Palmeiro Tested Positive For Steroids... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Palmeiro Tested Positive For Steroids...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:05 am

Oat Soda wrote:
BeefSandwiches wrote:He is screwed in terms of his baseball career and career after baseball (no one would touch him for commentary/color analyst/endorsements) but legally, he probably can't be touched.

I guess now he'll write a "tell-all" book and auction his memorabilia on E-bay.

LMAO ..

You guys are killing me ..
That was the best one yet though .. ;-D
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 734)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:49 am

I actually believed his testimony to the grand jury, but I don't know what to believe now. :-/

Only an idiot would continue to take steroids now, even though the punishment system is a joke, and I don't think Palmeiro's an idiot, yet something set off the buzzer on his urine. :-?

Pretty much everything has already been said, so I'll just respond to this:

Yardbirds wrote:Congress has no business sticking its nose where it doesn't belong.

It doesn't belong? Why not? Just because someone plays baseball, that doesn't mean they can do illegal drugs. That would be like saying everyone who works for General Motors should be able to smoke crack, with no government interference. Doesn't make sense. If baseball decided that none of the players could use chewing tobacco, then that's another story since chewing tobacco is legal. Steroids are not. The goverment has final authority and say so on any illegal activity that goes on in the United States. Doesn't matter who anyone works for, illegal is illegal.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:39 am

Madison wrote:
Yardbirds wrote:Congress has no business sticking its nose where it doesn't belong.

It doesn't belong? Why not? Just because someone plays baseball, that doesn't mean they can do illegal drugs. That would be like saying everyone who works for General Motors should be able to smoke crack, with no government interference. Doesn't make sense. If baseball decided that none of the players could use chewing tobacco, then that's another story since chewing tobacco is legal. Steroids are not. The goverment has final authority and say so on any illegal activity that goes on in the United States. Doesn't matter who anyone works for, illegal is illegal.

Mad, the right way for the congress to involve in this case is to file criminal charges: not what they are doing. What they are doing: talking trash about ball player being role model, blah, blah, blah. Isn't their business.

Now if they can send Palmeiro to correction center after proving that he did use Steroid, that's another story and I would be totally on their side.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby davidmarver » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:17 am

Seeing as Congress decides the rules for America to abide by, it's safe to say that Congress decides what it does and does not investigate. ;-D
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby d18Mike » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:29 am

I agree with Madison re: Palmiero's testimony. I would not have been surpised (or appalled) if had Sosa been caught. There has always been something intuitive about his possible use.

But I listened to the entire Steriods testimony and Palmiero was just so over the top in his condemnation of users compared to the others that his alledhed use more of a comedy than tradgedy. If memory serves me right he volunteered to be on the Committee wth Schillng and Thomas.

If folks are interested in hearing the Steriods testimony in its entirety you can download an MP3 free and legally at http://www.audble.com
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:31 am

hongfu_chen wrote:
Madison wrote:

Mad, the right way for the congress to involve in this case is to file criminal charges: not what they are doing. What they are doing: talking trash about ball player being role model, blah, blah, blah. Isn't their business.

Now if they can send Palmeiro to correction center after proving that he did use Steroid, that's another story and I would be totally on their side.

So you would rather see Congress totally take over then? Handle all the testing, and jail those who do illegal drugs? I'd be all for that one. ;-D

I don't think that's what the original poster wants to see happen. ;-)

Instead of that, since they are athletes and are being cut a break (that none of us would get), they are trying to make sure the penalties are stiff, and trying to convince the players that they are role models for kids, and shouldn't do illegal things because of that. They play a game for millions and millions of dollars. They should not need or choose to break the law. The government is cutting them a ton of slack, so they really should be happy the government isn't actually doing their job by jailing those caught doing illegal drugs.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby josebach » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:37 am

The reason Congress got involved was because the steroid testing policy that MLB presented was a joke.

If a player got caught using steroids, he could either:
1) have the tests be made public and be suspended for X amount of games or...
2) (in small print) pay a fine and keep the test results undisclosed.

Of course when MLB was talking about the policy before the hearings in March, they only made the first part of the policy public. They completely failed to mention to the press that a player could test positive 5 times and never have their name released or serve a suspension.

This was why Congress got involved. As a result of which, the fine option was completely removed and mandatory suspensions and public disclosure were made to be required.

If MLB had stood up to the player's association to begin with, Congress never would have gotten involved.

Here's a good article talking about the impact that the Congressional hearings had on the policy.
http://www.ktvu.com/balco/4301656/detail.html
Last edited by josebach on Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby wrveres » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:46 am

Stole this from Mariottis Column

The numbers don't lie
Allow me to present a statistic for your perusal.
After Palmeiro's first 100 at-bats this year, he had exactly one home run.
In his next 243 at-bats, he hit 18 homers.
That may be nothing more than coincidence, but if we are attempting to get to the bottom of The Steroids Era and protect the game's non-juiced eras, perhaps it is circumstantial evidence.

Here's another spike: In Palmeiro's first four seasons as a regular with the Texas Rangers, after his trade from the Cubs, he hit a collective 70 home runs.
In 1993 -- Jose Canseco's first full season with the Rangers -- Palmeiro's home-run total shot to 37.
After the strike-shortened season in '94, he proceeded to string together seasons of 39, 39, 38, 43, 47, 39, 47, 43 and 38 homers. How does a guy who was dealt by the Cubs because they thought he couldn't hit for power -- as if Mark Grace did? -- wind up with 569 home runs?
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:04 am

the press is cooking Raffy ....

There is some funny stuff in print this morning..

* Canseco - the last honest slugger in baseball? How frightening is that possibility?

* "I have the best law firm and the best lawyer standing in the wings in (Orioles' owner) Peter Angelos," Palmeiro insisted in February. "He stands behind me, and he's ready. I will look at all my options, and I'll decide." Absurd. Insulting. Comical. But not even the most absurd, insulting or comical thing Palmeiro has said in just the past seven months.
Heck, make that just the past seven minutes, and it's probably still true

* Can't any of them get their story straight?
Let's see, Rafael Palmeiro did not have sex with that woman -- oh, what was her name? Monica Lewinsky, that's it! -- and Bill Clinton never used steroids. Ever. Never. Ever. Or maybe it was that he never inhaled them.
Have I got my stories straight?
Honesty may be the best policy, but it is not one employed by either presidents or ballplayers when caught in blatant untruths with their pants down, both figuratively and literally.
Refresh my memory: Just where was it, again, on Palmeiro's anatomy that Jose Canseco said he injected steroids? :-D
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:05 am

I wouldn't be surprised if there are other big name players who tested positive already.

I'm guessing they started exposing Palmeiro b/c he is the biggest name. I'm sure a lot of names will come up soon.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers