A look back at the top 40. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A look back at the top 40.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby stumpak » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:08 pm

An injury IS a bust. Anything that causes performance below expectation has to be considered when talking about busts.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:13 pm

I tend to agree that Sheets is not a bust. There is still 2 solid months of baseball left and he's just warming up. Take a look at his last 7 or 8 starts. ;-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:29 pm

Looking back at my own draft, I had pretty good luck:

Round 1: Vladimir Guerrero
Round 2: Gary Sheffield
Round 3: Mark Teixiera
Round 4: Nomar Garciaparra ( !+) )
Round 5: Aramis Ramirez
Round 6: Roger Clemens
Round 7: AJ Burnett
Round 8: Jeff Kent
Round 9: Jorge Posada
Round 10: Johnny Damon

Only one huge bust out of the first 10 rounds. I guess I did a fairly good job of evaluating who not to trust (Bonds, Beltre, Beltran, etc.)
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:36 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Looking back at my own draft, I had pretty good luck:

Only one huge bust out of the first 10 rounds. I guess I did a fairly good job of evaluating who not to trust (Bonds, Beltre, Beltran, etc.)

People still considering Beltre a bust at 3B this year? If you were expecting another 40+ HR season or took him extremely early, maybe, but I'm happy with his performance given where I got him. He had a very good July with 6 HR, 17 RBI, and bat .321 in June... he hasn't been half bad. But, like I said, if you took him real early, I guess so...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 377)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:41 pm

bigh0rt wrote:

People still considering Beltre a bust at 3B this year? If you were expecting another 40+ HR season or took him extremely early, maybe, but I'm happy with his performance given where I got him. He had a very good July with 6 HR, 17 RBI, and bat .321 in June... he hasn't been half bad. But, like I said, if you took him real early, I guess so...

Well Beltre was highly touted in my league, and wound up going mid-2nd round of a 10 team league. I didn't expect more than somewhere around 20-25 homeruns and 85 RBIs. Hardly worth a pick in the top 5 rounds, which is where I saw him go.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:50 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

Well Beltre was highly touted in my league, and wound up going mid-2nd round of a 10 team league. I didn't expect more than somewhere around 20-25 homeruns and 85 RBIs. Hardly worth a pick in the top 5 rounds, which is where I saw him go.

Exactly. He was a 2nd rounder in most drafts and one of 6 players I kept. If I can go back in time, I'd replace him with Blalock. That was a dumb move on my part. I let too many people here at the cafe influence me on that decision. !+)
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:41 pm

Yoda wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

Exactly. He was a 2nd rounder in most drafts and one of 6 players I kept. If I can go back in time, I'd replace him with Blalock. That was a dumb move on my part. I let too many people here at the cafe influence me on that decision. !+)

Ouch, well, that explains it. The general concensus in my league was that with him changing leagues (no, not because he simply decided to play well in his contract year and then put it on cruise), that for the first half at least of this year, he'd struggle mightily; so he slipped really far. I wound up drafting him in like Round 10, after I already had Eric Chavez on my roster, simply because he was too good to pass up there. So, I guess if I spent a 2nd Round Pick on him, yeah, I'd be pissed. :-b
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 377)

Postby superfly » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:29 pm

Sheets not a bust (if you want to count injury as a bust then Vlad would be a bust too). Edmonds bust. Crawford mild bust. Rolen huge bust. Pierre mild bust. Chavez mild bust. Blalock and Damon bust if they were taken that high.
superfly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers