Giles To The Yankees? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Giles To The Yankees?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Giles To The Yankees?

Postby YankFan51 » Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:01 am

I love Giles, and am hoping what I'm hearing about the Yankees inquiring about him is true. Anyone have any information of this? I'd love to read it. I would kill to see Giles in pinstripes.
My hair's turnin' white, my neck's always been red, my collar's still blue
We've always been here tryin' to sing the truth to you
Guess you could say we've always been red white and blue
"Red White and Blue," Lynyrd Skynyrd
YankFan51
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:02 am

I'd like to see that too.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Quaker » Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:17 am

I don't think that will happen. Pittsburgh has been saying for a while now that they'll listen to offers for Giles, but unless it blows their mind they won't do it. The Yankees don't have too much to offer anymore, they've gutted their minor league system. From John Sickels' evaluation on ESPN earlier this year:
"Probably the strongest farm system in the game a couple of years ago, the Yankees system has lost that title due to trades, graduation of prospects to the majors, and injuries"
Maybe the Boss will throw a ton of money at the Pirates and get Giles that way.
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tjhksig » Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:19 am

Fantasy-wise that's great. Real life; I hate it. The Yanks basically buy their way into the playoffs every year. You could give them a team the caliber of the Tigers, and George would buy up guys until they won 95 games.
tjhksig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Leiter Fan » Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:31 am

Even though I hate the Yankees, I'd love to see that move. Unless Brian Giles suddenly reveals that he can pitch middle relief, the Yankees still aren't going to the World Series. Meanwhile, my team and Brian Giles can exploit Yankee Stadium's short porch!! :-D
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Super GM » Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:19 am

I'd hate to see that move. Another All-Star caliber player going to the Yanks...c'mon it's ridiculous. He would join Giambi, Posada, Jeter, Williams, Soriano, Clemens, Mussina and Rivera on the AL-All-Star-Team. That wouldn't be fair! That'd be eight All-Stars for the Yanks.........
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Shermars » Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:14 am

Here is the Scoop from Pittsburgh...

Giles contract is very favorable for this year and next. The Pirates will not be able to keep him once the contract expires. They have not had a winning season in 11 years. If they are ever to turn this around, it will have to be through the Minors. The best prospects in the system are in AA and below. Because of this Giles will not be a Pirate by that time, he will be traded. The only name that I have heard from the NYY is Nick Johnson, but there would have to be more prospects with Johnson. I do not know what the Yankees have.

Giles has also stated that he would love to play with his brother. So look for B. Giles to check out Atl. when he becomes a UFA in 2 years.
I will not rest until I have you holding a coke, wearing your own shoe, playing a Sega game featuring you, while singing your own song in a new commercial starring you, broadcast during a super bowl game you are winning. Show me the $$$!!!
Shermars
College Coach
College Coach

Postby trevisc » Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:16 am

nick Johnson and Weaver for Brian Giles

That's the combo I see happening.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:23 am

Shermars wrote:Here is the Scoop from Pittsburgh...

Giles contract is very favorable for this year and next. The Pirates will not be able to keep him once the contract expires. They have not had a winning season in 11 years. If they are ever to turn this around, it will have to be through the Minors. The best prospects in the system are in AA and below. Because of this Giles will not be a Pirate by that time, he will be traded. The only name that I have heard from the NYY is Nick Johnson, but there would have to be more prospects with Johnson. I do not know what the Yankees have.

Giles has also stated that he would love to play with his brother. So look for B. Giles to check out Atl. when he becomes a UFA in 2 years.

Wow.. think about that. Vinny retires. Chipper back to 3rd. Giles,Andruw,Sheff in the OF. Wouldnt be a better 4 spot on any team. Plus you'd still have Furcal. Lil Giles. Javy if he keeps it up. Although i'm pretty sure he'll be gone after this year. Thats probably the best lineup in baseball if that happens. Pretty close as it is. But adding B.Giles in the mix... wooooweeee!
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Phatjimmy » Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:36 pm

It sounds nice, but if Giles were to ever wear a Braves Uni, it would be on a team lacking Sheffield and Lopez from the main core. But if those two are gone after this year, which is likely, I could see the Braves making a run at Giles in the offseason through a trade.

I long for the days when Ted was in charge. I hate AOL.
"This was supposed to be the summer of George!!!"
Phatjimmy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers