Giambi.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Giambi....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby warrick95 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:35 pm

The main problem with Giambi going into this season was confidence...and that is what roids does to you, as with any other performance-enhancing drug. You think you need it and when you stop, you don't think you have the capability to do well. People who don't have their morning caffeine may not feel "up" enough to perform their daily tasks. Part of that may be physical, but a lot of that has to be mental, too. Giambi worked on his stroke, got his timing back, hit a couple out, got his confidence back, and is now a very dangerous hitter again.

This is Exhibit A. IMO that you can succeed without steroids and that the improvements found when taking steroids are not as substantial as some think.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TB13 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:37 pm

warrick95 wrote:The main problem with Giambi going into this season was confidence...and that is what roids does to you, as with any other performance-enhancing drug. You think you need it and when you stop, you don't think you have the capability to do well.

Very well said. I agree 100%. Just becuase Raffy was a cretin and juiced when he knew he shouldn't, does not mean that everyone is as stupid. Having said that, off course there is the possibility that Giambi is back on the juice. However, I would tend to doubt that becuase if he was caught now, the Yanks would pursue every legal remedy to rid themselves of him.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:39 pm

Yeah well confidence seem to have made the SLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW bat a lot faster. I do not understand it myself. I doubt he is stupid enough to be back on the roids. Why he all of a sudden seems to have fixed what was wrong I really have no ides. I have heard all the Mattingly talk about adjusting his swing etc. Maybe. Can't argue with the results.

And as an FYI, Giambi woul dbe putting about 75-80 M at risk if he juiced again and got caught. No one is that much of an imbecile. No one could be that unbelieveably stupid.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:14 pm

I do not know for sure, but I do not think he is on steroids. Guys, steroids are not a miracle drug, no matter how powerful you may think they are. You don't just inject them, and go crush 600 foot homeruns. It takes time. It's not like he woke up on July 1st, and said, "Man I'm tired of sucking and I've got nothing to lose," and pumped some juice into him and went on a tear. It takes time. You have to build up that type of strength over time. You don't flip it on like a switch, which is what Giambi did as soon as July rolled around.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but in no way am I saying it isn't possible.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 58)

Postby Cobra_Kai » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:46 pm

I dunno, I guess I kinda just picture him like Lattimer in the movie "The Program"...after getting off the juice, where he gets bowled over in the end zone and they lose an important game, so the next scene is Lattimer injecting his ass with 'roids while curling like 80 lbs, grunting 'No problem!".

I picture the same scene, right around the middle of June, only with Giambi. Maybe I'm nuts.

To be honest, the only thing that really bothers me is that no one is even bringing it up. It seems like alot of guys, especially those for high-profile clubs like the Yanks get a pass when it comes to stuff like this.

I mean seriously...if Bonds came in 45 lbs lighter last year, had all kinds of bizarre physical ailments, couldn't hit for power worth a damn, basically everything that Giambi went through...then started off this season terrible, followed by a rediculous increase in power during a period when his team was struggling....it'd be on all the networks. "Is Bonds Juicing" would be the headline....I'm just weirded out that nobody was even talking about it. It was all "Giambi's so great, what a tough player, he's working so hard...."
Cobra_Kai
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blankman » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:54 pm

Steriods nearly actually killed the man. Luckily the tumor that developed was benign and they were able to remove it.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Strasil42 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:54 pm

Cobra_Kai wrote:I dunno, I guess I kinda just picture him like Lattimer in the movie "The Program"...after getting off the juice, where he gets bowled over in the end zone and they lose an important game, so the next scene is Lattimer injecting his ass with 'roids while curling like 80 lbs, grunting 'No problem!".

I picture the same scene, right around the middle of June, only with Giambi. Maybe I'm nuts.

I wouldn't believe everything you see on tv or at the movies.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers