Do AL Teams HAVE to use the DH? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Do AL Teams HAVE to use the DH?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Do AL Teams HAVE to use the DH?

Postby Doughhead » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:18 pm

...or can a pitcher hit for himself if he wants to?
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:20 pm

I'm pretty sure any player on the team can be put into the DH slot. The pitcher can hit, but he hits as the DH. At least I think. :-?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:41 pm

I'm not sure about this. But watching Lou manage all those years in Seattle I saw some fun things...

Like him taking the DH and putting him onto the field, so you lose the DH and the player that was replaced on defense by the guy that was the DH is replaced in the lineup by the pitcher.

I also him bring in a RH pitcher to face a RH batter, and he got the guy out. He then moved the pitcher to LF, brought in a LHP to face a LH hitter, he got the guy out, then he brought the orignal RHP back from LF to finish the inning. It was hilarious. No one knew what the hell was going on. I don't think they lost the DH in that game though, just the guy in LF.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby swityak11 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:44 pm

I also him bring in a RH pitcher to face a RH batter, and he got the guy out. He then moved the pitcher to LF, brought in a LHP to face a LH hitter, he got the guy out, then he brought the orignal RHP back from LF to finish the inning. It was hilarious
That rules.
swityak11
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:18 pm

You do not have to use the DH. In fact, if you start the game with a DH and then put the DH in the field your pitcher MUST bat for the rest of the game (got that little tidbit from the All Star game this year).
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby KolbSaves » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:23 pm

swityak11 wrote:
I also him bring in a RH pitcher to face a RH batter, and he got the guy out. He then moved the pitcher to LF, brought in a LHP to face a LH hitter, he got the guy out, then he brought the orignal RHP back from LF to finish the inning. It was hilarious
That rules.

Definitely.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bleach168 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:37 pm

KolbSaves wrote:
swityak11 wrote:
That rules.

Definitely.

Brilliant!
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:40 pm

bleach168 wrote:
KolbSaves wrote:
swityak11 wrote:
That rules.

Definitely.

Brilliant!

It was seriously awesome. The fans, the commentators, everyone was in shock. No one had any idea what was happening and why the pitcher was going out to play the OF. It would have gotten really interesting if the batter had hit a ball out to the pitcher...
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby jskidder » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:49 pm

swityak11 wrote:
That rules.

the mets did this a few times back in the mid 80's as well. i wish i could remember the guys they used when they did it...
jskidder
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby curious_george_43545 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:49 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
bleach168 wrote:
KolbSaves wrote:
swityak11 wrote:
That rules.

Definitely.

Brilliant!

It was seriously awesome. The fans, the commentators, everyone was in shock. No one had any idea what was happening and why the pitcher was going out to play the OF. It would have gotten really interesting if the batter had hit a ball out to the pitcher...
:-D
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers