Cruz Jr. Traded to Boston - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cruz Jr. Traded to Boston

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby nsulham » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:33 pm

Actually now that I think about it, I like it even more because they got the reserve RF they were looking for without giving up Shoppach and Stern, as was rumored in the Bigbie trade.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nsulham » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:33 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:Exactly the reasons I don't like it. With Winn gone, and no other CF on the market, the Yankees should've made a run at him.

Where do you think they'll look, honestly. They can't keep going with some combination of Crosby/Womack/Bernie in center, can they? :-?

I thought Melky was supposed to be the savior in CF? At least he was hyped to be in his first few games :-b
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby uucrook3d » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:52 pm

nsulham wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:Exactly the reasons I don't like it. With Winn gone, and no other CF on the market, the Yankees should've made a run at him.

Where do you think they'll look, honestly. They can't keep going with some combination of Crosby/Womack/Bernie in center, can they? :-?

I thought Melky was supposed to be the savior in CF? At least he was hyped to be in his first few games :-b

yeah the rumor is that the yankee scouts were out binge drinking the night they told cashman and the boss that melky was a good fielder :-° of course he did get player of the week, although that was just on a card given to him by trot nixon :-D
uucrook3d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:53 pm

I'm surprised the Yankees have not made any moves yet. Calm before the storm I think.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:13 am

Transmogrifier wrote:

Word is, Kevin Thompson is supposed to be a pretty good player and I've read that other scouts think the Yankees are too dumb to even realize his potential. He's been tearing it up this year and he was promoted to AAA Columbus yesterday. If the Yankees don't make a deal for a CF by tomorrow, he'll probably see playing time sometime in mid-late August.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:41 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:Word is, Kevin Thompson is supposed to be a pretty good player and I've read that other scouts think the Yankees are too dumb to even realize his potential. He's been tearing it up this year and he was promoted to AAA Columbus yesterday. If the Yankees don't make a deal for a CF by tomorrow, he'll probably see playing time sometime in mid-late August.

Not trying to rain on your parade or anything, but being 25 in AA doesn't usually scream everyday major league player. Servicable platoon optoin maybe, but not much more. I guess he is a better option than what they've got now because he's so much young er than Williams/Womack and has a little more upside than Crosby. BTW, outside of his nice year this year, he's not really been that great of a prospect.
Code: Select all
Exp    G   AB   H   HR SB  CS BB  SO  AVG  OBP  SLG  OPS    BB:K PA/K PA/BB PA/HR
5 yrs  421 1593 430 36 145 32 216 274 .270 .361 .422 .738   .72  6.06 8.37  50.25

I know that there are some guys who make it to the show and "figure it out" but given his history and the situation/pressure he's coming into, I wouldn't be getting my hopes up thinking he's going to come in and be a savior of some sort.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby theclefe » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:44 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:

Word is, Kevin Thompson is supposed to be a pretty good player and I've read that other scouts think the Yankees are too dumb to even realize his potential. He's been tearing it up this year and he was promoted to AAA Columbus yesterday. If the Yankees don't make a deal for a CF by tomorrow, he'll probably see playing time sometime in mid-late August.

Thompson is 25 and has struggled the past few years in AA. Great speed and a good defender but will be a .250 hole in the Yankees lineup. He is hitting well enough this year to deserve a look, but he isn't the answer.

Doesn't this give the Red Sox a dozen outfielders? I can't keep track. And if they get Huff that will give them a dozen first basemen? Maybe they should adjust their priorities and find a closer.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:56 am

I'm not saying he's the answer or that he's going to be any good at all. I really don't know much at all about the kid, just reporting what I've read. And the Yankees don't really have many options, so they might as well give him a shot.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby mweir145 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:06 am

Jose Cruz Jr, the former Jay, in a deal for minor prospects, eh.

Well his best years are behind him(his best years were as a member of Toronto, I believe he managed to become a member of the 30-30 club), but he should be fill the void in RF. Good deal for the Sox. ;-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

Postby thehat » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:10 am

Personally, I think Cruz is terrible. He's seemingly lost a step with these back issues, and he can't hit.

I guess you can say that (as with NY taking a shot at Nomo/Embree) they got him for next to nuthin', but it's a sure thing I'd rather have Kapler in RF while Trot is out rather than Cruz.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers