Palmeiro Tested Positive For Steroids... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Palmeiro Tested Positive For Steroids...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby kcs261 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:36 pm

cordscords wrote:Palmeiro apprently is going to face congress again, and give them the full test details.

On ESPNews right now.

Wow. Legally, Raffy should have pulled a Mark McGwire and not answered any of these questions directly. I can't believe he'd go under oath and answer them again. Doesn't seem smart at this point at all.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cordscords » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:04 pm

Now he will be investigated by congress for purjury. More big news.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby agchris02 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:29 pm

The only thing that strikes me odd about the raffy situation is his congressional statemetns.

Did he either
1) Perjur himself intentionally (in which case he's even DUMBER)
2) not understand, either what perjury was, or that lying to congress under oath is perjury
3) assume after he said that to congress that it was ok to START taking roids?

I dont know, something just doesnt quite add up -- taking a MAJOR banned substance like that cant be accidental, but who would go in front of congress, blatantaly lie, THEN SUBJECT THEMSELVES TO A DRUG TEST?

Dumb, dumb, dumb......
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby agchris02 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:31 pm

After reading through half the posts i stopped, so that might have been answered

but as to how much trouble he can get into, apparently a lot -- especially if the results are months old as appears to be true
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RugbyD » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:34 pm

agchris02 wrote:After reading through half the posts i stopped, so that might have been answered

but as to how much trouble he can get into, apparently a lot -- especially if the results are months old as appears to be true

He was tested shortly after the hearings, so i'm not sure what they're expecting to accomplish in this new investigation. Unless they know of evidence that proves he did take roids before the hearing, but i've heard nothing to that effect except Canseco's claims.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby agchris02 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:37 pm

If it does turn out it is stanzanol, after everything is released (if it ever fully is), he doesnt have a leg to stand on, it hasnt been made in the US in 2yrs I believe the report said; and not many dr's percribe it because of "how difficult it is to obtain"

that means he'd have to have hunted it down himself

Sigh, what a moron

Baseball needs to simply adopt IOC testing procedures, with an independant testing service, test athletes, and ban them for one yr first positive test, life after that -- starting in spring training next year

(let the drugs get out of they systems)

and do it right this time, make a spanish list of instructions (prob need a japenese, korean, french, and all too)
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tavish » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:03 am

Amazingly enough the MLB still comes out looking like idiots, even moreso than Raffy in my book.

The test came back positive in May.

Raffy gets hit #3000 in July.

The next day the MLB pays for a full page ad congratulating Raffy while knowing the positive test was heading to an arbitrator.

Does anyone actually think the MLB cares about steroids? Fans love HRs, the MLB loves money.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby curious_george_43545 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:30 am

Tavish wrote:Amazingly enough the MLB still comes out looking like idiots, even moreso than Raffy in my book.

The next day the MLB pays for a full page ad congratulating Raffy while knowing the positive test was heading to an arbitrator.

Does anyone actually think the MLB cares about steroids? Fans love HRs, the MLB loves money.

actually sader then Raffy using the steroids in the first placee :-t
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:39 am

curious_george_43545 wrote:
Tavish wrote:Amazingly enough the MLB still comes out looking like idiots, even moreso than Raffy in my book.

actually sader then Raffy using the steroids in the first placee :-t

It's obvious that MLB doesn't care that much about it...and the fact that it's been going on for a decade or more doesn't help MLB's claim.

I still can't get over why it took three months for a person to get suspended. I know the US hospital system is quite slow, but seriously - baseball could surely afford to have an independent lab test this stuff with haste. This just adds to the validity of the claim that MLB doesn't care about steroids. It sure seems like they were waiting for him to get his 3000th hit so that there would be a "feel good" story before they brought the "feel bad" story of him being on steroids.

I'm thinking Congress is going to step in next year...big time. Get ready for another off season full of steroids talk. Hopefully it will end up with the players getting year-long bans for being on the stuff.
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers