 238 50 65 157 203 321 27 13 .243 .379 .499

Now at first glance you say, not all that bad. That is alot of power. I can handle a .243 BA. Hell, it's Adam fricking Dunn. He just mashes the ball. It will hurt, but it will be ok. But understand that this .243 BA is held up by a .300 BA before the allstar break in 2002. Amazingly, he hit .190 after the break. Now how good does he look?

Hang on, lets dig some more ....

Since 2002 BA.
July .253
August .160 (106 ab)
September .179 (84 ab)
March .224 (spring training 67 ab) (I'll Toss out the 0-4 he went opening day, March 31st.
April 2003 .253 (hope?)
May .193 (nope)
June .129 (OMG)

Well He must have a good OBP. I mean Papa Boone bats him leadoff, Right?
Since 2002 OBP
August .305
September .310
March (can't find)
April 2003 .382 (Hope?)
May .274 (nope)
June .372 (Hope? .Don't count on it)

After last year, I made a vow. No way I carry this guy next season.
It's kinda like, At what price homeruns and Rbi's? The way I figure, all of my roster spots are valuable. Offensively, absolutly nobody should "hurt" me in any categories. You would have to have another batter on your team hit .400 just to compensate for the "Damage" he does to your BA.

So, in 5x5. He helps in HRs, Rbi's. (thats a given) He doesn't really steal. Only four this year. That is 1 every three weeks so far this season. Run's? Oh yeah, almost forgot, lets look.

Since 2002 Runs
August .. 14
September .. 7
April 2003 .. 20 (hope?)
May .. 12 (nope)
June .. 9

So by my math. He helps in 2 categories, and he doesn't steal.
He scores an occasional run, "outside of plateing himself". And then proceeds to destroys your BA.
That is a 1.5 category player in my book. Andy Fox is also a 1.5 category player. Hmmmm. How many of you have Andy Fox on your rosters?

So I ask you,
Can someone please explain how Adam Dunn has any value???
Last edited by wrveres on Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 761)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:03 am

He has no value to me either.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby LetsPlay2 » Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:22 am

He still has a lot of value depending on your roster, especially in an NL only league. If I didn't have his HRs, I'd lose about 3-4 spots so far (not that it will play out that way after the full season) and I have enough good batting average guys to be 3rd in that category even with his low average.

Bottom line is when he hits it, he produces in 3 categories. When he doesn't, he drags down 1. If we can just get him to hit it more often and get Boone to move him from leadoff.

I know it's just the frustration talking.
LetsPlay2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Longshot » Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:32 am

hes the rip hamilton of fantasy baseball. Tons of potential but doesnt do the little things you need for him to be good for your team.

Rip Hamilton consistantly puts up 20, 3, 2, .430 - for anyone who knows fantasy bball, the man can be spectacular but his shot selection sucks and he doesnt even attempt to grab rebounds or make a good pass. Just like Adam Dunn swinging at every pitch and not taking enough to get favorable counts. They both could be great but they dont allow it to happen because they have no patience and go for all the glory (HRs, Points scored)
Hank Blalock is The Truth
Longshot
College Coach
College Coach

Postby quickfingerz » Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:34 am

But it's the effect of the NEGATIVE STAT...

in runs, hrs, rbis, sb you can just have no one in there and you just get a 0.

but having a guy that bats soo low can take you down a whole lot
let's say your offense consists of 10 players. Dunn is one of them. Outside of Dunn, your team bats .285 and in your 12 team league you'd be in first. Add Dunn and your average dips to .276. Then it depends on how much that decrease hurts your team. In some leagues that's the difference between 12 points and 2 points.
The key to Fantasy Sports is NOT about Sports but rather the "manipulation of numbers" in your favor

MASTER THOSE NUMBERS
quickfingerz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Longshot » Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:38 am

once again, just like low fg% and high TOs kill you in fantasy bball. Theyre very similar, im telling you
Hank Blalock is The Truth
Longshot
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DEF » Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:31 am

Longshot wrote:hes the rip hamilton of fantasy baseball. Tons of potential but doesnt do the little things you need for him to be good for your team.

Rip Hamilton consistantly puts up 20, 3, 2, .430 - for anyone who knows fantasy bball, the man can be spectacular but his shot selection sucks and he doesnt even attempt to grab rebounds or make a good pass. Just like Adam Dunn swinging at every pitch and not taking enough to get favorable counts. They both could be great but they dont allow it to happen because they have no patience and go for all the glory (HRs, Points scored)

I've got to disagree with this assessment of Dunn. I'm not saying he doesn't strike out way too much or that his average isn't horrible, but a lack of patience isn't the reason behind it. Just take a look at his walk totals - 37 in just 61 games this year and 128 last year. His on-base percentage and OPS are actually pretty good despite his low average. Hell, he had a .400 on-base while hitting leadoff. He gets plenty of favorable counts, but because of his power pitchers often won't give him a good pitch to hit even when their behind in the count and he's disciplined enough not to chase bad pitches when he can draw a walk instead.

Dunn can be a very valuable fantasy player, it all depends on the format of the league and the makeup of the rest of your roster. I have him in a 12-team head-to-head league with 10 offensive categories. He's a big help in HR, RBI, TB, OPS, chips in some in R, 2B, SB, H, is a non-factor in 3B and hurts in average. Overall, he's definitely helped way more than hurt so far because he contributes in so many categories and is a negative in just one, though he'd be a lot less valuable in a traditional 5x5 where his average would have a much bigger effect.
DEF

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby trippinonreality » Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:26 am

I play in a 12 team 10X10 league and even though BA is only one category he still sucks. I'm lucky I was able to pawn him off on some sucker who was in love with his homers. I think he was taken in the 10-12th round of our league and to be honest that was wayyyyy too high. I want players that help me in cats and don't hurt me in cats this guy helps in a couple things and kills you in a couple things. Last two weeks I hit .330+ with him in my lineup I just unloaded his dead weight and had him benched earlier this week and am batting .371 so far. Even if the guy could bat .250 (which would be the lowest on my team by 35 points) I'd have kept him but .200 is inexcusible.
trippinonreality
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LetsPlay2 » Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:30 am

All I'm saying is if you're in a league with 14 offensive players where HR,R,RBI,St,Ave are the only 5 categories & your average is in the top 3 even with Dunn, he can be the difference between 1 point in 3 different categories if you put say a Randall Simon type in his place. I'll take the +3 points for the -1 in average anytime. Obviously if the difference between carrying a .276 as opposed to .279 in your league means 3 or more points, then you may want to trade him. It all depends on your league, competitors, and the rest of your team.
LetsPlay2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby trevisc » Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:11 am

Look at it this way. If you have a guy like Dunn and a guy like Ichiro on the same team then you have a great combo. He only has value if you have other high average hitters to balance it out.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers