5th place team, need help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

5th place team, need help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

5th place team, need help

Postby rentz » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:32 pm

As the topic said, my team is 5th place in a 12 team points based roto league. The trade deadline is the 14th. I am currently 8points behind 4th place, and 15 behind the first place team. my team is in the top 5 in all pitching catagories except saves.

However I am in the bottom half in all hitting catagories. Ive looked into trades but most of the teams with good hitting also have good pitching. below is my roster, in advice would be great.

R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP
C J. Varitek (Bos - C)
1B Mi. Sweeney (KC - 1B)
2B J. Lugo (TB - 2B,SS)
3B M. Ensberg (Hou - 3B)
SS J. Peralta (Cle - SS)
OF K. Mench (Tex - OF)
OF C. Floyd (NYM - OF)
OF G. Jenkins (Mil - OF)
Util T. Helton (Col - 1B)
BN J. Dye (CWS - OF)
BN T. HafnerDL (Cle - 1B)
DL S. RolenDL (StL - 3B)
SP R. Clemens (Hou - SP)
SP E. Bedard (Bal - SP)
RP J. Mesa (Pit - RP)
RP T. Hoffman (SD - RP)
P C. Schilling (Bos - SP,RP)
P T. Hudson (Atl - SP)
P C. Young (Tex - SP)
BN K. Rogers (Tex - SP)
BN A. Pettitte (Hou - SP)
BN J. Beckett (Fla - SP)

Also, my league does have some interesting pitchers left on the fa wire, duke and farnsworth, i know farnsworth got traded, but from what ive read elsewhere, he might end up the closer. But the only interesting hitters on the wire are d. young and palmeiro
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sowen246 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:23 pm

I would drop Hudson and pick up Duke.

I have really liked Hudson over the years, but this season he just dosen't have it. Duke is on fire and should not be on the wire.

What do you think of mine?
http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/v ... p?t=151915
sowen246
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NZF » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:11 am

Obviously don't contemplate dropping Hudson, that's bad advice. By all means pick up Duke but drop one of your two Rangers pitchers to do it.

Depending on how many innings you have left to use I would look to deal Clemens or Beckett for some stud hitting. Clemens value is sky high and you may be able to get Tejada or Beltran for him. Tejada especially would be a great deal for you, you are weak at SS as well as in the OF (Jenkins really should be waiver wire fodder). If you don't want to lose Clemens then deal Beckett for someone like Carlos Lee who is ready to go on another tear shortly. Bobby Abreu is another who has been average of late who you could pick up on the cheap from a frustrated owner.

Also get Hafner back into your lineup for Helton, he should be good to go against the Yankees tomorrow. I also like Mench to have a great series against the mainly left handed Devil Ray rotation and struggling Baltimore over the next week.

Young and Palmeiro are not worth picking up.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rentz » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:49 am

I dropped young for duke this morning, hopefully young doesnt suddenly go on a tear .

as far as jenkins, i had larry walker as my 4th outfielder, and jenkins was the best option on the wire, he came highly reccomended here.

i would rather part with beckett than clemens, the same guy has carlos lee and abreau, his pitching staff is very similar to mine, so im not sure if i could pry one of those guys away.

then again, this is the same guy who picked up scott shields when i dropped him for bedard, so who knows.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bjm97 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:36 am

Young for Duke was a smart move IMO- I just dropped Young for Patterson myself. I agree with the other posts- look to move a guy like Clemens for a stud bat. If Duke is available on the FA wire- which other pitchers/bats are left? You also might look to move Sweeney- who is finally healthy but could get hurt at any point. You are loaded with Hafner/Helton but could definately use a bigger stick in the OF.
bjm97
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rentz » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:03 pm

the wire is pretty much picked clean as far as hitting goes. but there are a few pitchers of note left. cabrera, lowe, lidle, lowry, urbina, lyon and farnsworth.

i would prefer to hang onto clemens if possible, but he is the only pitcher anyones made any offer on, early in the season someone offered me 3 midlevel guys for him, i obviously turned that down.

i was thinking of maybe packaging a guy like beckett, pettite, or hudson with maybe sweeny or helton. but like i said, the guys who have good hitters are either pretty set for pitching, or are people who dont even update their teams anymore.

all of this help is greatly appreciated.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rentz » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:19 pm

digging around looking at the other teams rosters, i found a few guys i may target.
c. lee, griffey, abreu, sheffield, matsui, mi. cabrera and vlad guerro.

lee abreu and sheffield are all on one team, a guy who has good pitching, and is in the top 4 in the standings, wont be easy to get any of them

griffey would be a little easier, as that team is struggling in most all catagories, same for matsui

vlad and cabreera, would be doable in exchange for pitching, but i dont think the guys even updating his team anymore.

the thing ive noticed is, everyone in my league seems to be average to good in pitching, and then there is a big gap in hitting between the have's and have nots.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bjm97 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:45 am

If Beckett has a good performance tonight I wouldn't hesistate to move him. While he could be dominate the rest of the season he could also be injuried tomorrow. I would post that you have a surplus of 1st basemen and are looking for a big OF bat and see what happens- no reason to overpay if you get a decent offer. How many team league is this again? While the pickings on the FA wire are slim is there any bats left at all?
bjm97
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rentz » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:27 pm

Good plan, if beckett lights it up tonight, his stock might rise. I was also looking at maybe shopping pettite while hes hot.

I cant really shop a 1b until hafner or helton come back from dl, hafner may be today.

as far as bats on the fa wire, its pretty much raffy, c. monroe, swisher, kotsay, d. young, t. clark, klesko, everett, dejesus, counsel. pretty slim pickings.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CeeLoGreen » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:04 pm

Sounds like Clemens is the only pitcher anyone in your league is interested in. I would try to move him, seeing as you may get more value than hes worth. Perhaps trading him for an Ortiz/M. Cabrera type might help. Getting Duke for Young instantly upgrades your staff and the loss of Clemens may not hurt as much. I don't think Duke will be unhittable as he has been lately, however I do think he will be an adequate compliment to your staff. I might also try and deal Hudson on name alone.
CeeLoGreen
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team