Why Are the Bases Run Counterclockwise? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why Are the Bases Run Counterclockwise?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rotterdam_82 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:41 am

RynMan wrote:I hate cricket, and as an Australian I could possibly be crucified for that comment. I dont feel it has half of the strategic brilliance that baseball does.

And as an Englishman I totaly agree with you. (unless we win the Ashes ;-D )
Rate my team, leave me a link!
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Jury » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:15 am

warrick95 wrote:
Rirruto wrote:Funny you ask that, Ichiro was asked by former teamate, Brett Boone, "What if 1st base was where 3rd base was?" Ichiro said he would retire if that ever happened since he perfected his swing and and his sprint to 1st base so he didn't waste one single step.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/ ... hiro&num=1
good read

Ichiro bats left-handed because he's a natural slapper (moreso than righthanders who bat left-handed because that swing uses the right arm more for power)...so he slaps the ball the opposite way. He's a righty, since he throws righty. If the bases were the other way around, Ichiro would've probably come up batting righty instead...which would likely be even more natural for him. Running out of the box while slapping it to the right from the right side would be the same idea. That is, since batting right-handed for a natural righty would give him more control over the bat, while batting left-handed for a natural righty would give him more power.

In college softball, a scary amount of righties are lefty slappers. That is the way that game is played...and how Ichiro plays baseball. Of course, the slap is basically going the other way with the ball while running out of the box. In baseball, Ichiro actually has to poke it through the infield a lot, while a nice, lengthy, high bounce will result in a hit in softball for fast runners.

Really interesting question, though, whatever the answer is. Tavish's response seems very reasonable.

I'm a righty and I bat right.. I can't see myself hitting with more power batting left instead. I've tried switch hitting on occasion...

I understand that Abreu bats left and his left hand is very loose on the bat, meaning that the right hand does most of the pulling work which would favour right handers... but I can't see myself hitting with more power if I switch.. :-?
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Chicago RedSox » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:18 am

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:
gws226 wrote:It was yet another attempt by america to prove to the world that the steering wheel should be on the left, you should drive on the right side of the road, and that you should always run the opposite way you hang ;-D

Actually, the only countries that drive on the "wrong" side of the road are those that were English colonies at one point in the past. Europe etc. picked the same side America used to prevent English automobile manufacturers from sellijng their cars in Europe due to the dominance of the English automobile.

As for the bases, I hadn't thought about it before, but as I also cannot think of any LH throwing IF (outside of 1B), and as a majority of people are RH, that theory makes the most sense to me.

My history teacher told me Henry Ford invented the automobile, so as far as I'm concerned there is no debate as to the right or wrong side of the road. Within 10 years the brits will be driving on the right side of the road and paying for their finger sandwiches with Euros.

A cricket ball may be tough to hit, but the bat is huge, there are no foul balls, and the fielders don't wear gloves. It can't be all that bad.
Play Ball
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mamorris » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:10 pm

rotterdam_82 wrote:
RynMan wrote:I hate cricket, and as an Australian I could possibly be crucified for that comment. I dont feel it has half of the strategic brilliance that baseball does.

And as an Englishman I totaly agree with you. (unless we win the Ashes ;-D )

In other words, you totally agree. ;)

And RynMan, this isn't an insult, but I'm guessing you haven't played cricket if you don't think there's strategic brilliance involved.

My history teacher told me Henry Ford invented the automobile, so as far as I'm concerned there is no debate as to the right or wrong side of the road. Within 10 years the brits will be driving on the right side of the road and paying for their finger sandwiches with Euros.

Karl Benz invented the automobile, if I recall correctly. Henry Ford created the mass-production line for automobiles. Besides which, the side of the road on which you drive goes back to the horse-and-cart days.

Err... and that's why they go around the bases anti-clockwise! :)
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby warrick95 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:30 pm

The Jury wrote:
warrick95 wrote:
Rirruto wrote:Funny you ask that, Ichiro was asked by former teamate, Brett Boone, "What if 1st base was where 3rd base was?" Ichiro said he would retire if that ever happened since he perfected his swing and and his sprint to 1st base so he didn't waste one single step.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/ ... hiro&num=1
good read

Ichiro bats left-handed because he's a natural slapper (moreso than righthanders who bat left-handed because that swing uses the right arm more for power)...so he slaps the ball the opposite way. He's a righty, since he throws righty. If the bases were the other way around, Ichiro would've probably come up batting righty instead...which would likely be even more natural for him. Running out of the box while slapping it to the right from the right side would be the same idea. That is, since batting right-handed for a natural righty would give him more control over the bat, while batting left-handed for a natural righty would give him more power.

In college softball, a scary amount of righties are lefty slappers. That is the way that game is played...and how Ichiro plays baseball. Of course, the slap is basically going the other way with the ball while running out of the box. In baseball, Ichiro actually has to poke it through the infield a lot, while a nice, lengthy, high bounce will result in a hit in softball for fast runners.

Really interesting question, though, whatever the answer is. Tavish's response seems very reasonable.

I'm a righty and I bat right.. I can't see myself hitting with more power batting left instead. I've tried switch hitting on occasion...

I understand that Abreu bats left and his left hand is very loose on the bat, meaning that the right hand does most of the pulling work which would favour right handers... but I can't see myself hitting with more power if I switch.. :-?

It may be a myth, but that is what many people seem to be saying now. THat is because the arm closer to the plate will be the one that generates more power in a swing. Assuming you are a righty (most of who's right arms are stronger), that arm will be used more in a lefty swing. Being able to better pull the ball helps somewhat, too, I suppose.

I tried hitting the ball lefty when I was younger and was actually able to "hit" better, although I generated a helluva lot more power batting righty (I swung and missed an inexplicable amount, though), so that may go against that hypothesis. However, I wrote with my left hand until grade school and am still stronger in my left arm, so who knows.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tms298 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:41 pm

Runners in track and field also go counter clockwise.
tms298
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Rkiivs » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:01 pm

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but I would say it also benefits players in the field since most are right-handed.

Just try making all your throws to third base and you'll see what I mean.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers