Why Are the Bases Run Counterclockwise? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why Are the Bases Run Counterclockwise?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby j24jags » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:54 am

mweir145 wrote:
Tavish wrote:
Jimbo OZ wrote:
Tavish wrote:
Two, because cricket runs clockwise. Doubleday (or whomever you want to credit with inventing the game) realized cricket was a stupid sport and wanted to distance themselves from it.

I don't know what cricket you are talking about but the cricket I know doesn't run clockwise or anti-clockwise - they run straight up and down a pitch. That is, the batsmen don't run in a circle to score runs, they run straight up and down.

Even more proof that cricket is a stupid sport.

LMAO.

HAHAHAHAHHAH
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:00 am

blankman wrote:
Tavish wrote:One, because most people are right handed and the throw from any infield position to 1B is easier for a RH person.

This sounds like the best reason to me.

Has to be. There are no left handed throwers playing 2b, ss or 3b that I am aware of. Simply was set up for righties.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Tavish » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:03 am

HiddenIdentity wrote:Agreed. Ive played cricket and it's a lot tougher than baseball. Not only is the bat heavier, but its much faster paced. No gloves, sometimes no helmets, and the ball is harder than a baseball. Plus theyre traveling at the same speed as or faster than a baseball, plus they bounce and alot of times curve after the bounce. Plus, you have to make contect almost everytime, because the ball cannot hit the wickets, which is basically where a catcher would be in real baseball. And I was just describing the sport, not going against Tavish or anything on his joking/random comment. ;-D

Grrrrrrrr I don't know whats worse. The fact that we will never know the answer to the question or that I've turned this entire thread into a cricket discussion. :-o

Thanks for the info H_I. I have a cousin who lives in England and used to visit every few summers. He tried to teach some friends and I cricket every time he visited. It was probably the most frustrating sporting experience of my life. For a game that closely resembles baseball, it felt completely unnatural. We all gave up trying to learn the game and instead constantly asked him what a wicked googly was until he surrendered to playing home run derby.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby wrveres » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:35 am

I would guess it is because of the natural tendencies of RH players, bu I honestly don't know.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:05 am

I remember reading that there was no set rule as to which way you ran the bases until some random dude decided to run to third base one time. He stole second, then stole first, and then stole home. That must have been a long time ago.

After that, they put in the rule that you have to run to first base first. Pretty weird, eh? :-?

I hope I'm not making this up...I seriously read it somewhere. I'll try to find it. :-)

OK...I guess I was partially right. Here's the story about the guy who went the wrong way on the bases:

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseball ... ke_Nig.stm
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby wrveres » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:28 am

Mercer Boy wrote:I remember reading that there was no set rule as to which way you ran the bases until some random dude decided to run to third base one time. He stole second, then stole first, and then stole home. That must have been a long time ago.

After that, they put in the rule that you have to run to first base first. Pretty weird, eh? :-?

I hope I'm not making this up...I seriously read it somewhere. I'll try to find it. :-)

OK...I guess I was partially right. Here's the story about the guy who went the wrong way on the bases:

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseball ... ke_Nig.stm

Clarke, one of the first Canadian players to have an extended stay in the majors, was a highly rated defensive catcher hampered by arm problems. The Tigers' Germany Schaefer exploited Clarke's shortcoming in a tie game against Cleveland. Knowing the sore-armed catcher would have trouble throwing, Schaefer stole second, thinking the runner on third could score. When Clarke refused to throw, Schaefer "stole first base" and then, stealing second again, drew an errant throw from Clarke as the winning run scored.

Interesting story .... ;-D
Hilarious that the catcher decided to throw him out on his 2nd attempt at 2B.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby Bricklayer » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:18 am

Oat Soda wrote:
Tavish wrote:If cricket-lovers took offense I'm sure they'll get over it after the next tea break.

That's what I'm talking about. :-b

And if that dosen't work maybe a good sconeing will... !+)
Bricklayer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Big Papi's Pimps » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:21 am

Just a thought, but don't track and horse racing also go counter clockwise. I know horse racing has been around longer than baseball. That could have been where it came from.

Pimpin' Aint Easy!!!
Big Papi's Pimps
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:28 am

gws226 wrote:It was yet another attempt by america to prove to the world that the steering wheel should be on the left, you should drive on the right side of the road, and that you should always run the opposite way you hang ;-D

Actually, the only countries that drive on the "wrong" side of the road are those that were English colonies at one point in the past. Europe etc. picked the same side America used to prevent English automobile manufacturers from sellijng their cars in Europe due to the dominance of the English automobile.

As for the bases, I hadn't thought about it before, but as I also cannot think of any LH throwing IF (outside of 1B), and as a majority of people are RH, that theory makes the most sense to me.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby RynMan » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:41 am

I hate cricket, and as an Australian I could possibly be crucified for that comment. I dont feel it has half of the strategic brilliance that baseball does.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers