Arnold Palmer needs to retire - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Arnold Palmer needs to retire

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Arnold Palmer needs to retire

Postby emb0lus » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:16 pm

I just got back from the second round of the US Senior Open and I have to say that Arnie looks older than Moses. He was using his putter as a crutch while walking from his 100 yard approach shot in. I then got to thinking, what other sport has such a large discrepancy in age? There were early 50 year olds out there, at least 25+ years younger than Arnie. I suppose the PGA is the same with guys like Norman still playing with Tiger in some events and then turning around and playing on the senior tour.

Screw social security. You can make decent money on the senior tour so I figure I have 25 years to practice my golf game so that I can retire, qualify for the senior PGA, and play with Tiger, Phil, Vijay and the like.
emb0lus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:47 pm

The PBA (Professional Bowler's Tour) is that way. There's also a senior tour, but a lot of the older guys stay in the PBA as long as possible, so there's a pretty big age difference in that sport as well.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:45 am

He was an ambassador and they still love to see him so I have no problem with it. Let him play. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:02 am

kingctb27 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:He was an ambassador and they still love to see him so I have no problem with it. Let him play. ;-D

I agree with this, but there comes a point in time when you have to let go.......

I will only agree if he is taking the spot of someone else that might have a chance.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:15 am

Lofunzo wrote:
kingctb27 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:He was an ambassador and they still love to see him so I have no problem with it. Let him play. ;-D

I agree with this, but there comes a point in time when you have to let go.......

I will only agree if he is taking the spot of someone else that might have a chance.

I've always been torn on this issue. Not just in golf but all sports. I hate to see guys play well past their prime, but then again I could never understand the drive and competitiveness that took them to the top either. If I was in charge, all guys would go out on top like MJ (the first or second time) or Elway or something like that. I hate to see players who are shells of their former selves, but that's their prerogative and who am I to question it. I guess I said all that to say that I agree with Lo, if he's taking the spot of someone who deserves it more then I think you have to tap him on the shoulder and let him know it's time, but then you get into a whole dicey situation like with the Masters a couple years ago when they did away with the lifetime former champion exemption. You also have to think of it from a financial perspective. A struggling Arnie would no doubt bring in more fans/viewership than some Joe Nobody who would be next in line to take the spot.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:16 am

I think he might have read this thread.. :-?

KETTERING, Ohio (AP) -- Arnold Palmer, the king of seven Grand Slam events and five more as a senior, bid an emotional farewell Friday to his 50-year major championship career.

``It's not fun when you play as poorly as I played,'' the 75-year-old Palmer said after shooting an 81 to miss the cut by a wide margin at the U.S. Senior Open. ``My tournaments are getting down to a very few. As far as trying to compete in major championships such as the Open and other tournaments, this is it. I'm through doing it. I'm not going to do it anymore.''
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:21 am

kingctb27 wrote:

Here is a answer as to why he entered this event:

"Palmer elected to play in the Senior Open because the sponsoring USGA and the tournament's local organizers asked him to. He also wanted to be on hand when Nicklaus was honored on Wednesday night. Nicklaus then left for a fishing trip to Iceland, while Palmer remained behind to play in high heat and humidity."Am I emotional? Certainly,'' he said. ``How can I not be? I was on the Champions Tour or seniors tour for 25 years and I feel very fortunate to have lived long enough to do that. That has a lot of sentiment to it. It is very emotional.'' " AP
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby emb0lus » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:13 pm

mweir145 wrote:I think he might have read this thread.. :-?

KETTERING, Ohio (AP) -- Arnold Palmer, the king of seven Grand Slam events and five more as a senior, bid an emotional farewell Friday to his 50-year major championship career.

``It's not fun when you play as poorly as I played,'' the 75-year-old Palmer said after shooting an 81 to miss the cut by a wide margin at the U.S. Senior Open. ``My tournaments are getting down to a very few. As far as trying to compete in major championships such as the Open and other tournaments, this is it. I'm through doing it. I'm not going to do it anymore.''

actually, I had not read that yet but I was there and watched him play so bad that I felt sorry for him and I was looking around to make sure there was a first aid tent nearby when I watched him walk up some of the hills.

He may draw some people in but not as many as you would think. He did not have a big crowd following him yesterday or Wednesday although he did not have a good pairing. Since he played in the afternoon, the gallery was following Norman and the group of North/Kite/Strange and some with Zoeller.

He can still be a great ambassador to the game withouth playing. I just don't like to see athletes hang on too long. The younger generation will see Palmer out there and that will be their only lasting memory of him struggling to walk up the hill to the 15th or leaning on his caddie or his putter for support.
emb0lus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to General Talk