Internships - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Internships

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Internships

Postby RyanK » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:31 pm

Being that most of the people on this board are in college or out of college, I was curious as to the benifits/disadvantages of doing interships.

I was offered to work with my dads stock broker at his company this year/next summer, so basically when im on break from school and in the summer. I still am not sure where I want to go to college but bussiness is one of the things im looking into..

any comments would be appreciated, thanks
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Big Pimpin » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:58 pm

I did an internship between my junior and senior years of college, and it went so well that they hired me to work part time from home over my senior year. I didn't go to work for them, didn't want to live in Seattle, but it looked very good on my resume when I applied and interviewed for jobs come graduation time.

Doing well in school will not necessarily transfer to easily getting a job. I would highly recommend an internship. Not only does it give you valuable experience in a corporate setting (or non-corporate, depending on your field, but experience nonetheless), but it also gives you a chance to see if it's something you're interested in for a long-term career.

If you go for an internship in a field you're interested in and decide you don't like it (and you obviously won't do everything you'd do on the job, but it gives you a taste for sure), then you can look in another direction. That's much better than taking a job, hating it and quitting, then trying to find another job. That looks like lack of commitment which no one wants in an employee.

Good luck.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:04 pm

Yeah, I agree. I've never done an internship, but I wish I had. Just graduated from college this May, and I've yet to find a job. So broke.... :,-( ....but so many posts.... :-b
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby stevethumb » Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:15 pm

not to be mean, ryank, BUT check your spelling on your resume...benefits and business tsk tsk...some employers frown upon those small miscues and may mean the difference between a job and a place in the unemployment line
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby RyanK » Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:54 pm

stevethumb wrote:not to be mean, ryank, BUT check your spelling on your resume...benefits and business tsk tsk...some employers frown upon those small miscues and may mean the difference between a job and a place in the unemployment line

Yeah.. spelling is my kryptonite... spell check is my 2nd love to girls...

On resumes and other important things I definatly look over my spelling

Big Pimpin- thanks for the post, very insiteful
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:43 pm

stevethumb wrote:not to be mean, ryank, BUT check your spelling on your resume...benefits and business tsk tsk...some employers frown upon those small miscues and may mean the difference between a job and a place in the unemployment line

definitely true.....

when i have to hire some new people,,,, 2 of the first things i look at on their resume and application::::::: spelling and to see if they answered the box on the back of the application that plainly states------do not fill out----- i love that little box ;-D ;-D ,,,, i put it in our application myself....... gets rid of the people from the beginning that i already know cant read or cant follow directions.......

but as far as your original question,,,, i would definitely take the internship for the summer..... even if you do not like the work,,, it will help you out later down the road......
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:41 pm

I wasn't a business major (Comp Sci) but I did an internship my senior year in H.S. as well as my Jr/Sr years at college. None of the internships directly applied to what I actually do for a living but the work experience definitely payed off and even though I didn't figure out my calling until a few years later it helped me know what I didn't want to do. The more tools you have in your utility belt the better and it certainly can't hurt. ;-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Fireball Express » Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:54 pm

When I was in school I took a full time summer internship w/ Merrill Lynch in Office Systems. They kept me on after the summer. A few months later there was a major re-org, merging 2 departments into 1. Since I was low man on the totem pole I was let go.
Such is corporate life and I learned from that. It's part of the reason I work for myself today.
I gained a lot from the experience , including carnal knowledge of my immediate supervisor.

For anyone interested in studying the Culinary Arts there is an unpaid internship available at my restaurant. Although it does not pay you get to eat all you want (except Veal, Shrimp and Steak), learn to speak Spanish, and gain the valuable experience in the work place that is required before attending culinary school.

Only thing better than cheap labor is free labor.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Return to General Talk