Andy Marte - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Andy Marte

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Andy Marte

Postby GoPenny » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:53 pm

I know he bombed in his first few go arounds, but what do you think his chances of starting are next year?? baseball america said they would make room for him to start at the beginning of '06..Who do they move?? Chipper isn't going anywhere....First base is LaRoche.....What about Outfield? Francoeur and Andruw are gonna be there....Just want to know if he's worth a flier, he has amazing potential
Thanks
GoPenny
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PhilliesPhan24 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:16 pm

He's still young, and I don't see him being a full time guy next year.

But that's just my opinion.
PhilliesPhan24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby brandnew » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:04 am

He's only had 40 AB's this year. He's very talented, I see him having stats similar to Andruw Jones, pre 2005. However, as you said, he has nowhere to play next year. It should be interesting to see what the Braves will do with him. They may keep him as a backup, as Chipper is becoming a big injury risk, more and more every year, they may trade Chipper (unlikely), or they may trade LaRoche, and move Chipper to 1B.

It's really all up in the air at this point, hard to say whether he'll start or not next year. There's no way he's playing the OF, though.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Sultans of Squat » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:05 am

I guess you guys can't see Chipper moving back into LF next year then? It probably depends a lot on how Johnson and Langerhan pan out and even Francoeur, IMHO. I wouldn't assume so fast that Francoeur's a lock for next year -- it may very well depend on how well he adjusts when opposing teams get a better read on him (and there's always a real possibility that he won't adjust enough for a long time).

Basically, it's still all up in the air.

If you want to take a flier on a 3B right now, why not try Encarnacion? I picked him up for my dynasty-like keeper league in part because I might need some help now w/ Mora slumping (or maybe simply coming back to earth after the last couple years). He doesn't have the same rep as Marte of course, but it seems he's been improving every year and look pretty good so far in his 2nd call-up. Plus the Cincy 3B job is his to lose -- and there's also the advantage of home games in that bandbox and also being surrounded by a few good lefty bats in the lineup too.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:46 pm

Chipper hates the OF and prefers 3B. Don't know whether he'd try 1B, but I highly doubt he heads back to the OF since he's said several times how he feels the running required in the OF has contributed to his leg injuries the past couple of seasons.

As such, unless they trade Chipper, I can't see Marte at 3B in a Braves uniform any time in the near future.

As such, I expect a MCab type of career progression. He may stink at it intitially, but with work in winter ball and ST, my guess is that Marte is in LF next year. I think Langerhans has shown himself to be more of a 4th OF type, which leaves Kelly Johnson in RF (or traded) and Francoeur in AAA (learning how to take a BB) or in RF, if Johnson is traded. Then, when Chipper's contract is up, Marte moves to 3B.

I agree with Sultans, though, that for 2006, Encarnacion would be a better option as a 3B prospect. While Marte may end up at 3B eventually, I don't think it'll happen in 2006 making Encarnacion my choice as well.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Return to Minor League & College Baseball