help out a first time sig maker - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Fantasy Logo & Avatar Requests

help out a first time sig maker

Moderators: deluxe_247, kimchi_chigae, Mookie4ever, Baseball Moderators

help out a first time sig maker

Postby bucsfan04 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:43 am

I'm using the Gimp and am trying to import a picture from a google image search onto my sig background. Below is the picture:

Is there any way to take out the background of that photo so that only the body shows up on my black sig background? Thanks.
bucsfan04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The_Met_Threat » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:33 am

Hi i use photoshop cs, but i think gimp is pretty much the same so there are two basic ways. The first way is the magic wand tool which outlines a section that has almost the same colour depending on the featherning, you click this button a few times while holding shift. You either try to outline the background or the picture you want. I only use this option if the background is a solid colour already. The next way is the polygonal lasso tool. This is the main way, pretty much you just start off at a point lets say jason bays helmet, and you pretty much connect the dots around his body, bat, etc. and back to his helmet. Once youve done this just press ctrl+c and then ctrl+v on to the background you want. I dunno if this is the same for gimp, maybe someone will post somehting explaining how to do it on gimp. sorry thats all i could help you with.
Last edited by The_Met_Threat on Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bucsfan04 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:08 pm

Thanks a lot for the help, Photshop is a lot like gimp. Worked fine for me.
bucsfan04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby LooseCannon » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:36 pm

The_Met_Threat wrote:Hi i use photoshop cs, but i think gimp is pretty much the same so there are two basic ways. The first way is the magic wang tool which outlines a section that has almost the same colour depending on the featherning, you click this button a few times while holding shift. You either try to outline the background or the picture you want. I only use this option if the background is a solid colour already. The next way is the polygonal lasso tool. This is the main way, pretty much you just start off at a point lets say jason bays helmet, and you pretty much connect the dots around his body, bat, etc. and back to his helmet. Once youve done this just press ctrl+c and then ctrl+v on to the background you want. I dunno if this is the same for gimp, maybe someone will post somehting explaining how to do it on gimp. sorry thats all i could help you with.

Damn that's the best typo I've seen in like a long time.....oh and BucsFan I'd be interested in seeing your work.

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bucsfan04 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:55 pm

Made my first sig, check it out below.
bucsfan04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby Mustangs989 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:02 pm

Just a hint, when cutting the players out make sure to zoom in.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby RyanK » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:19 pm

also use the eraser to fine tune around the player
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby The_Met_Threat » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:20 pm

Also you can get away with a lazy job when you use blending options like inner glow or drop shadow.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The_Met_Threat » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:21 pm

ok sorry i meant magic wand. AND please i repeat please do not use the magic wang tool. 8-o :-D
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bucsfan04 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:04 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys, just made another sig which i like better than the first one.

When i hosted it through imageshack.us the letters became fuzzy. Anybody know why this is?
bucsfan04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Next

Return to Fantasy Logo & Avatar Requests