Do AL Teams HAVE to use the DH? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Do AL Teams HAVE to use the DH?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jskidder » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:52 pm

jskidder wrote:
swityak11 wrote:
I also him bring in a RH pitcher to face a RH batter, and he got the guy out. He then moved the pitcher to LF, brought in a LHP to face a LH hitter, he got the guy out, then he brought the orignal RHP back from LF to finish the inning. It was hilarious
That rules.

the mets did this a few times back in the mid 80's as well. i wish i could remember the guys they used when they did it...

got it. mcdowell and orosco.
jskidder
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:07 pm

I know that it was Jeff Nelson that they put out in LF for one batter, and it was sometime in 1993...
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Kingctb27 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:18 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:I also him bring in a RH pitcher to face a RH batter, and he got the guy out. He then moved the pitcher to LF, brought in a LHP to face a LH hitter, he got the guy out, then he brought the orignal RHP back from LF to finish the inning. It was hilarious. No one knew what the hell was going on. I don't think they lost the DH in that game though, just the guy in LF.

That would be fun to watch.
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby The Jury » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:39 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
bleach168 wrote:
KolbSaves wrote:
swityak11 wrote:
I also him bring in a RH pitcher to face a RH batter, and he got the guy out. He then moved the pitcher to LF, brought in a LHP to face a LH hitter, he got the guy out, then he brought the orignal RHP back from LF to finish the inning. It was hilarious
That rules.

Definitely.

Brilliant!

It was seriously awesome. The fans, the commentators, everyone was in shock. No one had any idea what was happening and why the pitcher was going out to play the OF. It would have gotten really interesting if the batter had hit a ball out to the pitcher...

An outfield assist would have occurred if a runner tagged up from 3rd :-D
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:49 pm

Ok, I found the box score (assist to Tavish for hooking me up with the link to the site I needed).

July 15, 1993 was the date and Jeff Nelson recorded four outs, but Dennis Powell recorded one out in there somewhere. Nelson went from pitcher, to LF, back to pitcher. The link to the boxscore is below, and it's funny to look at. I can't recall exactly how the order of outs went, and the box score doesn't help because they only list the pitchers once down below in the pitching summary, but anyway... For your enjoyment.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B07150BOS1993.htm
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby jskidder » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:27 am

in the mets game i was referring to, jesse orosco actually recorded an out in rf in 1986 while mcdowell was pitching.
jskidder
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers