Why Are the Bases Run Counterclockwise? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why Are the Bases Run Counterclockwise?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RynMan » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:30 am

Jimbo OZ wrote:
Tavish wrote:
Two, because cricket runs clockwise. Doubleday (or whomever you want to credit with inventing the game) realized cricket was a stupid sport and wanted to distance themselves from it.

I don't know what cricket you are talking about but the cricket I know doesn't run clockwise or anti-clockwise - they run straight up and down a pitch. That is, the batsmen don't run in a circle to score runs, they run straight up and down.

Haha, was wondering the same thing.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jimbo OZ » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:35 am

Tavish wrote:Even more proof that cricket is a stupid sport.

Don't knock it until you've tried it.

I'm not going to get into a cricket v baseball debate because I love both sports and they are both totally different.

The top baseballers I know have always had a great respect for top cricketers. A former Australian Olympic catcher used to say to me - it is hard enough hitting a 90mph ball on the full let alone when it bounces.
Jimbo OZ
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mweir145 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:37 am

Jimbo OZ wrote:

I'm not going to get into a cricket v baseball debate because I love both sports and they are both totally different.

The top baseballers I know have always had a great respect for top cricketers. A former Australian Olympic catcher used to say to me - it is hard enough hitting a 90mph ball on the full let alone when it bounces.

I've tried it and as you said it is hard, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby gws226 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:37 am

It was yet another attempt by america to prove to the world that the steering wheel should be on the left, you should drive on the right side of the road, and that you should always run the opposite way you hang ;-D
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby warrick95 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:39 am

Rirruto wrote:Funny you ask that, Ichiro was asked by former teamate, Brett Boone, "What if 1st base was where 3rd base was?" Ichiro said he would retire if that ever happened since he perfected his swing and and his sprint to 1st base so he didn't waste one single step.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/ ... hiro&num=1
good read

Ichiro bats left-handed because he's a natural slapper (moreso than righthanders who bat left-handed because that swing uses the right arm more for power)...so he slaps the ball the opposite way. He's a righty, since he throws righty. If the bases were the other way around, Ichiro would've probably come up batting righty instead...which would likely be even more natural for him. Running out of the box while slapping it to the right from the right side would be the same idea. That is, since batting right-handed for a natural righty would give him more control over the bat, while batting left-handed for a natural righty would give him more power.

In college softball, a scary amount of righties are lefty slappers. That is the way that game is played...and how Ichiro plays baseball. Of course, the slap is basically going the other way with the ball while running out of the box. In baseball, Ichiro actually has to poke it through the infield a lot, while a nice, lengthy, high bounce will result in a hit in softball for fast runners.

Really interesting question, though, whatever the answer is. Tavish's response seems very reasonable.
Last edited by warrick95 on Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Oat Soda » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:41 am

Tavish wrote:
Jimbo OZ wrote:
Tavish wrote:
Two, because cricket runs clockwise. Doubleday (or whomever you want to credit with inventing the game) realized cricket was a stupid sport and wanted to distance themselves from it.

I don't know what cricket you are talking about but the cricket I know doesn't run clockwise or anti-clockwise - they run straight up and down a pitch. That is, the batsmen don't run in a circle to score runs, they run straight up and down.

Even more proof that cricket is a stupid sport.

You, of all people, surprise me with your stupid retort. I know nothing about cricket, but I lurk enough to know you usually are right on the money. Sad.
Oat Soda
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby carter » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:48 am

Tavish wrote:Two guesses.

One, because most people are right handed and the throw from any infield position to 1B is easier for a RH person.

I bet they tried it clockwise first, then realized how hard it was throwing to 1st so they switched it
carter
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 15)

Postby Tavish » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:48 am

Oat Soda wrote:
Tavish wrote:
Jimbo OZ wrote:
Tavish wrote:

Even more proof that cricket is a stupid sport.

You, of all people, surprise me with your stupid retort. I know nothing about cricket, but I lurk enough to know you usually are right on the money. Sad.

If you lurk that much you should know I'm full of stupid retorts. Seriously, I was taking a guess, I was wrong. The depth of my cricket knowledge is pretty shallow. If cricket-lovers took offense I'm sure they'll get over it after the next tea break.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby HiddenIdentity » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:54 am

Jimbo OZ wrote:

Agreed. Ive played cricket and it's a lot tougher than baseball. Not only is the bat heavier, but its much faster paced. No gloves, sometimes no helmets, and the ball is harder than a baseball. Plus theyre traveling at the same speed as or faster than a baseball, plus they bounce and alot of times curve after the bounce. Plus, you have to make contect almost everytime, because the ball cannot hit the wickets, which is basically where a catcher would be in real baseball. And I was just describing the sport, not going against Tavish or anything on his joking/random comment. ;-D
HiddenIdentity
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Oat Soda » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:54 am

Tavish wrote:If cricket-lovers took offense I'm sure they'll get over it after the next tea break.

That's what I'm talking about. :-b
Oat Soda
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers