Phil Nevin - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Phil Nevin

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Phil Nevin

Postby waterproof » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:50 am

The one assignment that is certain for Nevin with the Texas Rangers is serving as the designated hitter against lefthanded hurlers. Because Nevin can catch, play either infield corner and in the outfield, he should get enough at-bats filling in at different positions. Nevin batted .256 with nine home runs and 47 RBI in 73 games for the Padres.

Could he pick up multiple position eligibility this season? I could really use a guy like that.

His numbers should get better in Texas too.
waterproof
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Drunken Rhino » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:59 am

I wouldn't count on it. I'm pretty sure he'll just be the regular DH. We'll see how Buck uses him in the following week at Home vs. Tampa and Baltimore... 2 struggling teams w/ suspect pitching.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bdrotoronto » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:29 pm

Texas was in town here this weekend, word I was hearing from radio interviews is that Showalter likes the way Nevin might be usable as a 3rd catcher, i.e. to help pinch-hit or pinch-run for their starting catchers late in games. So he probably won't start any games there, but he might get into a few games or so in late innings. That said, the amount of time it will take for him to accrue C eligibility will likely be of no benefit to you this year, only possible benefit might be in a keeper league. And even then, his numbers haven't been so great.
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers