Roto points league - what is a superior point total? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Roto points league - what is a superior point total?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Roto points league - what is a superior point total?

Postby Danimal » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:52 pm

I'm in a 13-team NL-only points league with 12 categories. I have 138 points. The second place team is 10 points back. The rest are nearly 30 or more points back. I don't think I have it wrapped up, but am heading there if I avoid injuries. My question: What point total constitutes a superior season? I would think 140 points is a very strong season.
My team includes Pujols, Delgado, Atkins, Utley, MCab, Bay, Carpenter, Oswalt and three great closers (I had a great draft).
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Oat Soda » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:03 pm

I would think 140 of 156 total points would be safe, but not insurmountable if you and the second-place guy completely blow away the rest of the league.
Oat Soda
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Danimal » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:33 pm

If my math is correct, 156 points would be the most points a team could achieve and mean the team finishes first in all 12 cats. That would be impressive, to say the least. How often does that happen?
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fiz » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:28 pm

Danimal wrote:If my math is correct, 156 points would be the most points a team could achieve and mean the team finishes first in all 12 cats. That would be impressive, to say the least. How often does that happen?

one in a blue moon aka never
fiz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby ramble2 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:39 pm

It depends on what you mean by a 'superior' point total. I would think that averaging a top two finish in each category would be extraordinary in a 13 team league. In the case of your league, that would be (at least) 12 points per category, or 144 points. Probably unbeatable.

Averaging a top 3 finish in every category also is very impressive. In your case, that would be 132 points. Of course, two teams might both post superior totals though only one wins the league ... :-b

Really it's probably pretty dependent on your league. In my 12 team 10 category roto league, 100 points used to be what was needed to win the league. That's when we had a core of strong players and several managers who were still learning. As the weaker managers in my league have gotten more astute, 100 points has gotten much harder to reach. This year 90 points will (probably) win the league, and 100 points would be astounding.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Trot Nixon » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:12 pm

In my 14 team keeper league, a team has 126 points out of a possible 140 and thats pretty damn amazing if you ask me....well not really if you look at his team, A-Rod, Pujols, Tejada, Sheff, Weeks, Oswalt, Cordero :~( :~( :~(
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby quicksilver8 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:25 pm

I'm in a 12 team Mixed with 10 categories and I have been in the 90's the whole season. The second place guy is in the mid 80's. There is a chance he may catch me, but both of our totals are dominant in a typical format. So, to answer your question, your total does appear to be dominant. If your closest competitor is 30 points away, you are golden.
Official Member of the Andruw Jones hosed me fan club
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Oat Soda » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:49 pm

Just FYI (not gloating since I'm currently in fourth place due to pitching ratios skyrocketing since the break :-[ ), I was in first place despite not leading a single category.

Great draft BTW. How you pulled that off in a 13-team NL-only league will never happen again.
Oat Soda
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mamorris » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:18 am

Well the most common roto league I play in is 12 teams, with 10 catgories. In these leagues, I don't think I have yet seen somebody get 100 points and not win, so I consider that a winnable total. Scaling it up to your league size/cats etc, that would make 130 points a good benchmark, and that would seem to be consistent with your league's results (considering 2nd has 128 points).
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby KolbSaves » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:45 am

mamorris wrote:Well the most common roto league I play in is 12 teams, with 10 catgories. In these leagues, I don't think I have yet seen somebody get 100 points and not win, so I consider that a winnable total. Scaling it up to your league size/cats etc, that would make 130 points a good benchmark, and that would seem to be consistent with your league's results (considering 2nd has 128 points).

I'm at 100 right now and still in second place by 2.5 points in one league :-o
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers