Vlad out 6-8 weeks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vlad out 6-8 weeks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby tjhksig » Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:37 am

What is his trade value now? I just offered a guy Worrell/Clement for him, is that too much now?

I have Williamson/Looper/Politte/Cordero as my other closers, and I was considering dropping Clement.
tjhksig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kcs261 » Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:45 am

Why would you trade for him right now? Seriously, Vlad is basically shot for this season (maybe a August or September surge at best). But I say, let him have a full offsesason to recover, and I'll bid on him in 2004. But this year, with this injury, playing on turf, I wouldn't touch Vlad right now. I suppose if you have a DL and can stick him on it, it might be worth the risk. But I wouldn't waste a valuable roster spot on the guy. People have to understand that this injury screws players up because it's a CHRONIC injury to the back. All you have to do is do the research on players with this injury to come to this conclusion. No quick fix exists.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tjhksig » Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:54 am

Ok, I just took back the offer. What's worse, I had offered him Juan Gone for him like 3 days ago....thank God I took that back.
tjhksig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby crazybob60 » Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:20 am

Well get this, a guy came to me with this offer just a second ago --
He wanted Vlad, Buehrle, and Brett Myers
He was giving me Wade Miller, Kyle Lohse, and Adam Dunn
I really didn't want to give up Vlad and he was well aware of Vlad being out, he even made the point himself, and he still did the trade, what do you guys think of this?
crazybob60
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Nero » Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:57 am

Leiter Fan wrote:Bob, you're breaking the first rule of fantasy baseball, to abandon all loyalties to your favorite teams and players. I dropped Al Leiter last week because his WHIP and ERA was killing my team (and I have a screenname fashioned after him!!) That's how you stay in first place!!!

Ohhh...and this whole time I thought you were a Mark Leiter fan...

thanks for clearing that up :-D
Nero
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby kcs261 » Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:12 am

crazybob60 wrote:Well get this, a guy came to me with this offer just a second ago --
He wanted Vlad, Buehrle, and Brett Myers
He was giving me Wade Miller, Kyle Lohse, and Adam Dunn
I really didn't want to give up Vlad and he was well aware of Vlad being out, he even made the point himself, and he still did the trade, what do you guys think of this?

If it's not a keeper league, I'd take that trade in a second. Miller & Lohse = stud pitchers. And Dunn will be a nice substitute for you in the OF. Take the deal and jump in the get-away-car.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amnorix » Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:52 am

That is not only a kick but also a punch to the groin for me. I have him in all three of my leagues.

This is one of the biggest reasons I try to avoid excessive overlap, especially among my stars, in the leagues I'm in. One injury and you have multiple teams going down the toilet.

Injuries are simply an unavoidable fact of life. Nobody is immune. Why anyone would put all their eggs into one basket, I will never understand. Even if he's your favorite player or whatever, it just doesn't make sense to do that.[/quote]
Amnorix

----------------------------------
"You can observe a lot just by watching."

--Yogi Berra
Amnorix
College Coach
College Coach

Postby gregdub » Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:57 am

i managed to get Abreu for him last week when it was uncertain when he would come back. The other owner, as well as myself, figured there was no way he would be out after the all star break. It looks like he will be out most of July as well. Glad I got rid of him when i did. I am a firm believer in damage control instead of wishful thinking.
gregdub

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:15 am

kcs261 wrote:This is why people should have traded Vlad for good value once the announcement that he had a herniated disc was made. Now, since many waited, you won't get anything for him. And with this injury, even when he returns, the normal Vlad is not likely this season at any point. Reason #1: You have to assume that even when he returns he's going to get frequent days off. Reason #2: This is a chronic injury that doesn't just go away. Reason #3: Vlad's herniated disc must be very severe, unlike A-Rod, or else he wouldn't be out 6-8 weeks.

I know i argued with you about panicing especially when it came to a player of Vlad's caliber. But i traded him anyway. More for the reason that he was the one that held the most value among all my hurt players. I had 6 guys go down all in a 3wk period so i had to make some moves. Got Green,Tejada,Colon for Vlad,Rollins and Matsui. So now i like that deal more.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

hm

Postby rjforlife » Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:03 pm

where does this leave vlads trade value in a keeper and just general keeper value...i.e. is he still to be the top outfielder going into next year or what.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers