Manny, Baez to Mets - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Manny, Baez to Mets

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Manny, Baez to Mets

Postby Mets4Life » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:05 pm

Got a call from my brother saying he heard from somewhere that the Mets are getting both Manny and Baez, and that the Manny deal could be done by tonight...any news on this?
Mets4Life
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ilsa » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:08 pm

They just mentioned it on Sportscenter but I wasn't paying too much attention. From what I got it was somehow a three team deal with Manny going to the Mets and Baez and Huff being traded from Tampa Bay.
ilsa
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rlee » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:10 pm

I missed the details on this (had to go to the bathroom and was late getting back), but ESPN had a comment about a deal involving the Mets, Rays and Bosox. I did hear them say that Buster Olney would be on top of this story. Sorry I can't give corroboration, but apparently there is some smoke. :-? :-?
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby j24jags » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:10 pm

IMO theres no way this happens, Manny, Baez to Mets
huff to BOS
prospects to TB
-the red sox wud want more for manny definitly and i dont c y the drays need more prospects.....

buts lets hope it happens!
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Mets4Life » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:11 pm

Yeah, he said something about Huff going to Boston, I think. He wasn't realyl too sure either, just wondering if anyone else heard anything
Mets4Life
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby warrick95 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:12 pm

Party, party, party! Hopefully we're getting Petit or Milledge. I love the Mets. I really do. Hanley Ramirez is who I want, but the BoSox's part of the deal is already even.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby giambiformvp » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:13 pm

Yeah, I heard this on ESPN too.

Huff to BOS
giambiformvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby hybrid » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:13 pm

The rumor is...

Mets get: Manny and Baez
Red Sox get: Huff and Cameron
Rays get: prospects (2 from the mets, 2 from the red sox..they were not named)

Personally I wouldn't mind the trade at all, if the Mets want to keep giving us their prospects it's alright with me. :-b
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Mets4Life » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:13 pm

warrick95 wrote:Party, party, party! Hopefully we're getting Petit or Milledge. I love the Mets. I really do. Hanley Ramirez is who I want, but the BoSox's part of the deal is already even.

I'd be happy as long as Petit isn't part of the deal ;-D
Mets4Life
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:14 pm

This is a Boston Globe rumor from earlier. Have no idea if its valid.

The Red Sox Friday afternoon were involved in ''very serious'' negotiations with the New York Mets regarding a trade for outfielder Manny Ramirez, a source with direct knowledge of the negotiations told the Globe's Gordon Edes. That source said a third team, the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, was also involved, but as of late this afternoon, no agreement had been finalized on the other players and the money involved. Another industry source with direct knowledge of the negotiations did not confirm the three-way deal, but acknowledged that the Sox have talked to more than one team about Ramirez. Under the principal scenario discussed by the teams -- according to one of the clubs involved in the negotiations -- the Red Sox would receive infielder/outfielder Aubrey Huff from the Devil Rays and outfielder Mike Cameron from the Mets. The Mets would receive Ramirez from the Sox and closer Danys Baez from the Devil Rays. Tampa Bay would receive a number of prospects, possibly from both clubs. If the Sox have to deal a prospect, it could be Double-A pitcher Anibal Sanchez. ''I'm not sure this thing is really going to happen, but it's definitely being discussed,'' the source said. It is unknown whether the Mets would assume the remaining $64 million on Ramirez's contract or whether the Sox would assume some portion of that amount. The trade talks come just two days before Sunday's 4 p.m. trading deadline and in the aftermath of Ramirez's refusal to play in Wednesday's game against Tampa Bay, even though outfielder Trot Nixon had been injured the night before. But one source stressed that the Red Sox have an additional motivation to make this deal: Ramirez, after this season, has the right to veto a trade under baseball's ''10-5'' rule, which applies to players with 10 years experience, five consecutively with the same club.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers