Winn Traded to the Giants - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Winn Traded to the Giants

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby uucrook3d » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:33 pm

keep in mind that winn is notoriously a strong 2nd half player but why in the world arent the giants selling. are they basing this on the hopes that barry comes back next year? do they really think that they can go anywhere this year?? i mean assuming they make the playoffs what is there rotation? schmidt, lowry, hennessey??? i struggled to come up with those names. and dont get me started on their bullpen. why does sabean have a job?
uucrook3d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:33 pm

As someone who follows the minors, I can't help but notice the Giants traded away every good young arm they had (except Cain).

Nathan, Boof, Liriano, Jerome, & Foppert.....
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby warrick95 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:38 pm

hybrid wrote:As someone who follows the minors, I can't help but notice the Giants traded away every good young arm they had (except Cain).

It was better than our idea of "trading" Winn for Lou Piniella. What an awful fit as manager.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nsulham » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:38 pm

I'd love to hear the Giants fans take on this. Foppert and Torrealba for Winn? Really?

I know Foppert had the TJ done but he's still a high-end arm and should have fetched a lot more than Randy Winn.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby hybrid » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:41 pm

nsulham wrote:I'd love to hear the Giants fans take on this. Foppert and Torrealba for Winn? Really?

I know Foppert had the TJ done but he's still a high-end arm and should have fetched a lot more than Randy Winn.

He hasn't been the same high end arm since 2003 when he was hurt. He really has no control now and sits right around 90, not mid 90's where he used to.

I still doesn't make much sense for the Giants, but Fopperts value right now was/is pretty low.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:43 pm

nsulham wrote:I'd love to hear the Giants fans take on this. Foppert and Torrealba for Winn? Really?

Agree. Is there something about Foppert that he's no longer considered a part of the future such that he's dumped with another player for a middling LF with no outstanding traits (not a power hitter, decent speed, so-so defense, etc.).

Just seems like a really bad trade for the Giants. I'm curious as to what SF fans must think.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Yoda » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:43 pm

hybrid wrote:As someone who follows the minors, I can't help but notice the Giants traded away every good young arm they had (except Cain).

Ainsworth too even though he is toast.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby nsulham » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:45 pm

hybrid wrote:

He hasn't been the same high end arm since 2003 when he was hurt. He really has no control now and sits right around 90, not mid 90's where he used to.

I still doesn't make much sense for the Giants, but Fopperts value right now was/is pretty low.

I guess that's to be expected after the surgery. I just figured they could get a lot more than Winn, whether Foppert's not the same as he once was or not.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby uucrook3d » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:46 pm

yorvy was their catcher of the future b4 they signed matheny too. i remember the pitchers loving him compared to aj. i am dumbfounded.
uucrook3d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hybrid » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:47 pm

nsulham wrote:
hybrid wrote:

I guess that's to be expected after the surgery. I just figured they could get a lot more than Winn, whether Foppert's not the same as he once was or not.

I agree, but have the Giants received anything of good value for any of their young arms? IMO, none of them have been for good value.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers