More of what you come to expect from the Reds/ - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

More of what you come to expect from the Reds/

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RugbyD » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:03 pm

Drunken Rhino wrote:Ok. We agree.

Are the Reds run by a woman? (In the "I can't make up my mind and don't know what I need" kind of sense.) And no, the ghost of Marge Schott doesn't count.

Marge = Woman ?

were you looking at the same Marge Schott i was? ;-7
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: More of what you come to expect from the Reds/

Postby Sultans of Squat » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:23 pm

Oat Soda wrote:
gofish wrote:"I don't understand what they were doing," said an executive of one contender. "I thought we made real solid offers for a couple of their guys, and we'd never get a response. They'd never give you names of guys they want. They wouldn't tell you what they were trying to do. You were never sure who they wanted. You could never tell whether guys you were talking about were available. And they might not even call back."

I'm sure some guys were saying the same thing about me the first year I played fantasy baseball. I was never sure if I was getting ripped off or not. Sounds like whoever's running the Reds is a novice.

Hmmm... Makes me wonder about this other owner in my keeper league even though he's apparently a longtime regular on this site. :D I really can't understand why an owner would claim to want to trade (and even makes the most posts on the message board saying he wants a trade), but otherwise, seems to do utterly zilch except hit the reject button and offer zero suggestions for counteroffers. Last time he posted asking for a trade, I decided to just post a reply asking him to make me an offer instead -- and predictably, I didn't receive any offers from him, not even a lopsided one. And it's not like I've got nothing worthwhile on my roster either.

Anyway, enough of my rant... :-° I'm glad enough that Dunn's staying put and gets to take further advantage of that bandbox in Cincy although a trade to Houston (plus a long term deal) would've been awesome for me as I get to keep him as long as he stays out of free agency -- and he's basically a top 10-15 bat in our league, trailing only MCab in LF so far this year and holds his own against any 1B not named Pujols (and this year's edition of D Lee).
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby RynMan » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:09 am

Two word sum up the Reds management.

Eric Milton.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:58 am

LOL...Now now...if not for the fact that they could not come to an agreement on terms, Clueless Cashman would have signed Milton to go along with the rest of the clowns he signe dfor us. So Reds management was partly the victim of bad luck. Clueless Brian decided to play hard ball with Milton.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:54 am

gofish wrote:Sellers trade deadline, the Reds bumble things up and didn't get any arms.... :-?
The Reds, on the other hand, sent mixed signals in all directions -- and aggravated more teams than anyone else in baseball.

"I don't understand what they were doing," said an executive of one contender. "I thought we made real solid offers for a couple of their guys, and we'd never get a response. They'd never give you names of guys they want. They wouldn't tell you what they were trying to do. You were never sure who they wanted. You could never tell whether guys you were talking about were available. And they might not even call back."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=2121261&num=2

Actually, I read that a couple of days ago ...
But I read it from Red's management.
They said they were tired of getting phone calls for there players when they had told all of the clubs that they were not making any deals this deadline. I'll see if I can find the article, but apparently Reds Management got so frustrated with the constant phone calls/ rumors for Dunn and Kearns, that they pulled everybody back, including guys like Aurila and stopped returning any calls.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby Pedantic » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:06 am

wrveres wrote:
gofish wrote:Sellers trade deadline, the Reds bumble things up and didn't get any arms.... :-?
The Reds, on the other hand, sent mixed signals in all directions -- and aggravated more teams than anyone else in baseball.

"I don't understand what they were doing," said an executive of one contender. "I thought we made real solid offers for a couple of their guys, and we'd never get a response. They'd never give you names of guys they want. They wouldn't tell you what they were trying to do. You were never sure who they wanted. You could never tell whether guys you were talking about were available. And they might not even call back."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=2121261&num=2

Actually, I read that a couple of days ago ...
But I read it from Red's management.
They said they were tired of getting phone calls for there players when they had told all of the clubs that they were not making any deals this deadline. I'll see if I can find the article, but apparently Reds Management got so frustrated with the constant phone calls/ rumors for Dunn and Kearns, that they pulled everybody back, including guys like Aurila and stopped returning any calls.

Gee, that's smart. This is a business. Of course people are going to be calling if you have a valuable commodity. If the management can't handle that, they have no business running a lemonade stand, let alone a major league franchise. And if they weren't selling, I can see how the Randa trade might send some folks away scratching their heads. I don't think the I'm-so-frustrated-I'm-going-to-go-sit-and-cry-in-the-fetal-position excuse is going to appease any of the fans. This is not the time to be thin-skinned. Reminds me of several fantasy owners I know of... :-[
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby RynMan » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:47 am

TheYanks04 wrote:LOL...Now now...if not for the fact that they could not come to an agreement on terms, Clueless Cashman would have signed Milton to go along with the rest of the clowns he signe dfor us. So Reds management was partly the victim of bad luck. Clueless Brian decided to play hard ball with Milton.

Thats the thing....it wasnt bad luck. It was the fact that the Reds signed one of the most home run prone pitchers in the bigs to pitch in one of the best home run hitting parks in the bigs. A recipe for disaster, hence the 7+ ERA. Surely the Reds have pitchers in AAA that could sustain an ERA less than 6 for 1/30 of the price.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby reznorsboy » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:48 am

That's Too bad. Cincy has a nice ballpark and good fans.
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby linberg » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:51 am

Yeah we are a good bunch of fans, and GABP is really a nice place. If you guys are ever in town, definitely go see a game there. How about whoever decided to make Graves a SP and ruin his career?...

Oh and BTW Marge was definitely no woman. More like bigfoot if he shaved a little but not all the way.
linberg
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 4)

Postby swityak11 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:25 am

As Reds fan, I don't mind the inactivity at all. It seems a lot of these unnamed GMs are just annoyed they couldn't get a Dunn or Kearns for a 4th starter and a maybe prospect. We have the best offense in the NL and to break it apart just for the sake of making a deal is beyond stupid.

I would've preferred they got rid of Casey and Milton but it's not like teams are lining up to take an $8 million per year weak hitting first baseman and 7ERA homerun magnets.
swityak11
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers