Randy Winn or Eric Byrnes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Randy Winn or Eric Byrnes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Randy Winn or Eric Byrnes

Postby Leiter Fan » Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:37 am

Which of the above two players is a better fit for my team? I presently have Randy Winn but its starting to bug me that two of my outfielders (Winn and Pierre) have a total of 2 homers!!! Pierre is obviously invaluable for the SB's alone, but I'm wondering if Byrnes might be a better fit for me than Winn (he can steal a base and has more than double Winn's homers). However, I haven't seen much of Byrnes and he's unproven. Any thoughts? This is my roster:

C: LoDuca (Piazza on the DL)
1B: Wilkerson
2B: Vidro
SS: Renteria
3B: Glaus
OF: Pierre, Winn, Giles, Burrell
Util: Edgar Martinez

SP: Zito, Oswalt, Willis, Lohse, Kim, Santana, Clement, Webb
RP: Guardado, Julio, Looper
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DGroundhog » Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:04 am

Why not? Byrnes strength isn't power, but he hustles. Byrnes has been with the A's for the better part of a couple seasons now, but never got many AB's. In the off-season, Byrnes would play winter ball, or instructional league ball, any organized league he could get some AB's in to keep his swing sharp. He also has a good personal workout routine.

Byrnes is a guy who looked at himself and his MLB future and decided to completely pour himself into the game to give himself the best possible chance to play OF with the A's. The A's have taken notice, and Byrnes has responded. Some were writing him off after his average fell from .350 and Dye came back, but he continues to start. In a recent double header, Byrnes Chavez and Tejada were the only palyers to start both games. That is how important the A's view Byrnes in their line-up.

He will be more of a steal threat than a HR threat, but he does have some power. He should hit .300

He is a tall kid, who looks like he could add some muscle in the next couple of years. I rarely have him in my line-up, but he hasn't stopped producing yet.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Leiter Fan » Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:21 pm

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby gbrett » Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:23 pm

I like Winn...he was an All-Star last year, albeit with the Devil Rays, but his steal potential is enormous, plus he hits for a great average and has low strikeouts. He plays nightly and with teh way the Mariners have been slugging the ball recently, I think he's the better bet.
gbrett
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby crazybob60 » Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:40 pm

I would go with Byrnes, he has way more potential that Winn in my opinion and has more power than Winn also.
crazybob60
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CaptainJenks » Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:15 pm

your not going to get much power from brynes or winn. i like winn. brynes is just a fluke. i doubt he can put up those numbers for long
;-D
F Jackie!!
CaptainJenks
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby T Long » Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:25 pm

Randy Winn no question

he is an all around player he will help u in almost every catagory and he already has proven himself to go along with that.

byrnes is having a good season so far but u really don't know anything about him he has not been and everyday starter and he will not produce like he has been

go with winn
T Long

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

byrnes

Postby fb gd » Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:49 pm

its a simple question. And it doesnt even deserve this much effort, but just look at the facts. The move to Seattle for Winn has just added to his steals. Thats it. Winn is nothing more but a Juan Pierre who doesnt even hit at the top of the order ahead of boone. When you look at Eric Byrnes, he gives you SBs of course, average, and an occasional homerun. And where is he hitting? LEADOFF for the A's. And what kind of a team are the A's? SECOND-HALF?
you want sbs, sure keep winn. you want hrs, average, sbs, and oh so many runs batting in front of tejada, chavez, and durazo. The Oakland offense will explode in a few short weeks. Dont make the mistake of choosing Winn over Byrnes.
fb gd

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:08 pm

byrnes will not keep doing what he is doing there is no question in that he is hot he will go ice cold very soon

Postby DGroundhog » Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:41 am

They were doing a little piece on Byrnes today before the A's game. He has quickly become a fan favorite here.

Playing winter ball he earned the nickname 'Captain America'. The kid is a player. I'd take him over Winn. I've been hearing for weeks he doesn't play everyday and he will go cold. Hasn't happened yet. What makes Randy Winn immune from going cold? Captain America is still in the line-up everyday, and still producing in 5 categories.

Doesn't seem like much of a decision.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers