Manny, Baez to Mets - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Manny, Baez to Mets

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:52 pm

DK wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:If the Red Sox can turn Milledge into Dunn, why the hell can't the Mets? Would it not make sense to trade Milledge for Dunn, and put Dunn at first base, thus solving a HUGE problem in the Mets lineup?

I suppose it's still a possibility if the Manny deal falls through but if Cincy is that interested in Milledge, I would think we'd have heard some larger rumors involving Dunn and the Mets. :-?

For two reasons:

A) Minaya's got a fascination with Latin players. NY is one of the largest Latin markets out there, and Minaya being hispanic himself wants to see that out on the field.

B) Manny's a better hitter than Dunn. Dunn's already hitting .240, put him in the Mets lineup he'll hit .190 at Shea.

The Mets want Manny, not Dunn... although Dunn in a Mets uniform would be interesting.

A: You're completely right. Omar really wants to bring Manny to shea. Not Dunn.

B:Manny is a better hitter than Dunn. But Dunn is much cheaper, much younger, and would cost less in a trade. Not to mention, in real baseball he is better than his .250 average dictates. Batting average is only half the story, it's his .390 OBP that interests me. And the way he kills the ball, I honestly don't think Shea would hurt him that much. He's got a good eye, and he gets on base. We need that in our lineup. I think he is overrated for fantasy terms, (since OBP is not an issue) but in the real world he is a very very valuable player.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Transmogrifier » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:00 pm

Stark's latest update is crazy. It says that TB wanted BOTH Lester and Hanley. Geez, ever since Lamar got Kazmir, he wants the best prospect no matter what trash he's selling.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby jbones733 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:01 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:Stark's latest update is crazy. It says that TB wanted BOTH Lester and Hanley. Geez, ever since Lamar got Kazmir, he wants the best prospect no matter what trash he's selling.

Lamar is a freaking nutjob
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:02 pm

I'm not saying that the Mets should want Dunn over Manny. Manny is far and away the better hitter, and always will be. However, it is dumb to strictly build your team on latin players only. If Mark Texiera was available, your telling my Minaya wouldn't be interested because he isn't latin? If that's the case, Minaya is an idiot. Ethnicity of a player should not outweigh the talent of a player.

And I was just thinking that the Mets could stir something up with Cincy and scare the Sox into thinking they will be stuck with Manny if they don't lower their asking price. Even if it doesn't work, I would think that it'd be worth a try.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Rirruto » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:07 pm

This is getting a little ridiculous, this has nothing to do with ethnicity...
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby DK » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:10 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:I'm not saying that the Mets should want Dunn over Manny. Manny is far and away the better hitter, and always will be. However, it is dumb to strictly build your team on latin players only. If Mark Texiera was available, your telling my Minaya wouldn't be interested because he isn't latin? If that's the case, Minaya is an idiot. Ethnicity of a player should not outweigh the talent of a player.

And I was just thinking that the Mets could stir something up with Cincy and scare the Sox into thinking they will be stuck with Manny if they don't lower their asking price. Even if it doesn't work, I would think that it'd be worth a try.

It's not that his ethnicity outweighs other hitting ability. It's the fact that he is the better hitter, and since he's Latin he brings more $$ to the box office. It's more of just a bonus. Minaya's gotta be thinking about the owners, too. Granted, Manny costs much more than Dunn does, but he'll (or Minaya believes he'll) more than make up for it. If you're a young Latin guy, who are you going to pay to see, Adam Dunn or Manny Ramirez?

If Teixiera was available the Mets would be way up there trying to get him. If he was Latin, it would be that much better. It doesn't detract from the Mets' interest, it simply is a bonus to the Mets to add a Latin player.

It's about talent first, no doubt. Nobody's saying otherwise. But the Latin factor is definitely there.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Transmogrifier » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:13 pm

Sure, Manny is a better hitter. But his ethnicity comes in to play--of course it does! Minaya has pretty much said it straight out--that's why he went so hard after Beltran and Pedro.

It's the reason why the Yanks will pay whatever they need to to sign Matsui--he brings them huge ad revenue alone.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:19 pm

DK wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:I'm not saying that the Mets should want Dunn over Manny. Manny is far and away the better hitter, and always will be. However, it is dumb to strictly build your team on latin players only. If Mark Texiera was available, your telling my Minaya wouldn't be interested because he isn't latin? If that's the case, Minaya is an idiot. Ethnicity of a player should not outweigh the talent of a player.

It's not that his ethnicity outweighs other hitting ability. It's the fact that he is the better hitter, and since he's Latin he brings more $$ to the box office. It's more of just a bonus. Minaya's gotta be thinking about the owners, too. Granted, Manny costs much more than Dunn does, but he'll (or Minaya believes he'll) more than make up for it. If you're a young Latin guy, who are you going to pay to see, Adam Dunn or Manny Ramirez?

If Teixiera was available the Mets would be way up there trying to get him. If he was Latin, it would be that much better. It doesn't detract from the Mets' interest, it simply is a bonus to the Mets to add a Latin player.

It's about talent first, no doubt. Nobody's saying otherwise. But the Latin factor is definitely there.

I see what you mean, and it does make sense. I just was disturbed at the idea of not having interest in a player because he isn't latin. I see that's not really the case though.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Rirruto » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:20 pm

DK wrote:It's the fact that he is the better hitter, and since he's Latin he brings more $$ to the box office.

I doubt that, even with Latin players such as Beltran, Pedro, Reyes, etc., the seats at Shea are still prodominantly filled by White fans. If Manny was a Met, it would bring in more money because he was Manny, not because he's Latin.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby DK » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:21 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
DK wrote:

I see what you mean, and it does make sense. I just was disturbed at the idea of not having interest in a player because he isn't latin. I see that's not really the case though.

Yeah, you read me incorrectly. Which is easy to do, since I didn't really explain it well enough the first time. It's more of "He's a good hitter, and he's hispanic" rather than "He's hispanic, so he's a good hitter."
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers