Manny, Baez to Mets - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Manny, Baez to Mets

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DK » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:22 pm

Rirruto wrote:
DK wrote:It's the fact that he is the better hitter, and since he's Latin he brings more $$ to the box office.

I doubt that, even with Latin players such as Beltran, Pedro, Reyes, etc., the seats at Shea are still prodominantly filled by White fans. If Manny was a Met, it would bring in more money because he was Manny, not because he's Latin.

I'd have to see actual figures to agree with you on that, I've been to a few games this year and have seen many Latin fans there.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rirruto » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:24 pm

DK wrote:
Rirruto wrote:
DK wrote:It's the fact that he is the better hitter, and since he's Latin he brings more $$ to the box office.

I doubt that, even with Latin players such as Beltran, Pedro, Reyes, etc., the seats at Shea are still prodominantly filled by White fans. If Manny was a Met, it would bring in more money because he was Manny, not because he's Latin.

I'd have to see actual figures to agree with you on that, I've been to a few games this year and have seen many Latin fans there.

I didn't say there weren't any Latino fans at Shea, I said fans at Shea are predominantly White; just like at most sports venues.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby gws226 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:04 am

Transmogrifier wrote:Sure, Manny is a better hitter. But his ethnicity comes in to play--of course it does! Minaya has pretty much said it straight out--that's why he went so hard after Beltran and Pedro.

It's the reason why the Yanks will pay whatever they need to to sign Matsui--he brings them huge ad revenue alone.

Ya know, I really hate that in sports. For me its never been about where someone is from, its all about how they competed as a person. I have as many minority friends as I do white friends, and Im white...... but I might be against the mold.

I imagine that if Omar purposefully stocks the team and takes preference towards one ethnicity, that there will be a backlash from the others. Especially if I hear that he passed on Adam Dunn for less then what it would of cost him to land other players just because he's white.
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DK » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:35 am

gws226 wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:Sure, Manny is a better hitter. But his ethnicity comes in to play--of course it does! Minaya has pretty much said it straight out--that's why he went so hard after Beltran and Pedro.

It's the reason why the Yanks will pay whatever they need to to sign Matsui--he brings them huge ad revenue alone.

Ya know, I really hate that in sports. For me its never been about where someone is from, its all about how they competed as a person. I have as many minority friends as I do white friends, and Im white...... but I might be against the mold.

I imagine that if Omar purposefully stocks the team and takes preference towards one ethnicity, that there will be a backlash from the others. Especially if I hear that he passed on Adam Dunn for less then what it would of cost him to land other players just because he's white.

I explained this already... Look up a few posts.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Iconoclastic » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:52 pm

Mark Teixeira isn't Latino???
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fireball Express » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:00 pm

Iconoclastic wrote:Mark Teixeira isn't Latino???

He was born here in the good ole US of A. However that is an interesting surname. Maybe his ancestors were from Mexico? Just guessing there. Anyone know for sure?
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:01 pm

I guess he is. Born in the U.S. but he is of Portuguese descent.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bd3521 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:03 pm

Tex is of Mexican descent and "born in the USA," as Bruce would say.
Last edited by bd3521 on Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:07 pm

Lol. He's Portuguese not Mexican, look it up.

http://www.portuguesefoundation.org/famous.htm
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Rirruto » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:08 pm

Manny Ramirez spoke to the Red Sox print media today at Fenway Park, telling the assembled reporters he is happy playing in Boston and wants to stay with the Sox, the Globe’s Gordon Edes reported. Ramirez also said he gets along with Terry Francona, and that, contrary to reports, he didn’t pull himself out of the Red Sox lineup last night. Francona is planning on keeping Ramirez out of today’s lineup as well.

Ramirez (along with Kevin Millar) had entered Francona’s office as reporters were talking with the Sox manager. Buckley said that Francona had planned to bring Ramirez into his office so the slugger could clear the air with the media.

The Providence Journal’s Sean McAdam called it “another bizarre moment in a week full of them.”
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers